Politics

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Politics

Post by FangKC »

DColeKC wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:56 pm
FangKC wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:53 pm Inciting a riot at the Capitol while Congress was in session certifying an election. Advocating and attempting to overturn an election by force.
Seems that would be a stretch based off of his speech today where he basically said stay strong and remain peaceful. Not to mention, wouldn't that just further infuriate these idiots at the capital?
There are many prosecutors who could probably make the case that Trump incited this riot by his behavior and words in the past few days.

But you don't need prosecutors. Congress can impeach and remove a president for any reason if it chooses.
KCKev
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCKev »

First time for masks to be worn at a Trump rally. Basically confirms A Treasonous Presidency.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

DColeKC wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:51 pm
FangKC wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:49 pm Steve Schmidt is calling for the 25th Amendment to be invoked. George Conway is calling for immediate impeachment and removal of Trump.

https://twitter.com/SteveSchmidtSES/sta ... 84704?s=20

https://twitter.com/gtconway3d/status/1 ... 09089?s=20
Not a legal expert, but how would they go about this? What would be the reasoning?
The 25th Amendment requires a majority of cabinet officials to declare to President of Senate and Speaker of House that president isn't able to perform their duties.

That's not going to happen. Another impeachment would be nice, but probably fail. He has 2 weeks left and the GOP has already lost.

I would love to see Trump get banned from Twitter for inciting violence.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

All they need is for 20 Republican senators to decide they are feed up with this nonsense and vote with the Democrats to remove him from office, then let Pence serve out the remaining days.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

FangKC wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:06 pm All they need is for 20 Republican senators to decide they are feed up with this nonsense and vote with the Democrats to remove him from office, then let Pence serve out the remaining days.
Not impossible, but I think that would poor gasoline on the fire at this point.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

U think we will see mass protests on plaza or at city hall today?
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

FangKC wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:57 pm
DColeKC wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:56 pm
FangKC wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:53 pm Inciting a riot at the Capitol while Congress was in session certifying an election. Advocating and attempting to overturn an election by force.
Seems that would be a stretch based off of his speech today where he basically said stay strong and remain peaceful. Not to mention, wouldn't that just further infuriate these idiots at the capital?
There are many prosecutors who could probably make the case that Trump incited this riot by his behavior and words in the past few days.

But you don't need prosecutors. Congress can impeach and remove a president for any reason if it chooses.
There are two possible outcomes from impeachment. Removal from office, and a ban from serving in any public office. Obviously you cannot remove someone from office after they are out, but you can impeach and ban after they have left office.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The Kansas City Star is reporting that Senator Hawley sent out a fundraising appeal as Capitol descended into chaos.

https://twitter.com/KCStar/status/13469 ... 31840?s=20

https://twitter.com/ssnich/status/13469 ... 73/photo/1
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

FangKC wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:14 pm The Kansas City Star is reporting that Senator Hawley sent out a fundraising appeal as Capitol descended into chaos.

The Star sure hates Hawley and well... anyone with (R) behind their name.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

alejandro46 wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:04 pm
FangKC wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:49 pm Steve Schmidt is calling for the 25th Amendment to be invoked. George Conway is calling for immediate impeachment and removal of Trump.

https://twitter.com/SteveSchmidtSES/sta ... 84704?s=20

https://twitter.com/gtconway3d/status/1 ... 09089?s=20
Not a legal expert, but how would they go about this? What would be the reasoning?
The 25th Amendment requires a majority of cabinet officials to declare to President of Senate and Speaker of House that president isn't able to perform their duties.

That's not going to happen. Another impeachment would be nice, but probably fail. He has 2 weeks left and the GOP has already lost.

You are probably right but the myth that republicans cannot get elected without Trump support has been put to rest (Trump's appearance most likely hurt the republican effort in Georgia) leaving a lot of republicans unafraid of him and others like Cruz and Hawley a little exposed for supporting him.
Last edited by Highlander on Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

DColeKC wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:28 pm
FangKC wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:14 pm The Kansas City Star is reporting that Senator Hawley sent out a fundraising appeal as Capitol descended into chaos.

