Politics

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: Politics

Post by NDTeve »

I'm a pub and Kander has my vote.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

State senator Jay Ashcroft will run for Sec of State as a Republican. You may remember his dad.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

KCMax wrote: You must also prove your citizenship, which is a huge pain in the ass. My wife has voted for years, but was asked to prove her citizenship before the last election. She was born abroad, so no birth certificate. Her passport was expired. Her naturalization papers were at her parents house. Drivers license and SS Card aren't acceptable.
Not that it's any of our business, but was your wife able to vote? I support Photo ID laws, but why wasn't the driver license enough? To me, that is an ID and has her photo and therefore should count as a "photo ID."
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

We had a hell of a time getting my grandmother's birth certificate and marriage license- and she lived in KCK most of her life. Their biggest hangup was proving that she'd changed her name when she married my grandfather. We spent HOURS on the phone with various recalcitrant Kansas state agencies. It wound up costing up upwards of $100, plus time wasted. Sorry, but this shit is not cheap and easy as the loons would have you believe. And all for a farcical, trumped-up crime.
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

chaglang wrote:We had a hell of a time getting my grandmother's birth certificate and marriage license- and she lived in KCK most of her life. Their biggest hangup was proving that she'd changed her name when she married my grandfather. We spent HOURS on the phone with various recalcitrant Kansas state agencies. It wound up costing up upwards of $100, plus time wasted. Sorry, but this shit is not cheap and easy as the loons would have you believe. And all for a farcical, trumped-up crime.to discourage certain demographics from voting.
FTFY
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

And all for a farcical, trumped-up crime.
So very true. They like to take, maybe somewhat true, of instances in the past of ballot stuffing in St. Louis, Chicago, and Texas. But these laws really do not address these instances.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

AllThingsKC wrote:
KCMax wrote: You must also prove your citizenship, which is a huge pain in the ass. My wife has voted for years, but was asked to prove her citizenship before the last election. She was born abroad, so no birth certificate. Her passport was expired. Her naturalization papers were at her parents house. Drivers license and SS Card aren't acceptable.
Not that it's any of our business, but was your wife able to vote? I support Photo ID laws, but why wasn't the driver license enough? To me, that is an ID and has her photo and therefore should count as a "photo ID."
She was taken off the voter rolls until she could prove her citizenship. I don't know why she was asked to do this and I wasn't.

I'm with you, I don't have a real big issue with photo ID, its the stupid citizenship part that ticked me off.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

When I was an election judge in KCMO I was a Republican judge. Wasn't asked party, the Board needed a "Republican" in the polling place. Moved to Cass County and now I am a Democratic judge, again without asking. The past Nov election brought in a new County Clerk and now have to declare a party in order to work.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

pash wrote:A photo ID is evidence that you are who you say you are, but it says nothing about your citizenship.
But when you get a state issued photo ID (at least in Missouri and Kansas), you are required to show proof of name, date of birth and place of birth, proof of social security number, and proof of state residential address.

I am very discouraged by the story of Max's wife, where I feel a drivers license should have been sufficient. I don't understand why it wasn't. It seems in her case, she had to provide more than a photo ID.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

But when you get a state issued photo ID (at least in Missouri and Kansas), you are required to show proof of name, date of birth and place of birth, proof of social security number, and proof of state residential address.
That is only for license renewals. Older licenses that haven't expired may still be out there.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:
That is only for license renewals. Older licenses that haven't expired may still be out there.
And therein you have the great threat to America?
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

AllThingsKC wrote:
pash wrote:A photo ID is evidence that you are who you say you are, but it says nothing about your citizenship.

I am very discouraged by the story of Max's wife, where I feel a drivers license should have been sufficient. I don't understand why it wasn't. It seems in her case, she had to provide more than a photo ID.
Because illegal immigrants can obtain driver's licenses. That is the rationale behind the measure.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

1. How many illegals have a driver's license?
2. How many illegals have registered to vote?
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

FWIW, a court did overturn Kansas' proof of citizenship requirement. For now. The ruling came conveniently after the last election.

http://www.kansas.com/news/politics-gov ... 48946.html
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

KCMax wrote: Because illegal immigrants can obtain driver's licenses.
Even in Kansas?
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Now that the Dems are a minority party in the Senate are they going to filibuster like the GOP? And for those who complained about the GOP and the use of the filibuster, will they complain when the Dems use it?
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

AllThingsKC wrote:
KCMax wrote: Because illegal immigrants can obtain driver's licenses.
Even in Kansas?
If they can procure a fake SSN, sure, I guess. I question how often that happens though. But its Kris Kobach's pet project.
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:Now that the Dems are a minority party in the Senate are they going to filibuster like the GOP? And for those who complained about the GOP and the use of the filibuster, will they complain when the Dems use it?
Why bother, when there's a Dem in the White House wielding veto power? The filibuster has been around forever, so I suspect they'll still use it from time to time the way they always have, but even if they had the impulse to use it the way the GOP has over the last six years, requiring 60 votes on virtually any legislation almost as a matter of course, there's no real reason to do that anyway. If the GOP keeps the Senate in 2016 and a Republican takes the White House, we'll see.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

But you need more than a fake SSN to get a drivers license in Kansas, according to the KDOR website.

http://www.ksrevenue.org/dmvproof.html