Yes, the party of corruption and sedition is definitely going to gain more seats. I don't think Georgia will go well for Dems, but long term, the GOP is fracturing and tearing itself apart between the Sedition wing and the mainstream Mitt Romney/Susan Collins etc. who won't go along with it. I used to be a Republican (and worked for Republican candidate before even) but no more. They're dead to me.
From Steve Schmidt (Edited for clarity and formatting purposes):
Trumpism is an American autocratic movement with Fascistic markers. There are seven specific parts that comprise its core:
1. THE LEADER. Donald Trump is the unquestioned leader of this movement. It is a cult of personality and there are no serious challengers against his leadership.
2 THUGS. The Proud Boys are but one example in a toxic stew of heavily armed Militias, White Nationalists and other right-wing extremists. As is always the case, their ranks are filled with people on the fringes of society; the lonely, dispossessed, aggrieved and resentful. Not so long ago, there would have been a near societal consensus around describing these people as losers. These people bring the menace of violence to politics and are kin to the same thuggish rabble that were wearing brown and black shirts 100 years ago.
3. ELITES. All Autocratic movements fuse an unholy alliance between society’s elites and losers. It is a coalition of convenience between two groups who despise each other yet need each other. The boundless cynicism of the elites and the endless grievances of the losers become an unbreakable cement. Sen. Josh Hawley and Sen. Ted Cruz are perfect examples. Hawley graduated from Stanford and Yale Law School. He taught at Oxford and clerked for the Chief Justice of the United States. Cruz graduated from Princeton and Harvard Law School. They have become completely faithless to their oaths and American democracy in the name of their ambition. They have no convictions, only self-interest.
4. PROPAGANDISTS. Autocratic movements are built on and sustained by lies. Political lying and conspiracy theories have become billion-dollar businesses. Fox News, Newsmax, OANN, Social Media, Talk Radio dividers, Infowars etc. have poisoned the American polity and created the conditions for Trump to create an alternate reality that is now a lethal threat to American liberty.
5. FINANCIERS. This autocratic movement is financed by donations from some of America’s largest and best-known companies and brands in the form of millions of dollars of donations to the entities that fund the political careers of the men and women who will soon be rising on the floor of the United States Congress to betray American democracy. AT&T and Charles Schwab are two such companies. The list includes some of America’s wealthiest and most powerful individuals. Mostly they are disconnected from any interest or idea of the public good other than the selfishness of self-interest.
6. RELIGIOUS EXTREMISTS. Trump has surrounded himself with a group of loony, corrupt, hateful, sacrilegious charlatans that make a mockery of decency and goodness with every public utterance.
7. SHEEP. None of what is happening could happen without the silent complicity of a legion of men and women who lack the conviction, guts and integrity to stand up against Trump’s mean tweets and thousands of indecent, corrupt, cruel and incompetent acts. These men and women are no different than all of their predecessors who found collaboration with what they knew to be immoral or evil as more convenient than resisting it. They are the weaklings and appeasers. They are the fools and the naive. They are the blind for whom what is obvious and true is far less preferable to delusion and pretend.
In order to win the fight, we must understand 1) Why are we fighting, and 2) Who are we fighting? We must be clear eyed about this. The stakes are too high.
THE FUTURE OF THE REPUBLICAN PARTY
The die is cast for the Republican Party. It will be destroyed on January 6th in much the same way the Whig party was destroyed by the passage of the Kansas-Nebraska Act in 1854. The act unraveled the Missouri compromise and allowed for the westward expansion of slavery. The party could not survive its factionalism. There could be no more accommodation, compromise and partnership between pro-slavery and anti-slavery Whigs. A new political party was born, the Republican Party.
That party will divide into irreconcilable factions on January 6th. The 6th will commence a political civil war inside the GOP. The autocratic side will roll over the pro-democracy remnant of the GOP like the Wehrmacht did the Belgian Army in 1940. The ‘22 GOP primary season will be a bloodletting.
The 6th will be a loyalty test. The purge will follow. Does anybody doubt the outcome of the Ivanka Trump vs Marco Rubio primary in Florida? Anyone willing to make a bet on Rob Portman?
