Urban Gardening and Landscaping

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Urban Gardening and Landscaping

Post by FangKC »

I read that one should pinch back tomato buds this early in the season to allow the root structure of the plant to mature first. If you allow fruit to start developing so early, the roots will not grow deep enough to tolerate the hot summer.
There is no fifth destination.
mlind
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mlind »

ChandraNH wrote:
I'm planning on getting a dwarf meyer lemon tree and a lime tree from Four Winds Growers and will put them in pots on either side of the walkway up to the front door and then move them into the house this winter.
Meyer lemons taste so good.  Remember fruit trees need lots of water.  If the lemon tree leaves turn yellow, that means they need iron. 
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

We overturned a plot of land in our back yard and planted some cabbage, bell peppers, jalapeno peppers, and squash, not really sure if anything would grow since we know little about gardening. But sure enough, some sprouts are starting to come through! Very exciting. I just hope the rabbits can't get through my fence - they did a number on our neighbor's garden.

My wife's herbs are looking pretty good. It will be awesome to have fresh herbs on hand.

We were talking about planting a fruit tree sometime in the future - what are some good ones that can survive KC weather, aside from lemon?
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
drumatix
New York Life
New York Life

Post by drumatix »

KCMax wrote:
We were talking about planting a fruit tree sometime in the future - what are some good ones that can survive KC weather, aside from lemon?
If you're willing to wrap a small shrub-sized tree up during the winters to keep it from freezing solid -- figs.

If you're willing to wrap a HUGE tree with tarps -- also figs! There's a huge one in the old northeast.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

KCMax wrote:
Apple, pear, cherry, apricot, plum all grow here. Just remember though with fruit trees you have do deal with falling fruit when mowing the grass. I'm thinking about a cherry tree because the spring blooms are so lovely, and the falling fruit isn't so much a problem when mowing.
There is no fifth destination.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

KCMax wrote: what are some good ones that can survive KC weather, aside from lemon?
I wouldn't count the Lemon unless you are willing to haul it inside every winter.  Citrus won't survive in KC permenantly planted outside. 
jdubwaldo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by jdubwaldo »

KCMax - You will have to keep us posted on your garden.  I tried last year and for me trial and error is the only thing I'm going on.  I attempted to grow lettuce this spring, and it is actually working!  I've kept the bunnies out of my little garden by simply putting up that cheapo, terrible looking metal mesh fence that comes in a roll.  Shockingly, that has kept them out.  I read in This Old House that a bunny can eat 1 lb of greens per day.  Which doesn't surprise me looking at the state of the grass along our hedge where they like to hang out.  Bastards...... 
ChandraNH
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ChandraNH »

Garden update - Pictures to come later:

My plants are growing like crazy.  I have about 6 small tomatoes on the cherokee purple plant.  My jalapeno plant has buds.  the herbs have tripled in size but I've had to move them to different pots because the watermelon and canteloupe vines are doubling overnight and trying to strangle everything they come in contact with.

On the downside, insects are eating the leaves of my tomato plants so I'll have to spray something on them (and the other night I caught a rabbit eating my hostas).
jdubwaldo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by jdubwaldo »

Very nice!!!! I wish we had more sun in our small garden bed to make tomatoes work.  I have had a wonderful crop of lettuce.  It is amazing if you cut it and can't enjoy it all at once, it will last in the fridge for over a week.  Amazing what happens when food doesn't go through a processing facility and days and days of transit and who knows what.  I'd maintain a garden just for this lettuce.  YUM.
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

ChandraNH wrote: Garden update - Pictures to come later:

My plants are growing like crazy.  I have about 6 small tomatoes on the cherokee purple plant.  My jalapeno plant has buds.  the herbs have tripled in size but I've had to move them to different pots because the watermelon and canteloupe vines are doubling overnight and trying to strangle everything they come in contact with.

On the downside, insects are eating the leaves of my tomato plants so I'll have to spray something on them (and the other night I caught a rabbit eating my hostas).
The last couple of years have been plagues of grasshoppers.  Maybe this year with the rain, things will be better.  As for bunnies, we had a pair of foxes in our yard today -- I'll try to send them over.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

ChandraNH wrote: On the downside, insects are eating the leaves of my tomato plants so I'll have to spray something on them (and the other night I caught a rabbit eating my hostas).
If you find something that works well for insects eating veggie leaves, let me know - the soap-based stuffed I've tried hasn't done much and I'm scared to use anything stronger on plants I'll be eating from (hopefully).  We had a rabbit eat one of our hostas and the f-er tore through a coral bell down to the ground.  Ended up getting some rabbit/deer repellent that is basically urine from other animals in a spray bottle.  It worked wonders, but smells so putrid when spraying it on I almost threw up.
Roanoker
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Roanoker »

I remember reading some years back about a homeowner who had trouble with aphids. In a fit of emotion, he grabbed a bunch of the critters, smashed them all together (in a blender?), and then sprayed their remains back on the bushes they were destroying. To his surprise, all the other aphids disappeared. (I don't think this trick will work with rabbits.)
“Give up money, give up fame, give up science, give the earth itself and all it contains rather than do an immoral act.” —Thomas Jefferson (1785)
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Roanoker wrote: I remember reading some years back about a homeowner who had trouble with aphids. In a fit of emotion, he grabbed a bunch of the critters, smashed them all together (in a blender?), and then sprayed their remains back on the bushes they were destroying. To his surprise, all the other aphids disappeared. (I don't think this trick will work with rabbits.)
:lol: :lol: :lol:
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Roanoker wrote: I remember reading some years back about a homeowner who had trouble with aphids. In a fit of emotion, he grabbed a bunch of the critters, smashed them all together (in a blender?), and then sprayed their remains back on the bushes they were destroying. To his surprise, all the other aphids disappeared. (I don't think this trick will work with rabbits.)
Years ago my brother had a problem with a flock of birds flying over his car and shitting bumper to bumper, every day like clockwork.  He finally managed to shoot one in the yard with a pellet gun and left the corpse on the hood of his car for a day - the shit flyovers ceased immediately. 
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Years ago my brother had a problem with a flock of birds flying over his car and shitting bumper to bumper, every day like clockwork.  He finally managed to shoot one in the yard with a pellet gun and left the corpse on the hood of his car for a day - the shit flyovers ceased immediately. 
Hmmm.....I wonder if this system would work with the kids who throw trash in front of my place?
mudjack
New York Life
New York Life

Post by mudjack »

..Or the dogwalkers who don't pick up the shit.
Joe Smith
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Joe Smith »

I have found that having one of these around does wonders for your rabbit problem.

There's nothing wrong with shooting as long as the right people get shot.   Harry Callahan

For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled.  Hunter S. Thompson
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

pshaw! any cat could do that! :lol:
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

loftguy wrote: Hmmm.....I wonder if this system would work with the kids who throw trash in front of my place?
That's funny, except i know how much that pees me off. I could fill a regular shopping bag every few days on my end of the block.
mlind
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mlind »

FangKC wrote: Apple, pear, cherry, apricot, plum all grow here. Just remember though with fruit trees you have do deal with falling fruit when mowing the grass. I'm thinking about a cherry tree because the spring blooms are so lovely, and the falling fruit isn't so much a problem when mowing.
I seem to remember that two cherry trees are needed in order to cross pollinate. Also birds just love cherries.