Top 100 Worst Songs ever

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: Top 100 Worst Songs ever

Post by trailerkid »

it's interesting that everyone apparently hates hair metal and 70s arena rock songs.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

NDTeve wrote: Anything by Steve Miller or Boston is up there.
I think "More Than a Feeling" by Boston is one of the best pop songs of that era.
Boognish
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Boognish »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Nothing so wrong about those songs but what about the bubblegum music (Yummy, Yummy, Yummy) and the novelty songs (Snoopy vs the Red Baron), or songs by TV stars (Ringo) - not counting the Monkees.  MacArthur Park should be on the list for various reasons.

Some of the songs on the list I feel shouldn't be there (like Tubthumpting), however I probably know only about half of the songs.
Let's all remember the date that akp's contrary nature led him to defend a Chumbawumba song, even if halfheartedly.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Boognish wrote: Let's all remember the date that akp's contrary nature led him to defend a Chumbawumba song, even if halfheartedly.
AKP's points get knocked down
but he gets up again
logic's never going to keep him down
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

trailerkid wrote:it's interesting that everyone apparently hates hair metal and 70s arena rock songs.
I can't speak for anyone else, but there's a lot of both that I really like. As with anything, though, once something gets popular and everyone starts doing it to try and cash in, there ends up being an epic amount of utterly worthless bullshit.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

KC Sporting Life
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by KC Sporting Life »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: AKP's points get knocked down
but he gets up again
logic's never going to keep him down

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well done
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

oh whatever. you can't take that genre of 80s rock ballads seriously. it's funny. it's become a parody of itself through time and distance.

stuff that Aerosmith did in the 90s is just as bad and not funny.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

no, i'm serious, i love that song.  and many others like it.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

chrizow wrote: no, i'm serious, i love that song.  and many others like it.
ok...i thought you were posting it as worst.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

trailerkid wrote: ok...i thought you were posting it as worst.
I think this shows the fine line between greatest and worst :)
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
Joe Smith
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Joe Smith »

NDTeve wrote: Anything by Steve Miller is up there.
Obviously you've never heard Mercury Blues
There's nothing wrong with shooting as long as the right people get shot.   Harry Callahan

For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled.  Hunter S. Thompson
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Boognish wrote: Let's all remember the date that akp's contrary nature led him to defend a Chumbawumba song, even if halfheartedly.
It has been a popular song though.

From wiki:
The album version of the song opens with a sample of a monologue performed by Pete Postlethwaite in the 1996 film Brassed Off: "Truth is, I thought it mattered. I thought that music mattered. But does it bollocks! Not compared to how people matter."

The original UK version of Gladiators used the song when a Gladiator won a game, replacing Another One Bites The Dust in 1998 and 1999. It was also used in their flashback of the 1997 series.

In television, the song made an appearance in The Simpsons episode "Little Girl in the Big Ten" where Homer can be heard singing part of the song drunk. However, he sings his own version.[4]

In the Home Improvement series finale, the song was set to a montage of the main character's many pratfalls and accidents.

In episode 8.1 of CSI: Miami, Eric Delko is seen in a 1997 flashback scene driving his truck and singing along to this song.

The song was also used in a flashback to 1998 in the Chuck episode Chuck Versus the Cougars.

A fast eurodance version of the song was created in 1998 as the beginning track for Dancemania SPEED.

In the Warehouse 13 episode "Merge with Caution" the song is heard at Myka's class of 2000 ten year high school reunion.

"Weird Al" Yankovic covered portions of this song in his song "Polka Power!". Mixed martial artist Forrest Griffin chose this as his entrance song in UFC 106 against Tito Ortiz.

Rock band Phish played a cover of this song as their encore, which made an appearance on their live album Hampton Comes Alive. The song was used in the Children in Need Charity Single by Peter Kay and it was sung by members of the Animated All Star Band.

The song is featured briefly in the movie, Fired Up.

In the 2009 film "Fanboys" which is set in 1998, the song is heard playing at a Halloween party.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
ColumbusParkian
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by ColumbusParkian »

Centerfield by John Fogerty. Worst. Song. Ever.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

Top Five worst musical crimes against humanity (off the top of my head this morning):

5.  The Bee Gees wrote and released "To Love Somebody" (originally intended for Otis Redding oddly enough), then promptly became disco/yacht rock legends.  Not that I don't dig some of that on a different level, but "To Love Somebody" is an amazing tune.

4.  The Black Eyed Peas' inclusion of Fergie in their group.  Their first two albums were solid, the first being quite good, then it all fell apart with the inclusion of Fergie and a willingness to write a song called "Let's Get Retarded."

3.  The musical terrorism that is Toby Keith.

2.  Mamma Mia! the movie... and the musical.  Pierce Brosnen made me want to rip my earlobes off and stuff them into the canal.

1.  Carlos Santana becoming old.  Perhaps this is what would have eventually happened to Jimi H., Janis J., Jim M., Cass E., etc., but "Smooth" by Santana featuring Rob Thomas was one of my least favorite songs ever.  I hear Santana was on Dancing With the Stars this week.  Rock 'n Roll!!!
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: It has been a popular song though.
You know, Dude, I myself dabbled in pacifism once. Not in 'Nam of course.
Boognish
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Boognish »

A song being popular is one of the critical elements to it being one of the worst.

If it weren't, the list would be entirely populated by 15 year olds who threw together a metal album in their garage.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Boognish wrote: A song being popular is one of the critical elements to it being one of the worst.

If it weren't, the list would be entirely populated by 15 year olds who threw together a metal album in their garage.
It must also only be taking into account adult popularity or I would have to think the thing would be dominated by Bieber/Miley Cyrus/Jonas Brothers/Disney Channel pre-teen pop du jour.  Most of us manage to successfully tune that crap out unless you live with a pre-teen, otherwise it would have to take the lion share. 
Boognish
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Boognish »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: It must also only be taking into account adult popularity or I would have to think the thing would be dominated by Bieber/Miley Cyrus/Jonas Brothers/Disney Channel pre-teen pop du jour.  Most of us manage to successfully tune that crap out unless you live with a pre-teen, otherwise it would have to take the lion share. 
Agreed. The list is as much a judgment of the bad taste of people who should know better as it is a critical indictment of the artistic talents of the creators themselves. More so, even.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: It must also only be taking into account adult popularity or I would have to think the thing would be dominated by Bieber/Miley Cyrus/Jonas Brothers/Disney Channel pre-teen pop du jour.  Most of us manage to successfully tune that crap out unless you live with a pre-teen, otherwise it would have to take the lion share.  
I don't think "Baby" by Justin Bieber or "Party in the USA" by Miley are really that BAD of songs. They do what they were intended to do and I don't find them particularly offensive. It's bubblegum pop music for kids. Hating it as a genre is like saying you hate kids.  

I think the Black Eyed Peas and Katy Perry's brand of pop music is quite offensive which makes me classify it as WORST of the worst. It is a blatant shill for sales and multi-platform branding backed by extremely weak musical licks borrowed from the past. It seems like by the time you're an adult you shouldn't still be falling for this shit. So Katy Perry is a conservative Christian with implants that sings about kissing girls? OK.