Dumped TimeWarner cable modem for Clearwire wireless internet

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Dumped TimeWarner cable modem for Clearwire wireless internet

Post by ignatius »

I got an EVO phone with WiMAX/4G and it is so great, over 7Mbps at home (Plaza/Westport) that I decided to try Clearwire fixed cable modem.  Picked it up this weekend at Radio Shack and am getting up to 12Mbps, faster than TWC.  Is $40/month and modem was about $90, or you can lease modem with contract.  I think you can do 1.5Mbps for $30/month.

Some speedtest sites showed only 1.5Mbps, which was odd, so did a true download test of many files at once and confirmed 10Mbps sustained.  Also able to do VoIP will less issues than TWC.  Am streaming Netflix on PS3 in HD and downloading >6Mbps easily.  Am next thinking of getting rid of TWC cable TV as well and just use Netflix/Hulu/Playon on PS3.

Clearwire is wireless so won't have same performance everywhere and they don't have coverage in entire metro yet.  I'm fortunate to have a site a couple blocks from me and I'm above the treeline.  Check out the maps:  http://clear.com/coverage

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: Dumped TimeWarner cable modem for Clearwire wireless internet

Post by KCPowercat »

Thanks for the reminder. I think I should try this.....of course I think I am in some sort of time warner contract.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
splash
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by splash »

This is really timely.  We've been half-assed talking about ditching TWC lately, but I think the last straw came last weekend.  We lost internet connection Thursday afternoon/night, got a new modem Friday morning, and didn't get a solid connection until Sunday morning.  I had called Thursday night and confirmed there was no connection.  Husband called Friday afternoon because it apparently wasn't a modem issue, so they scheduled someone to come out Sunday afternoon.  Of course, we had a connection by the time the guy came out, so there was nothing they could do.  Although, when I asked the guy some questions and told him our issues, he said that they were aware that we our connection was shitty, based on our area.

We haven't had an issue with our cable tv going out, but we've managed to burn through 3-4 boxes in 6 years (2 in the past 2 years and I think our current box is on its last legs).  Our issue has consistently been internet, though.  This is our third modem in 2ish years and our connection has been annoyingly sluggish for around 8 months.  I don't know if some of the issues are because of our connection or just an internet thing, but they have been annoying.  For example, if I go to watch a video on youtube, it will stop randomly to buffer, which I get can happen.  However, if I pause the video and let the bar get pink all the way through, then let it play, it will still pause ever 20 seconds or so, like it's buffering.  This happens with about 75% of the video I try to play, no matter the source (youtube, daily show, local news channels, etc).  Drives me nuts.  We have no issues with this when playing a netflix video through the Wii, though. 

About 8 months ago, we were having issues, called TWC, and they sent out a tech.  He investigated our setup and asked us if we had messed with things.  We hadn't and he said that the setup we had coming into the house was wrong.  He took a look outside to see how things were wired and told us that everything was wired incorrectly.  According to him, our connection had too many "connections", meaning that instead of using one continuous wire to the house, they had spliced together 3-4 ft cables for our connection.  He immediately called TWC and put an order in for people to come out and replace the spliced wires with one solid cable. 

I want to ditch TWC and their crappy internet, but my husband is hesitant.  I'm tired of having issues and I'm furious as hell that we're now paying $110 for cable/internet (at the end of last year, our bill was just shy of $100).  Granted, $10 isn't a ton of money, but we haven't changed our package at all and I'm annoyed that it's useless for us to use our dvr to record anything in HD, because one hour of HD programming takes of 10% of space on our dvr. 

Sorry for the rant, but I really want to tell TWC to bite me. 
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

ugh. i just ran a speed test and i'm getting less than 1 mb/sec on TWC... with freakin' "powerboost". checking into clearwire now...
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Clearwire is going to be absolutely awesome when they get done. One low monthly price = unlimited nationwide 4G. Go on a road trip with my laptop and have faster-than-cable broadband the whole way? Sign me the F up. Unfortunately, for the moment their coverage is pretty limited, but they're growing super fast. I love these guys. And in case anyone wasn't aware, the Clearwire network is Sprint's 4G network. They're the ones deploying it. Sprint is basically a Clearwire reseller and 51% owner.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
Joe Smith
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Joe Smith »

What really sucks about TWC is reading comments on nationwide boards about folks saying they have had enough of TWC and their price hikes and them leaving for something better such as clearwire. They were leaving because they were paying almost $70 a month for tv and modem service on the east coast.