The Star sure hates Hawley and well... anyone with (R) behind their name.
Their job and obligation in this instance is to report the news.

It's not a good look for a senator to be sending out a solicitation for donations during an insurrection at the Capitol.
Major KC Fan
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Major KC Fan »

Today’s events have depleted my emotions like few others I have witnessed over my lifetime. Our American democracy was literally under attack by a group of pathetic seditious “deplorables” that don’t deserve the title of Americans. They have every right to demonstrate with their street and boat parades, etc. but to attack our government while our duly elected Congress is conducting the people’s business, as ordained by the Constitution, is beyond the pale.
The role of the Chief Instigator, King Orange, and his supplicants (Hawley, Marshall-are you listening?), in fueling this travesty strips them of any claim of being “patriots”.
The Republican Party, once a standard of freedom and democracy in this country, seems irreparably ruined. I am totally saddened by this event and fear for the next few weeks that we have to endure before we can move forward.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Highlander wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:50 pm

You are probably right but the myth that republicans cannot get elected without Trump support has been put to rest (Trump's appearance most likely hurt the republican effort in Georgia) leaving a lot of republicans unafraid of him and others like Cruz and Hawley a little exposed for supporting him.
Remains to be seen whether the GOP can win without Trump at the top of the ticket.

2018 was the first result, Georgia was the second.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Major KC Fan wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:20 pm Today’s events have depleted my emotions like few others I have witnessed over my lifetime. Our American democracy was literally under attack by a group of pathetic seditious “deplorables” that don’t deserve the title of Americans. They have every right to demonstrate with their street and boat parades, etc. but to attack our government while our duly elected Congress is conducting the people’s business, as ordained by the Constitution, is beyond the pale.
The role of the Chief Instigator, King Orange, and his supplicants (Hawley, Marshall-are you listening?), in fueling this travesty strips them of any claim of being “patriots”.
The Republican Party, once a standard of freedom and democracy in this country, seems irreparably ruined. I am totally saddened by this event and fear for the next few weeks that we have to endure before we can move forward.
Years of the language you just used absolutely helped fuel today’s events. Calling his supporters (even the law abiding ones) deplorable and the duly elected POTUS names like King Orange for 4 years was one of many ingredients that lead to today’s explosive situation.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

grovester wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:46 pm
Highlander wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:50 pm

Remains to be seen whether the GOP can win without Trump at the top of the ticket.

2018 was the first result, Georgia was the second.
If they modernize and learn from the dems, they could do very well. I hope today was the nail in the coffin for Trumps 2024 run.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

So what are we all thinking? Term limits for congressional members yet or what?
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:53 am So what are we all thinking? Term limits for congressional members yet or what?
Right! One of many changes needed.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

DColeKC wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:29 pm
Major KC Fan wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:20 pm Today’s events have depleted my emotions like few others I have witnessed over my lifetime. Our American democracy was literally under attack by a group of pathetic seditious “deplorables” that don’t deserve the title of Americans. They have every right to demonstrate with their street and boat parades, etc. but to attack our government while our duly elected Congress is conducting the people’s business, as ordained by the Constitution, is beyond the pale.
Years of the language you just used absolutely helped fuel today’s events. Calling his supporters (even the law abiding ones) deplorable and the duly elected POTUS names like King Orange for 4 years was one of many ingredients that lead to today’s explosive situation.
Trump owns this, he has stoked the flames. Conservatives straight up made stuff up about Obama and people didn’t do this. These sort of people who believe conspiracy theories and are drawn to violent insurrection are dangerous and you do not mess with them if you don’t want to get bit. They do not care about democracy, I don’t know what you want us to call them but they certainly aren’t good people.
mykn

Post by mykn »

DColeKC wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:29 pm
"You made me do it"
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:53 am So what are we all thinking? Term limits for congressional members yet or what?
What part of what happened yesterday made you ask this question?