Urban Gardening and Landscaping

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Urban Gardening and Landscaping

Post by heatherkay »

With that good western sunny exposure, I've managed to keep thyme, oregano, rosemary, and lavender all winter for several winters, even a couple varieties that aren't supposed to be hardy. And basil, dill, cilantro, and parsley have come back from seeds that dropped.
sailey
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by sailey »

I thought I could try to make a small in door garden with vegetables and herbs (and maybe some flowers). But I don't know where to start and I'm not sure if my apartment is good enough and has the right climate for such a garden. Does anyone have experience with indoor-gardening here?
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

ChandraNH wrote:Heather, I have an oregano plant in my backyard, that has survived winter very well, and is very pretty. Blackberry/blueberry/raspberry bushes would be a good idea since they look like shrubs. I'll give it a shot.
I planted a blackberry 2 years ago and the thing has exploded into a monster and run half the length of the backyard on the fence. They do grow so very well in our climate.
AlbertHammond
New York Life
New York Life

Post by AlbertHammond »

It seems everyone is getting into the Emerald Ash Borer treatment game. There will be a lot of people wasting money treating trees that are no where near a known EAB infestation. I found this map here:
https://www.facebook.com/GreatTreesforKC

This page also has a good list of trees we SHOULD be planting in KC.

moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

For anyone who wants truly local sourced produce and/or a very wide array of native flowers and shrubs for positive landscape and pollinators there is City Roots Nursery at 31st and Highland(NW corner of 71-Bruce Watkins). They live in the area, have purchased multiple vacant lots and are growing in them. They have website catalog for plants in addition to have lots of stock at their stand. Also autumnal gourd/pumpkin for those who do decor.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

moderne wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:12 pm For anyone who wants truly local sourced produce and/or a very wide array of native flowers and shrubs for positive landscape and pollinators there is City Roots Nursery at 31st and Highland(NW corner of 71-Bruce Watkins). They live in the area, have purchased multiple vacant lots and are growing in them. They have website catalog for plants in addition to have lots of stock at their stand. Also autumnal gourd/pumpkin for those who do decor.
Awesome, thanks Moderne. I'll check them out.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »