2012 Election

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: 2012 Election

Post by chaglang »

As of the 2008 presidential election, there has been only one occasion when faithless electors prevented an expected winner from winning the electoral college vote: in December 1836, twenty-three faithless electors prevented Richard Mentor Johnson, the expected candidate, from winning the Vice Presidency. However, Johnson was promptly elected Vice President by the U.S. Senate in February 1837; therefore, faithless electors have never changed the expected final outcome of the entire election process.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faithless_elector
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

We had maybe 6 people in front of us around 7:15 this morning at the Comfort Inn at Admiral and Charlotte. Better turn out than primaries, but no delay to speak of. We were out in 15 minutes.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Took about 5 minutes at 8am this morning at Don Bosco as a Columbus Park voter. Of course if you were coming from river market it looked like it could have taken 30-45min or longer.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Rany Jazayerli (of Rany on the Royals) writes an extremely eloquent piece on why, as a lifelong GOP'er he voted for Obama in 2008 and again today. Fascinating stuff.

http://www.ranyontheroyals.com/2012/11/ ... nd-me.html

Background for those who aren't familiar with Rany: He's an extremely skilled baseball writer, and a Muslim physician from Wichita living in suburban Chicago. His article is worth your time.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

My voting place in Southmoreland Park area had about 25 at 11:30 with almost no wait but they said they were slammed this morning with lines.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Bovada had the line for Democrats winning at -450 and Republicans at +325, i placed a bet earlier today for the Republicans, only bet 35 bucks but it pays out 115.

I checked the line a little bit ago and it moved down to -350 to +275, glad i got locked in at +325
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

smh wrote:Rany Jazayerli (of Rany on the Royals) writes an extremely eloquent piece on why, as a lifelong GOP'er he voted for Obama in 2008 and again today. Fascinating stuff.

http://www.ranyontheroyals.com/2012/11/ ... nd-me.html

Background for those who aren't familiar with Rany: He's an extremely skilled baseball writer, and a Muslim physician from Wichita living in suburban Chicago. His article is worth your time.

Thanks for linking his piece. Sobering truth.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

In and out in 20 minutes in Waldo this morning. Was a freaking madhouse in 2008. Think this says a lot about Missouri but nothing really else to take from it.
zlohban
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by zlohban »

EXIT POLL BOOM FOR O
R: NC, FL
O: OH, NH, PA, MI, NV
TOSS UP: VA, CO, IA

It's President Obama. Serve me my crow, please.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

zlohban wrote:EXIT POLL BOOM FOR O

source?
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

I've heard (basically just seen a bunch of headlines today) that the exit polls aren't always super reliable, so we'll see. Those wins/toss-ups seem in line with the aggregate polling prior to the election, though.
zlohban
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by zlohban »

chrizow wrote:

source?
Drudge. But headline now changed. Must be a tease.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

Now it says this:
EXIT POLLS TIGHT
O: NH, PA, MI, NV
TOSS UP: OH, VA, CO, IA
Maybe he realized that people would stop clicking on his website if the election were "over" at 6:30 EST.
zlohban
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by zlohban »

I am still puzzled by Missouri. In 2008 it was basically an election tie. Why is it 10% up for Romney with little demographic changes and most of our views are somewhat centrist. We always fall in the middle of most national surveys of most any topic. We are also city / country balanced.

PS Not related-
RCP has a great one page view of all state results .... Live.
Last edited by zlohban on Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

If this is live polls you are basing it on then it is probably because KC and STL generally lag many of the rural counties in tallying their results. It will likely end up much closer than 10% in MO, but Romney will take it
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

zlohban wrote: PS Not related-
Yeah, RCP is a great site to see nearly everything in one view..
http://realclearpolitics.com/

Here is a good one to watch everything in MO...
http://www.cnn.com/election/2012/results/state/MO

KS...
http://www.cnn.com/election/2012/results/state/KS

Am flipping around the cable news channels and CNN seems to be doing a better job down to county level reports and comparing to 2008.

Edit: The KC Star election stuff is finally up and it looks like an OK layout.
pstokely
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by pstokely »

zlohban wrote:I am still puzzled by Missouri. In 2008 it was basically an election tie. Why is it 10% up for Romney with little demographic changes and most of our views are somewhat centrist. We always fall in the middle of most national surveys of most any topic. We are also city / country balanced.

PS Not related-
MO lacks a large Hispanic population
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

zlohban wrote:I am still puzzled by Missouri. In 2008 it was basically an election tie. Why is it 10% up for Romney with little demographic changes and most of our views are somewhat centrist. We always fall in the middle of most national surveys of most any topic. We are also city / country balanced.
Because there are a lot of dumb racists in that state outside of the KC/STL areas.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

Because Obama had a big ground campaign here in '08, spent a fair bit of $ and still lost the state, even in a landslide election. As a result, the Democratic National Committee has essentially written MO off for the foreseeable future of presidential contests, and spent no money/time here this cycle.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Claire-Bear beats Akin. Linda McMahon (of the WWE McMahon's) spent $100 million on two CT Senate races and has lost for the second time. GOP lost a really safe seat in Indiana when the candidate made a stupid rape remark.

GOP officially can not take control of the Senate. Shaping up to be a pretty good night for Dems. Hard to see how Romney wins at this point.