Politics

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: Politics

Post by phuqueue »

Not sure that people are "hesitant" to talk about it because it's about race (at least, I'm not), just not sure what there really is to say about the mayor supporting a symbolic city ordinance urging Congress, which doesn't answer to the KC city council, to do something. If you're actually just trying to bait people into a conversation about reparations, then just say you want to talk about reparations. I think I can already picture how that conversation would go, though.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

phuqueue wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:44 am Not sure that people are "hesitant" to talk about it because it's about race (at least, I'm not), just not sure what there really is to say about the mayor supporting a symbolic city ordinance urging Congress, which doesn't answer to the KC city council, to do something. If you're actually just trying to bait people into a conversation about reparations, then just say you want to talk about reparations. I think I can already picture how that conversation would go, though.
I was just making a joke. I don’t care to discuss the topic myself, especially not with some folks on here, like you, that think you know me and my opinions before even having the conversations.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Sounds like a big day in NKC. Would be amazing if the pro-transit people get elected.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Biden to nominate Robin Carnahan as administrator of General Services Administration

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/06/politics ... index.html

Sen. Roy Blunt is supporting her nomination. She ran against Blunt in 2010. She is a former Missouri Secretary of State, and daughter to the late, former Gov. Mel Carnahan, and former Senator Jean Carnahan.

https://twitter.com/RoyBlunt/status/137 ... 33989?s=20
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

https://amp.kansascity.com/news/politic ... 05159.html

Lenexa/Davids pursuing $600 million earmark for highway expansion. Graves asking for $20 million for sidewalks/safe streets. Cleaver asking for funds for pedestrian improvements at 18th & Vine, Cliff Drive, and 7 new electric busses for KCATA.

Article mentions David’s doesn’t have to include the highway project but she comments in support of it. Assume that means she will try to include it along with the other expansion earmark funding announced earlier this week.

Senate and House backing earmarks at 1% of dictionary spending. $8 billion in total per year. Now is the time to act with Blunt (transit supporter) still in office.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Great to see Missouri will put a stop to the additional federal unemployment benefits in June!
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

DColeKC wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 2:36 pm Great to see Missouri will put a stop to the additional federal unemployment benefits in June!
There are varying opinions about whether or not the enhanced UI actually is having much of an impact on the workforce. I would say it may have an impact but a marginal one at best.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/10/is-a-30 ... nd-no.html

U.S. labor shortage? Unlikely. Here’s why
https://www.epi.org/blog/u-s-labor-shor ... heres-why/

Parson said he isn't even sure how many Missourians are collecting Federal unemployment. In addition, my understanding is you have to demonstrate that you are "actively looking" for work. Feel free to "dunk" on all those alleged 'freeloaders' collecting a whopping $620 a week at the maximum. Are there people out there doing that - evidence says, probably yet. However, it is likely those are just a small amount of people, and there are other factors at play that are causing a more material impact.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

alejandro46 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 4:53 pm
DColeKC wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 2:36 pm Great to see Missouri will put a stop to the additional federal unemployment benefits in June!
There are varying opinions about whether or not the enhanced UI actually is having much of an impact on the workforce. I would say it may have an impact but a marginal one at best.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/10/is-a-30 ... nd-no.html

U.S. labor shortage? Unlikely. Here’s why
https://www.epi.org/blog/u-s-labor-shor ... heres-why/

Parson said he isn't even sure how many Missourians are collecting Federal unemployment. In addition, my understanding is you have to demonstrate that you are "actively looking" for work. Feel free to "dunk" on all those alleged 'freeloaders' collecting a whopping $620 a week at the maximum. Are there people out there doing that - evidence says, probably yet. However, it is likely those are just a small amount of people, and there are other factors at play that are causing a more material impact.
I guess we will see how many more people in Missouri get back to work by July. I've read all the possible causes including lack of child care and possibly a fear of covid. I've talked to so many people, employers and small business owners who are having a hell of a time filling spots. Especially the service industry. That's just my experience but it seems consistent. I do feel like the biggest issue holding people back is the extra $300/weekly. Purely my own opinion.

Also, the process of saying you actively looked for a job is a joke! When I was young and making some money under the table by working, I was also collecting Unemployment from a job I was laid off from. I just applied for jobs I was terribly unqualified for and knew I'd never get a call back from. Stupid shit we do in our early 20's.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Janet Yellen is unimpressed with your anecdotes.

"For instance, she noted the bulk of job creation took place in the leisure and hospitality industry, which accounted for some 331,000 workers last month. But Yellen suggested that if sweetened jobless aid were to blame for the lack of job growth, the leisure and hospitality sector – where wages are typically low, and the relative financial benefit to collecting unemployment benefits high – would not have seen its payroll expand so vigorously."
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

If business owners can't find workers why don't they just buy the robots that they say are going to take those jobs if we raise the minimum wage?
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

grovester wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 6:55 pm Janet Yellen is unimpressed with your anecdotes.