I'm paying about $120 a month for digital tv and cable modem.

What really gets my goat with these chumps is that I can't watch a news video on any local site without seeing their annoying 30 second commercials telling you how cheap they are if you join them.

Their ad budget has to be in the millions in the K.C. area with all their damn tv and internet commercials. T.V. is horrible. I see TWC commercials all day long.

You just gotta love the local companies like Sprint and others like TWC with all their promises of low rates for new customers. Meanwhile they let their current customers swing in the wind and don't spend a dime on customer service.
There's nothing wrong with shooting as long as the right people get shot.   Harry Callahan

For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled.  Hunter S. Thompson
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Joe Smith wrote:I see TWC commercials all day long.
Oh man... and who is that spokesguy? The one who used to blather on about how satellite providers hate puppies because they didn't offer free HDTV programming? I find myself compelled to shank his ass.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Funny thing is time warner is branding clear stuff too. None of their home products.

I can get-out of my time warner thing without penalty. I assume clear will refund your modem purchase if you aren't satisfied.....if so I am in, I get strong 4g on my phone so I assume their home router will too.

ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

Before anyone jumps into Clear, they don't have a good reputation either.  I decided to try them but they do have a history of oversubscribing; that is, adding more users to a site without upgrading capacity.   In early Clearwire cities, many have slower access as more users come on board.  Clear is starting to use more backhaul in newer rollout cities (including KC) and I read they are now doing 30-40Mbps microwave backhaul and >100Mbps landline where they can get it (in urban areas including urban core KC).

The other issue is that Clearwire uses a high frequency that doesn't penetrate buildings well.  However if you do get a 4G signal, it will likely be OK.  I'm fortunate to have a site just a couple blocks away.  You need to place the modem where there is best signal then use WiFi router.

Be careful not to get a Clear contract.  You have to buy the modem for under $100 from Clear (or get a used one from eBay, I'm using Series M modem) to avoid contract.  This way you can always go back to TWC or other if there are issues down the road.  Also, the fixed home modem doesn't have 3G for backup.  If you want a mobile version that also has 3G, get an Overdrive from Sprint.  That's $60/month though.  Or you can use EVO hotspot feature for $30/month and use a Buffalo router as repeater (more on that later).

I got mine at Westport Radio Shack but I think Best Buy also sells Clear.  At RS, they don't take the return, you have to send direct back to Clear, which I believe is 30 day but better confirm.  If doing no contract, you can cancel by month but you might have to sell your modem.  If you order online via Clear.com, I think you can avoid the $35 activation fee.

For those who have an EVO phone (or friend with one), first test 4G performance in best spot in home.  Don't use the Android speedtest apps as they don't work well with 4G for some reason.  

Use: http://speakeasy.net/speedtest

It appears EVO (Sprint 4G phone) can do up to about 7-8Mbps with 4G.  A dedicated modem can do more, up to 12Mbps or so if it has solid signal and if site is not oversubscribed.  They market the home service at 4-6Mbps with bursts over 10Mbps, so that is what you should expect.  For now, I'm getting solid 10-12Mbps but not expecting that to last.  I 'need' 4-5Mbps to do Netflix HD streaming and laptop browsing.  Will get rid of Clear if getting below that down the road.  Only loss is cost of modem and that could probably be sold.

More later...
Last edited by ignatius on Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Their site won't let me order because their map says the best coverage ends half block away. That's silly.

Maybe ill just go to radio shack or eBay and try it that way.

LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

What kind of up speeds does it do?
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

Clearwire caps at 1Mbps upload so that you don't use it for major hosting.  That's better than lower TWC tiers, which is about 500Kbps it appears.

They are also truly unlimited for downloads and seem to be promoting that so may not change for a while.  If they do get rid of unlimited, it will probably be comparable to the cable industry, not 3G world, since they want to compete in cable space.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

I was looking the other day at this and noticed that Time Warner's nationwide 4G map looks exactly like Clear's nationwide 4G map. Is it the same thing?
You know, Dude, I myself dabbled in pacifism once. Not in 'Nam of course.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yup.

ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

Yes, TWC resells Clearwire but the mobile version, not the fixed home version if I recall.  Haven't really looked into details but I think you still have cable modem + mobile so paying more in end. Now sure what they require but the mobile service alone is $70/month, which is higher than other options.

I decided to use Sprint EVO 3G/4G WiFi hotspot for mobile ($30/month, though there is a 'free' way to do it, violating terms) and fixed Clear modem for home at $40/month.  You could stick with TWC for home and use Clear for mobile, but much pricier.

If in a single household, you could just use an EVO phone, which I thought about doing, using a router as a repeater.  But I access content 'over the cloud' that is home, so always need a connection there when I'm not home.

For those who have a smartphone (iPhone, Pre, Android), check out how to 'live in the cloud'...
http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-evo ... orage.html
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yeah time warner only does the mobile clearwire stuff.

The EVO hotspot option is free right now on 4g due to some bug Sprint says they will fix this summer.  Just turn it on and it works.

Also you can tether one device to the EVO for free.

ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

Yeah, EVO hotspot works for 4G for now until they fix the 'bug', I hear in July. Some are using this method at times, which works with both 3G/4G - is violation of terms so don't use it very often....

http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-evo ... ering.html

I'm streaming from my phone every day - mostly car/work/bus.  A little bit of wifi tethering is a fraction of data I use on the phone itself.  I wouldn't use this method as a primary home connection - better pay the $30/month or get fixed Clear connection.
Gretz
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Gretz »

TheBigChuckbowski wrote: I was looking the other day at this and noticed that Time Warner's nationwide 4G map looks exactly like Clear's nationwide 4G map. Is it the same thing?
Just a little background:  Clearwire was an independent ISP for a time operating in a limited number of markets around the country.  In mid-2008 Sprint spun off its fledgling 4G network, XOHM, operating only in Baltimore at the time, into Clearwire with a group of investors including Comcast, Google, Intel, TWC and Brighthouse networks. They invested $3 billion, with Sprint having a 51% stake in the new Clearwire and the float of old CLWR shareholders' stake being reduced to about 27% with the remaining newly issued stock going to the other mentioned investors.  Last November mostly Sprint invested another $1.6 billion and Sprint now owns about 58% of Clearwire.  There is speculation in the markets in recent weeks that Sprint may buy much or all of the remaining 42% of Clearwire next year after subscribership growth trends prove themselves, essentially bringing the 4G network back in house.  

Sprint, Clear and the other investors can re-sell the services as they become available in new markets.  The cable companies got in partly out of fear that 4G networks would erode their cable internet subscriber base, just as we see happening with people like ignatius, and wanted to be able to sell re-branded services like "road-runner mobile."  Any 4G services you see sold anywhere in the country right now are part of what is essentially Sprint's 4G network as the next 4G networks (AT&T and Verizon) won't have services in many markets until 2012 (Verizon, with a test market early next year, and several markets by end of 2011, perhaps) or later (2013 for AT&T, likely).
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

Verizon has already said their 4G (LTE) won't be unlimited.  They'll sell the service as 'buckets of data' but no pricing announced yet.

I'd be surprised if Sprint buys the rest of Clear at this time. Clear needs other players involved willing to help pay for a national rollout.  If Sprint fully owned Clear, the CAPEX for rollout would show up on Sprint's books.  I'd guess the cable companies would invest more with Clear on their own than if Sprint fully owned them.
mlind
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mlind »

This isn't wireless, but you might want to check out local ISPs that provide ADSL It's  fast asymetrical ADSL2 that does not require an active phone line. It uses traditional copper wires. This service is also known as dry loop DSL.

At work we're switching from Speakeasy ($423/month) to ADSL.  It's $40/month for 1.5 download and up to 1 upload.  For varying prices, you can get downloads between 1.5 and 30.  The price for 30 is $145.  Way cheaper. 

I dumped Comcast (our TWC) for AT&T DSL because it was cheaper, but it's slow.  I might switch at home.

For traveling wireless, a guy here at work uses Verizon MiFi.