Politics

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
Brodees
Ambassador

Re: Politics

Post by Brodees »

DColeKC wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:17 pm
I'm still not 100% it's a win for Biden. More like 98% sure. After these last 4 years, nothing would surprise me.
98%? C'mon, man. I know it's 2020 and all, but did you catch Giuliani's hearsay harangue at the "Four Seasons"?

"Folks, the Not-So-Fresh King of Liberty-Bel-Air voted twice from the grave. And here's Yenta Yolanda to prove it based on a Post-it note espied by her husband, Gary Gossip, Jr."

"America's Mayor's" lights may be on, but Kevin McCallister appears to be the only one home.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Explainer: Citizen Trump will face legal woes
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... SKBN27N0SS
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

earthling wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:05 pm Explainer: Citizen Trump will face legal woes
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... SKBN27N0SS
I don't think citizen Trump has much to worry about either. If they had the dirt on him, regardless of his political protections, it would be out there.

Not to mention, I've already heard some on the right talking about how if Trump wanted to, he could just campaign for 4 years straight and likely still be the dominate force in the republican presidential run. I pray he doesn't do this.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

DColeKC wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:21 pm
I don't think citizen Trump has much to worry about either. If they had the dirt on him, regardless of his political protections, it would be out there.
This doesn't have any basis in reality. Upper level law enforcement is very good at not leaking. When people know they're doing something bad the general goal is to enter unannounced with the warrant because it's about gathering information too, not just an arrest
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

flyingember wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:12 pm
This doesn't have any basis in reality. Upper level law enforcement is very good at not leaking. When people know they're doing something bad the general goal is to enter unannounced with the warrant because it's about gathering information too, not just an arrest
Nothing that's happened since Trump decided to run for office is normal nor has any basis in reality. The white house and government used to be decent at not leaking too, but there's been more "leaks" in the last 4 years than ever before.

It's not like them leaking the info would suddenly make Trump stop doing something. If they had anything on him, it would have been from his past dealings, not while he was in office. There's no way the democrats wouldn't have leaked this info and they would have very likely had access to it.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

DColeKC wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:39 pm
Nothing that's happened since Trump decided to run for office is normal nor has any basis in reality. The white house and government used to be decent at not leaking too, but there's been more "leaks" in the last 4 years than ever before.

It's not like them leaking the info would suddenly make Trump stop doing something. If they had anything on him, it would have been from his past dealings, not while he was in office. There's no way the democrats wouldn't have leaked this info and they would have very likely had access to it.
Trump is currently protected from prosecution for anything, regardless of when it happened.

As soon as he is an ex-president, he is no longer protected.

Trust me, there are authorities waiting patiently.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

grovester wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:55 pm

Trump is currently protected from prosecution for anything, regardless of when it happened.

I understand he’s currently protected, I’m just saying I doubt he gets in any real trouble. The fact some on the right think he’s going to run for the 2024 vote makes me think he’s not worried either. And like I say, I’m praying he doesn’t run and sails off into the sunset or back to TV. Anything besides running again.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

If Trump is the Republican party now, they deserve to never win anything again. The Republican party should be over. It probably won't be, but only because being right isn't as valuable in politics as being persuasive to people who are psychologically defective enough to be susceptible to cult leaders and con men.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

mean wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:13 pm If Trump is the Republican party now, they deserve to never win anything again. The Republican party should be over. It probably won't be, but only because being right isn't as valuable in politics as being persuasive to people who are psychologically defective enough to be susceptible to cult leaders and con men.
Being susceptible to con men or cult leaders isn’t a partisan problem. Or a matter of intelligence for that matter. According to your assessment, 70 million people are psychologically defective?

I don’t want Trump around any longer because I do think he’s bad long term for the party. I think the Republican Party has an opportunity to become a more moderate party that appeals to the average person. With Trump, that won’t happen.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Trump was a symptom, not a cause.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

What the GOP should take away from this election: “Maybe...a multi-decade effort to pander the base into Crazytown wasn’t the brightest idea.”

