Politics

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Re: Politics

Post by DColeKC »

Highlander wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:52 pm
DColeKC wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:55 pm Well that debate was a complete shit show.
Indeed it was. I would hesitate to even call it a debate. There was no "winner" (well Biden won by default because Trump would not follow the rules) and I learned nothing about either candidate I did not already know. I see absolutely no reason to hold the other two debates. They would be pointless.
I selfishly would like the other two to happen purely for my own entertainment. However last night just made me even more disappointed that this is what we’ve got to work with. We are one of the best and most diverse countries in the world and we come up with two old white dudes who act like high schoolers up there.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

DColeKC wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:09 am
Highlander wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:52 pm
DColeKC wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:55 pm Well that debate was a complete shit show.
Indeed it was. I would hesitate to even call it a debate. There was no "winner" (well Biden won by default because Trump would not follow the rules) and I learned nothing about either candidate I did not already know. I see absolutely no reason to hold the other two debates. They would be pointless.
I selfishly would like the other two to happen purely for my own entertainment. However last night just made me even more disappointed that this is what we’ve got to work with. We are one of the best and most diverse countries in the world and we come up with two old white dudes who act like high schoolers up there.
Watching that made me cringe. I do not want to see a repeat.
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

They should just cut the mic if someone doesn’t have the floor at the time, but that would take all the controversy out of the room.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

longviewmo wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:33 pm They should just cut the mic if someone doesn’t have the floor at the time, but that would take all the controversy out of the room.
That and they wouldn't have a way to know their mic had been muted, so they'd just keep talking anyway.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

On a side note, wife and had a fine experience absentee voting in Clay county. Had always voted in person when I lived in Jackson, so nothing to compare to. We went an dropped off our ballots in person at Election commission, and plenty of people already there doing in person early voting. Was nice to not have to notarize due to COVID at-risk exemption.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

DColeKC wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:32 pm
longviewmo wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:33 pm They should just cut the mic if someone doesn’t have the floor at the time, but that would take all the controversy out of the room.
That and they wouldn't have a way to know their mic had been muted, so they'd just keep talking anyway.
Very simple to add a mute light on their podium. I would be suprised if it wasn't there already. Probably have a mute switch so they can mute themselves.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

shinatoo wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:37 pm
Very simple to add a mute light on their podium. I would be suprised if it wasn't there already. Probably have a mute switch so they can mute themselves.
Yes, but you think Trumps going to stop talking over Biden because of a light?! It may improve the viewer experience, but will still be a distraction to each other in person.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

DColeKC wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:33 pm

Yes, but you think Trumps going to stop talking over Biden because of a light?! It may improve the viewer experience, but will still be a distraction to each other in person.
No but he can be muted by the moderator when talking out of turn. He'd probably just raise his voice and cause a disruption. I don't think Americans need to see another debate. There is little promise that anything useful would come out of it.

Given that there is at lease a modest chance statistically that neither of these men would live to see the end of their term, I'd be more interested in seeing a VP debate.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Yeah, given that Trump done got himself COVID (as I predicted, just surprised it took this long) and is in a fairly high-risk category based on being an old fatass who snarfs more McDonald's cheeseburgers than a millennial posts pictures of avocado toast on instagram, and Biden is just Biden time until the inevitable end, I agree. Give us Pence v Harris.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

DColeKC wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:33 pm

You said they wouldn't have a way to know their mic was muted. I said they could add a light to idicate that. Commentary on Trump's behavior is all your's.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

mean wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:34 am Yeah, given that Trump done got himself COVID (as I predicted, just surprised it took this long) and is in a fairly high-risk category based on being an old fatass who snarfs more McDonald's cheeseburgers than a millennial posts pictures of avocado toast on instagram, and Biden is just Biden time until the inevitable end, I agree. Give us Pence v Harris.
Lol. Trump is definitely not healthy so will be an anxious few days here.

If he makes it, I think he will be one of those guys who lives into their 90’s. Think his dad died at 93?
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

And the conspiracy theories are going strong! Some people think he’s “faking” this for sympathy votes. Lmao
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

...and some people are saying that covid is a thing democrats give republicans when they aren't busy raping children in the basements of pizza parlors without basements. We have reached peak idiocy. Just end it. We lost. Democracy can't be a thing. All hail our Russian overlords.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

mean wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:20 pm ...and some people are saying that covid is a thing democrats give republicans when they aren't busy raping children in the basements of pizza parlors without basements. We have reached peak idiocy. Just end it. We lost. Democracy can't be a thing. All hail our Russian overlords.
I mean, from what I’ve heard the vodka is pretty alright.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

DColeKC wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:38 am
mean wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:34 am Yeah, given that Trump done got himself COVID (as I predicted, just surprised it took this long) and is in a fairly high-risk category based on being an old fatass who snarfs more McDonald's cheeseburgers than a millennial posts pictures of avocado toast on instagram, and Biden is just Biden time until the inevitable end, I agree. Give us Pence v Harris.
Lol. Trump is definitely not healthy so will be an anxious few days here.

If he makes it, I think he will be one of those guys who lives into their 90’s. Think his dad died at 93?
You guys act as if this virus kills everything it touches.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

No, I'm acting like someone who has just tested positive for and been hospitalized with COVID shouldn't be doing any debates in two weeks. And to be fair, if you're going to get COVID and not die, Trump is in a lot of unfortunate demographic brackets putting him at significantly higher risk.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

mean wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:33 pm No, I'm acting like someone who has just tested positive for and been hospitalized with COVID shouldn't be doing any debates in two weeks. And to be fair, if you're going to get COVID and not die, Trump is in a lot of unfortunate demographic brackets putting him at significantly higher risk.
Even if he has three negative tests before the next debate? I’m thinking it’s not going to be good over the next few days and I also think this maybe the nail in the coffin for his chances of a second term. I would not he shocked at all of he gets very sick.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

DColeKC wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:33 pm
mean wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:33 pm No, I'm acting like someone who has just tested positive for and been hospitalized with COVID shouldn't be doing any debates in two weeks. And to be fair, if you're going to get COVID and not die, Trump is in a lot of unfortunate demographic brackets putting him at significantly higher risk.
Even if he has three negative tests before the next debate? I’m thinking it’s not going to be good over the next few days and I also think this maybe the nail in the coffin for his chances of a second term. I would not he shocked at all of he gets very sick.
We will see. Trump's biggest enemy in his fight against CV19 will be Trump himself. He's so adverse to be seen as weak or ill that he could still compromise his chances for recovery and have a relapse if he ignores medical advice. Trump's base will be forever true; if he seems to have kicked CV19 they will be energized as ever with the belief that a providential message has been sent by God. But I doubt if many others will be convinced and most will likely see his predicament a product of his own making and foolish behavior. I doubt if this is the nail in the coffin but he's not going to get many people switching their vote on the basis of sympathy or some kind of belief that he is indestructible.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

The fact that there's still people out there who believe that we can "stop" the spread of COVID and make it basically disappear is mind blowing.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

im2kull wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:39 pm The fact that there's still people out there who believe that we can "stop" the spread of COVID and make it basically disappear is mind blowing.
Controlling and tracing outbreaks is key rn, but I very much agree. Once it’s global it obviously can’t be contained.