Home Theatre PC (HTPC) Discussion

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Home Theatre PC (HTPC) Discussion

Post by KCMax »

bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

I was holding off on any HTPC-related upgrades to my network until after I got Google Fiber. Now that the long and tantilizing wait is over, I am looking to add a device to my network that is capable of streaming, and/or playing directly, 1080p quality video (not from disc) with HD audio passthru. I currently have a 2009 mac mini that does fine in one room, but I would like for a more dedicated device in my main entertainment area. Any recommendations? I've looked into Haswell Intel NUC's, but those get up to the $400 or $500 range pretty fast. Rasberry Pi and Ouya seem to both have problems with flawless playback of high-end videos. I have a Roku and understand what a non-hacked Apple TV can do, but installing XBMC is my ultimate goal. I also want the device to be as quiet as possible, so that rules out repurposing most old PCs. If I were more adventurous and knowledgeable, I would try to figure out a way to install XBMC on the Google Fiber TV Box. That would solve all of my problems in the best way possible, but I'd rather read about someone else doing it first.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

One downside to Google Fiber is that there is no cable card so DYI'rs can't use any HTPC as far as I know. I use HD HomeRun Prime with WMC7/TWC but am switching to Google soon so can't use it anymore. My building is just now getting hooked up but will be a few weeks before getting to my floor.

I've been thinking of getting rid of pay TV altogether for a while but will give Google TV a shot and then maybe dump it at some point for just gigabit.
KCtonic
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCtonic »

earthling wrote:One downside to Google Fiber is that there is no cable card so DYI'rs can't use any HTPC as far as I know. I use HD HomeRun Prime with WMC7/TWC but am switching to Google soon so can't use it anymore. My building is just now getting hooked up but will be a few weeks before getting to my floor.

I've been thinking of getting rid of pay TV altogether for a while but will give Google TV a shot and then maybe dump it at some point for just gigabit.
I've been an HTPCr for many years up until just the last year. Google Fiber TV is actually built using www.SageTV.com so in a way you are doing HTPC with it. What would you miss without your HTPC? I'm assuming you were using Microsoft's Windows Media Center?
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

HDHomeRun (with cable card) allows any computer to access the tuners via WiFi. So all laptops/computers with WMC (only option with TWC encryption) could get to the tuners and can also use WMC extenders - works very well if you have a high end WiFi router. Can't do that with Google Fiber, but can something like XBMC access Google DVR/tuners given it is Sage internally?
KCtonic
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCtonic »

earthling wrote:HDHomeRun (with cable card) allows any computer to access the tuners via WiFi. So all laptops/computers with WMC (only option with TWC encryption) could get to the tuners and can also use WMC extenders - works very well if you have a high end WiFi router. Can't do that with Google Fiber, but can something like XBMC access Google DVR/tuners given it is Sage internally?
You could with SageTV, but they've locked down the version inside GFTV pretty much to keep the networks happy. So probably not unfortunately.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Setting up my Simple.TV box right now. Just happens to be on Woot.com today. So far not excited that there is a premium service that cost 60 bucks a year but I will hold judgement until I have tried it without the service and can see what the limitations are. Had to sign up for the 30 day trail just to set the box up. (No payment info required, so I like that I don't have to cancel).