Twitter

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Twitter

Post by GRID »

OK, I have avoided twitter for as long as I could, but I'm going to give it a try.  But I'm clueless about it, how it works or how people use it.  I have renamed my website and now am working on new marketing ideas including social sites.

I have a favor to ask.  I have started a new twitter account that is linked to my website SkylineScenes.com.  You can go there and see the link in the upper left corner.

Would a few of you mind following it just so I have "something" to work with as I try to figure this out?

Also, any suggestions on how I should use twitter in this application?  Any suggestions on how to even get started or make the twitter account work well?

Thanks in advance!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: Twitter

Post by KCPowercat »

Follow who downtownkc follows :)

Ideas?  Picture of the day for people to view.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I guess I need to start following people first.  But a pic of the day sounds good.  Seems like way too much though.  Don't want to annoy people.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

GRID wrote: Don't want to annoy people.
You're already missing the point of Twitter. ;)
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Or the week but daily wouldn't be too much

GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Seems like a waste of time to me.  But who knows.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Nobody is forcing you to join :)

phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

The point of Twitter is definitely to update it as much as possible.  The only problem with a pic of the day idea is you could stand to be even more frequent than that.  Several good pics per day (posted throughout the course of the day, not all at once) would definitely get you some readership.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Seems like you'd want some watermarks on your skyline images. What keeps people from just saving them and using them however they please?

I see now that most of them have watermarks.

Tweet away.
"It's only when you leave Kansas City do you realize truly how great a city it is. ... If you have to go away, go away for a while. You'll be back. And when you come back, bring your ideas and willingness to make Kansas City the best."- Sly James
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KCPowercat wrote: Nobody is forcing you to join :)
I guess I don't understand it all.  I feel like I'm talking to myself.

But you guys are right.  This is what's it's for, so I will tweet away and see what happens!

Thanks for the replies.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

GRID wrote: I guess I don't understand it all.  I feel like I'm talking to myself.
it's like anything else: if you have something interesting to say (or share), people will catch on. but yeah, for awhile it will seem like shouting into an empty cave.

a word of advice: weed your followers. there's all kinds of spam and commercial crap out there. if you see a follower claiming great apartment deals in boise... BLOCK!
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

you'll get the hang of it, Grid. keep at it. it's not a waste of time and it's a great way of keeping track of news, professional contacts, blogs, etc.

http://twitter.com/SkylineScenes/
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Cool,  Thanks again, this has been a lot of help.
Northlander
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Northlander »

I'm on Twitter very frequently (@KCHams) and find it very useful. I usually utilize TweetDeck for my tweets, but like Hootsuite for scheduling tweets for a certain time. Feel free to send me a DM on Twitter and I'll help however I can.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

I'm pretty bad with Twitter-ese, but if you are trying to gain followers, make sure you include keywords with the # sign and no spaces.  As in: #kansascity, #KC, #skyline, or any other original keywords.  This helps your tweet get recognized by people looking for those specific things.  Also, retweeting other users' posts and responding to tweets of people you respect are good ways to gain new followers.
KC Kropf
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by KC Kropf »

Now Following... 

So pretty much most journalist use Twitter today for various functions, I think one of the most useful and also a suggestion for your use is to Tweet when you have done something new with your site IE added photo's, posted a new message, changed layout etc...  Tweet a hook and a link. "New Amazing KC Skyline Photos from Today www....."

I find this extremely helpful when say an old columnist who left the KC Star and is now working for a national brand Tweets something to the tune of "Latest article on Chiefs NFL dominance in 2011 www....." 

Good luck!
On to the Next One
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

Can I introduce facebook to the mix?
I don't get twitter for everyday use. I go to it when a disaster or sporting event is going on(sometimes the same thing), but I'm not interested in folks' ruminations. How does twitter work commercially?
On Facebook, in addition to my different groups of friends, I subscribe to a lot of feeds from websites about various things.
Here's one.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Society-f ... 0676170822
Couldn't you feed a picture a day on FB like I get from several like sites
similar to yours?
Last edited by bbqboy on Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Yea, I have a FB page.  I just launched it actually.

Please like it! haha

http://www.facebook.com/SkylineScenes

I used to have urban-photos, but that name just never worked for marketing.  The dash in the domain is difficult to deal with and there is another website called urbanphotos.com.  That's why I have so many more opportunities now with SkylineScenes, but I am sort of starting over, so it will take time.

flicker works too and it's also linked with the same name etc.

I'm starting to understand twitter better now, thanks to northlander (and others).  All of these seem to have a niche and serve a purpose in the social networking world.  

Somebody might find me via twitter, somebody else via facebook,  others via youtube, getty, superstock or just my website(s).

I thought twitter was dumb, but I think it get it now.  I thought FB was dumb too, but now I use it often as well.

I'm just having fun with it all right now.

Thanks for the additional tips.