"For instance, she noted the bulk of job creation took place in the leisure and hospitality industry, which accounted for some 331,000 workers last month. But Yellen suggested that if sweetened jobless aid were to blame for the lack of job growth, the leisure and hospitality sector – where wages are typically low, and the relative financial benefit to collecting unemployment benefits high – would not have seen its payroll expand so vigorously."
Simple explanation. While the numbers in the hospitality and leisure job category added the most types of jobs, Janet is obviously out of touch with that sector, or the real world.

She has no idea about the real wages considering how tips are handled.

I was waiting for someone to use the word “anecdotal”. Like someone sitting in DC. They never get down in the trenches somehow know everything.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

shinatoo wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 7:00 pm If business owners can't find workers why don't they just buy the robots that they say are going to take those jobs if we raise the minimum wage?
That’s just fast food.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

DColeKC wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:06 pm
grovester wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 6:55 pm Janet Yellen is unimpressed with your anecdotes.

Simple explanation. While the numbers in the hospitality and leisure job category added the most types of jobs, Janet is obviously out of touch with that sector, or the real world.

I was waiting for someone to use the word “anecdotal”. Like someone sitting in DC. They never get down in the trenches somehow know everything.
Ooh very simple indeed, your personal experiences are obviously more important. Where did you study economics again?
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Riverite wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:10 pm

Ooh very simple indeed, your personal experiences are obviously more important. Where did you study economics again?
He apparently has her ear, as they are on a first name basis.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

FUCK DATA, I NEED MEAT!
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

alejandro46 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 4:53 pm In addition, my understanding is you have to demonstrate that you are "actively looking" for work.
That is not true. Those rules have been suspended pretty much nationwide for the past year plus. You can simply file, collect, and enjoy. MANY people are doing just that.

alejandro46 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 4:53 pm ..all those alleged 'freeloaders' collecting a whopping $620 a week at the maximum. Are there people out there doing that - evidence says, probably yet. However, it is likely those are just a small amount of people...
You are as ignorant as a politician. $620 a week is GOOD money to many, many people. Did you not see how many went crazy over $600 stimulus checks?? There is no "Small" amount of people collecting max unemployment. Everyone throwing ridiculous amounts of money around right now is typically unemployed and throwing around their combined unemployment income. I can't even begin to tell you how many folks have tried to BUY HOUSES (AND ONES FAR BEYOND THEIR ABILITY TO PAY FOR) this past year with unemployment income as their sole source of income...
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

There's a reason why people are taking $620 a week over flipping burgers for $10/hr...
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

im2kull wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 10:07 pm I can't even begin to tell you how many folks have tried to BUY HOUSES (AND ONES FAR BEYOND THEIR ABILITY TO PAY FOR) this past year with unemployment income as their sole source of income...
Citation needed, troll. Go back to your mom's basement.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

im2kull wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 10:07 pm
alejandro46 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 4:53 pm In addition, my understanding is you have to demonstrate that you are "actively looking" for work.
That is not true. Those rules have been suspended pretty much nationwide for the past year plus. You can simply file, collect, and enjoy. MANY people are doing just that.

alejandro46 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 4:53 pm ..all those alleged 'freeloaders' collecting a whopping $620 a week at the maximum. Are there people out there doing that - evidence says, probably yet. However, it is likely those are just a small amount of people...
You are as ignorant as a politician. $620 a week is GOOD money to many, many people. Did you not see how many went crazy over $600 stimulus checks?? There is no "Small" amount of people collecting max unemployment. Everyone throwing ridiculous amounts of money around right now is typically unemployed and throwing around their combined unemployment income. I can't even begin to tell you how many folks have tried to BUY HOUSES (AND ONES FAR BEYOND THEIR ABILITY TO PAY FOR) this past year with unemployment income as their sole source of income...
I’m sure you’d be happy living off $620 a week. It you allegedly know these people claiming to buy a house with unemployment, you’d also be aware of the crazy housing market and the fact that it would be literally impossible to do this.

Also this is not accurate.

Work Search Activities Resume

Beginning with the week of July 5, 2020, individuals wishing to continue to receive unemployment benefits (including the $600 federal supplement available through July 25, 2020) will be required to perform work search activities that had been lifted for those that had filed a coronavirus-related unemployment claim.

https://labor.mo.gov/news/press-release ... nts-return

As I stated and backed up with actual studies and research, unemployment may be a factor but many respected economists agree that it is a marginal one at best.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

im2kull wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 10:07 pm You are as ignorant as a politician. $620 a week is GOOD money to many, many people. Did you not see how many went crazy over $600 stimulus checks?? There is no "Small" amount of people collecting max unemployment. Everyone throwing ridiculous amounts of money around right now is typically unemployed and throwing around their combined unemployment income. I can't even begin to tell you how many folks have tried to BUY HOUSES (AND ONES FAR BEYOND THEIR ABILITY TO PAY FOR) this past year with unemployment income as their sole source of income...
$620 per week net would be $15.50 per hour
https://www.bls.gov/regions/mountain-pl ... ascity.htm
That would put it at the top of the bottom 20% of wages for KC.
So it's not bad by any means but it's not good pay.

As to the home loan, ignoring the pay rate I can't picture a single bank that would accept unemployment to get a loan.

FHA is out for one
https://www.fha.com/fha_loan_requirements

A loan requiring PMI, I would not be surprised to learn that 100% of insurers require employment.