What the GOP will almost certainly take away from this election: “We were so close, so clearly all we need is another ‘populist’ who appeals to the base like Trump, but isn’t an incompetent grifter.”
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

I do worry that Trump has laid the roadmap for someone smarter but no less autocratic.

Thank god Greitens self-destructed.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

DColeKC wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:31 pm

I understand he’s currently protected, I’m just saying I doubt he gets in any real trouble. The fact some on the right think he’s going to run for the 2024 vote makes me think he’s not worried either. And like I say, I’m praying he doesn’t run and sails off into the sunset or back to TV. Anything besides running again.
I also doubt he will go to prison, bad look for the country and all.

Better his children take his punishment and fine Trump Inc out the wazoo.

Financial crimes tend to get financial penalties.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

grovester wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:24 pm

And we know that any kind of financial punishments won't scuff his following. Even if they prove he vastly overstated his wealth, his hardcore base will still be there, sadly.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

DColeKC wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:20 pm
grovester wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:24 pm

And we know that any kind of financial punishments won't scuff his following. Even if they prove he vastly overstated his wealth, his hardcore base will still be there, sadly.
His hard core base becomes irrelevant when he leaves office - even if he takes up as some kind of media mogul. This is the best thing that can happen to the republican party. The hard line right wingers are never ever going to vote for a democrat, the republicans do not need to cowtow to them. If they do, and bring candidates to the table like Trump, they will become increasingly nationally irrelevant. We almost saw Texas flip this year with a weak democrat candidate - that's the damage Trump has done to the party. Trump may run in 2024 but I suspect his behavior and the chaos he causes his last two months in office will make that prospect too distasteful to all but the most ardent members of his cult. Plus he will be 78.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

^ I hope that's the case but there's already talk of him continuing these rallies and charging admission as a way to raise campaign money. It's insane. He may have almost lost Texas, but he flipped some counties that are 95% hispanic in Texas to red. That's a good sign that some demographics are starting to ignore the pandering. Trump picked up 9 million more votes this round than last time, making him the candidate with the 2nd most votes ever. As for his age, he would be going up against an 81 year old Biden.

I hope he goes back to focusing on making money and let's the Republican party get on with it.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I don't see Biden running in 2024 regardless. Surely an 81 year old has better things to do, like play cards and hang out with grandkids.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

mean wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:33 am I don't see Biden running in 2024 regardless. Surely an 81 year old has better things to do, like play cards and hang out with grandkids.
You think they’ll run Kamala? Read some polls recently that show more than half of America is still hesitant about a female president, and much of those people were women. Granted, how reliable are polls anymore.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

DColeKC wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:27 am
mean wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:33 am I don't see Biden running in 2024 regardless. Surely an 81 year old has better things to do, like play cards and hang out with grandkids.
You think they’ll run Kamala? Read some polls recently that show more than half of America is still hesitant about a female president, and much of those people were women. Granted, how reliable are polls anymore.
I think they'll use the next three years to try and prove it or the party will move on to someone else.

The President in 2021 will be dealing with Coronavirus, it should take up a huge amount of time in the first year. The VP role could be all but a second president where items that have to be secondary for the president can gain traction.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Assuming Biden doesn't run (which I'm obviously not sure of, just guessing) who does run will be highly dependent upon how things go between 2021 and 2024. If things go well, life is able to return more or less to at least something resembling what we've come to know as pre-corona "normal", the chaos and insanity of the Trump era is largely forgotten, and Kamala can somehow make herself even a fraction as widely beloved as someone like Michelle Obama? Yeah, she might run. If, on the other hand, the virus lingers too long, vaccines have logistical issues getting distributed or are ineffective or dangerous, and we are subject to ongoing intermittent lockdowns and economic collapse... well, I wouldn't run if I were her in that case, and I wouldn't run if I was Trump, either. Although since he's Trump, I think we can all agree that he would run anyway, claim to be the only one who can fix everything, and then after winning proceed to mostly make everything worse while pretending he fixed it and whining about how nobody gives him the credit he deserves.