2012 Election

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

2012 Election

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Now that Obama is the very first to announce that he, or she, is running for President in 2012 maybe we should let the games begin.

Of course it depends on the GOP choice but i may be one person who didn't vote for the Big O in 2008 and votes for him in 2012.  Just can't see me voting for many of the possible GOP candidates, even Romney.  I would prefer one of the current GOP governors unless there is a dark horse in Congress now that is flying way below the radar.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: 2012 Election

Post by KCMax »

Fred Karger and Buddy Roemer are both declared candidates as well. That's right, THE Fred Karger.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

Pawlenty, Romney, Huckabee, Paul, etc.

Not a real exciting field at this point. Pawlenty would seem to be the lesser of many evils.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

I'd vote for Michelle Bachmann just to see the chaos that ensues.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Donald "Hair" Trump is running second in the GOP, for now, on the 2012 presidential popularity list.  Seems to be a Tea Party type and a birther. 
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Donald "Hair" Trump is running second in the GOP, for now, on the 2012 presidential popularity list.  Seems to be a Tea Party type and a birther.  joke.

ContainsHotLiquid
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by ContainsHotLiquid »

Gail Collins' response to Trump on Friday is amusing in just about every way.

Although Trump and I have had our differences in the past, I never felt it was personal. In fact, until now, I have refrained from noting that I once got an aggrieved message from him in which he misspelled the word “too.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/09/opini ... yt&emc=rss
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Mittens Romney has officially formed an exploratory committee, a pre-requisite for a formal announcement to run.

aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

I would say any candidate who runs and says, or implys, that the Big O was not born in the states or is a Muslim is a "joke".
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:I would say any candidate who runs and says, or implys, that the Big O was not born in the states or is a Muslim is a "joke".
I tend to agree, but that kind of stuff seems to be drifting dangerously close to mainstream.

Or I listen to too many crazy right-wing radio shows.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

i cant remember the exact number, but something like 25-30% of conservatives polled believe Obama is not a US citizen.  that is insane!  it may have even been higher than that.  i also recall seeing a poll of Texans where like 40% of Texans polled thought Obama is a Muslim.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

At what point do we split into two different countries? The sane and the nuts... of course, the nuts would just nuke the sane people.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

mean wrote: At what point do we split into two different countries? The sane and the nuts... of course, the nuts would just nuke the sane people.
Which side is sane and which side is nuts?
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Which side is sane and which side is nuts?
i'm going to go ahead and slot the birthers and "obama is a goddam MUSLIM" folks in the nut category. 
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:Which side is sane and which side is nuts?
The side that is nuts is the side that is nuts.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

chrizow wrote: i'm going to go ahead and slot the birthers and "obama is a goddam MUSLIM" folks in the nut category. 
I would agree.  But there are a few nuts and insane people on the left.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: I would agree.  But there are a few nuts and insane people on the left.
sure, but the crazy right-wingers are much closer to (relatively) mainstream american culture and politics than your 9/11-conspiracy theorists and ultra radical anarchists.  indeed, there are politicians in washington that are in this category, or close to it - while you'd be hard pressed to come up with any true lefties in national politics.  kucinich comes to mind.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

NDTeve wrote: Pawlenty, Romney, Huckabee, Paul, etc.

Not a real exciting field at this point. Pawlenty would seem to be the lesser of many evils.
Pawlenty loses my vote because he is an evangelical. I just can't handle fundamentalism in any form. Not that I am particularly likely to vote Republican regardless.
"It's only when you leave Kansas City do you realize truly how great a city it is. ... If you have to go away, go away for a while. You'll be back. And when you come back, bring your ideas and willingness to make Kansas City the best."- Sly James
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

From Time:
But despite the Republicans' troubles, Obama remains vulnerable. A recent Gallup poll shows the percentage of people who see the President as a "strong leader" has dropped from 73% to 52%. While Obama's admirers may look at his cool and cerebral style and see a strong and decisive leader who understands the complex nuances of public policy, far too many voters see only mush. The first law of politics is that what matters is not what is actually true but rather what voters perceive to be true. This President is increasingly perceived as passive and equivocal. His detached style, his affection for nuance and his resistance to getting directly involved in the messy meat chopping of congressional budget writing has created a public persona that is more Adlai Stevenson than Harry Truman, more likely to give 'em footnotes than hell.

Perhaps the best example is the murky message surrounding Obama's decision to intervene in Libya. I think he made the right call to join our allies in supporting a popular revolution against a dangerous thug and to align the U.S. with the youth-fueled reform movement spreading across the Muslim world. While it is too early to tell where this turmoil will lead, the facts of Middle Eastern demography dictate that it is firmly in our national interest to engage with these forces of change to keep them moving toward our democratic values. But the President's war speech, meant to clarify his policy, struck notes of timidity and limitation instead of victory and purpose. Nuanced, yes. Well argued, perhaps. But politically effective? Not at all.
(See the 2011 TIME 100 Poll.)

The President's other political burden is a sagging economy. Though the latest employment numbers have ticked up, too many Americans think his Administration is underperforming on job creation. While some economists think a recovery has begun, the cruel reality of presidential campaigns, once again, is that it is the perception people have of the economy, not the statistical reality, that rules the ballot box. The Obama recovery may prove too weak to help the Obama re-election campaign.

Combine the perception of a bad economy with one of weak leadership and it leaves Obama beatable, something even some Democrats will admit privately. The Republican nomination is very much worth having, warts and all. That is why Romney, Gingrich, Pawlenty and all the others are eyeing a lumpy bed in a cheap motel room tonight somewhere in rural Iowa, New Hampshire or South Carolina, thinking, Only 600 more nights like this to go.

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/politics/artic ... z1JpMiju9w
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

ignatius wrote: ... if any GOP candidates are silly pop cultures heads like Palin, Trump or 'too Christian' like the others, the moderates like me will vote for Obama.
But isn't that exactly what the Republicans need?  Who was the last Republican to win an election WITHOUT being a "pop culture head" or being "too Christian?"   Bush 41, maybe?  Reagan was a former movie star and George W. Bush didn't exactly hide his faith.  

McCain wasn't a pop culture head nor did he seem "too Christian."  Did he win?  No.  Of course, he did have the Palin factor, so perhaps that plays a major role into his loss.  
KC is the way to be!