It turns out JFK was right. The problem of trying to ride the tiger is the likelihood of winding up inside the tiger.
The poisonous fruit from four years of collaboration and complicity with Trump’s insanity, illiberalism and incompetence are ready for harvest. It will kill the GOP because it’s Pro-Democracy faction and Autocratic factions can no more exist together then could the Whig Party hold together the abolitionist with the slave master.
It won’t happen overnight, but the destination is clear. The Conservative party in America is dead. It may continue to bear the name “Republican” but it will be no such thing. Fascism has indeed come to America and as was once predicted, it is wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.
This movement must be defeated. It cannot be appeased, accommodated, or negotiated with. It must be recognized for what it is, and we must all recognize the new age of American politics it has wrought. It has reset the debate entirely. There are only two sides in American politics now. There is the American side and the Autocratic side. May God help us all if we falter, flag, or fail in defense of American democracy.
WHAT TO EXPECT THIS WEEK
2021 will be a hard year in the life of the American nation. There is a great struggle that lies before us and our disbelief at its arrival must not blind us to the lethal danger it poses to the American experiment.
The poisonous bounty of Trump’s catastrophic Presidency is ready for harvest and the whole world will get to watch his seditious antics play out during a joint session of Congress on January 6th. It will play out as a farce and it will fail. Nearly 100 years on, America will have its version of the Beer Hall Putsch.
The danger lies in the act, not the outcome. We are in a dangerous moment and I’d like to try my best to explain how I see it.
Before I start, there is an important matter of fact which unfortunately needs restating: Joe Biden won the Presidential election decisively.
The election was free, fair and legitimate. There is no evidence of any widespread fraud. Allegations of fraud are premeditated lies being made by a rancid assortment of Trump’s stooges and propagandists.
With the exception of a few of the more addled House GOP members like Louis Gohmert, every single House Member and every US Senator that participates in denying this reality and thus the legitimacy of our election does so as a cynical act which they know for certain has no legitimate basis.
Such actions are a grievous sin against American democracy and a brutal betrayal of their oaths of office and duty. They will be desecrating the blood sacrifices of 13 generations of American Patriots of all creeds and origins who died so that our children could be free. They are fighting to maintain the power of a defeated President against the sovereign will of the American people as lawfully exercised under the Constitution of the United States. They are fighting to establish a tyranny. They are deliberately poisoning faith and belief in American democracy.
Democratic Republic’s cannot survive such a collapse. The system is rooted in the willingness of one side to cede power to another at the will of the people. There are no other systems of government except for this type that are free. The legitimacy of that system is being strangled by Trump’s lies and the lies of his movement. That movement is an autocratic one with fascistic markers. It is hostile to the American Constitution, the rule of law and the highest ideas and ideals of American liberty.
January 6 will be a historic day in America. The battle lines will be drawn. The Autocrats will step forward into the light. They will include a majority of the House GOP Conference.
After the 6th Rep. Kevin McCarthy will be the leader of House Autocrats and Rep. Liz Cheney will be the leader of House Conservatives. The Autocrats will include a substantial number of GOP Senators and almost all of the known GOP Presidential aspirants.
The Rubicon will be crossed on the 6th. The ruthless and amoral cynicism of Sens. Ted Cruz, Marco Rubio, James Lankford, and Josh Hawley will be on appalling display. It must be opposed fiercely. It must be recognized for what it is.
Another storm is gathering in the constant struggle between liberty and her enemies. Trump has unleashed the furies and has found his following. It will be a long fight. At the hour of his defeat and defenestration, Trump has done his greatest damage.
This is a movement that is fueled by lies, conspiracies, corruption, greed, extremism, racism, grievance, resentment, cynicism and a profound absence of love for America. It is right to feel anger and contempt towards its leaders and enablers. There is only one proposition that America’s pro-democracy coalition can offer to these people. “We win- you lose.” It’s that simple.
Sedition is the precise word and the right word to describe what we have been witnessing. Never before have so many American leaders betrayed their country. We will watch their eternal disgrace on live TV. The evidence of their ignominy will exist forever as will the memory of their monumental betrayal.
Shame on them all.