tennis.

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

tennis.

Post by chrizow »

my gf and i are thinking of taking up tennis.  anyone know where we can take reasonably-priced lessons?  midtown/plaza/brookside/etc. area strongly preferred.  someone told me that the rockhill tennis club is great and not unaffordable to join, but their (awful) website makes it sound rather exclusive. 
WSPanic
Supporter

Re: tennis.

Post by WSPanic »

chrizow wrote: my gf and i are thinking of taking up tennis.  anyone know where we can take reasonably-priced lessons?  midtown/plaza/brookside/etc. area strongly preferred.  someone told me that the rockhill tennis club is great and not unaffordable to join, but their (awful) website makes it sound rather exclusive. 

May want to try Woodside. Or, search online for someone that does it on the side. I would think it would be more affordable if you did separate from a club.

Oh - bend your knees and keep your eye on the ball. That one was free.
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I looked at woodside and was unimpressed. My buddy took lessons at the plaza tennis center and I don't think they were expensive.

Of course I still beat him so the lessons might suck.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
MidWestSider
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by MidWestSider »

what did you decide Chrizow?  i'm kinda curious myself about lessons.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

we joined woodside a few weeks ago, but haven't scheduled tennis lessons yet. 
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

chrizow wrote: we joined woodside a few weeks ago, but haven't scheduled tennis lessons yet. 
the guy who chides places like P&L/Jones joined the club known best for it's Saturday ultra pool parties...weird.

chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

KCPowercat wrote: the guy who chides places like P&L/Jones joined the club known best for it's Saturday ultra pool parties...weird.
i didn't know woodside had that reputation, but it's fine.  the "ultra pool" thing isn't my style, but i'm glad it's there for those who like it. 
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Just flipping you shit...really you didn't know that?  Head there on a summer saturday and prepare to be amazed....when I went to woodside to see if I wanted to join that was all they tried to sell me...its not a bad club but I was turned off by the extra cost of the indoor courts....and not super convienent location for downtown guy.

im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Ah Yes...Tennis.  The one sport that truly takes time to master.  Chrizow...You're in for one big, relentlessly challenging, frustrating, sometimes fun, experience.  8)
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

KCPowercat wrote: Just flipping you shit...really you didn't know that?  Head there on a summer saturday and prepare to be amazed....when I went to woodside to see if I wanted to join that was all they tried to sell me...its not a bad club but I was turned off by the extra cost of the indoor courts....and not super convienent location for downtown guy.
He'll be glad he has those indoor courts once winter rolls around.  Tennis is not a sport you can walk away from all winter and expect to be fresh once spring brings decent weather back.  Tennis is the one silver lining in my move to Texas, I can play year round now without spending a small fortune playing inside in the UK.  All I can say to Chriz is get some lessons, the sport is not all that intuitive.  I think you can get to a fairly respectable level of play pretty quickly with private lessons, consistent practice, patience and by thinking about what you are doing right and wrong.   
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Highlander wrote: He'll be glad he has those indoor courts once winter rolls around.  Tennis is not a sport you can walk away from all winter and expect to be fresh once spring brings decent weather back.  Tennis is the one silver lining in my move to Texas, I can play year round now without spending a small fortune playing inside in the UK.  All I can say to Chriz is get some lessons, the sport is not all that intuitive.  I think you can get to a fairly respectable level of play pretty quickly with private lessons, consistent practice, patience and by thinking about what you are doing right and wrong.   
Oh that's why I looked at Woodside...I wanted indoor courts to keep up on my game all winter...I just couldn't see paying additional per hour after their membership fees.

LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Highlander wrote:   Tennis is not a sport you can walk away from all winter and expect to be fresh once spring brings decent weather back. 
If only they would invent an indoor golf course for the same reason.  :lol:  I am surprised they haven't tried it in Dubai yet - go get in your indoor skiing followed up by a nice airconditioned round of golf. 
jdubwaldo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by jdubwaldo »

chorizow - My hubby and I are members at Woodside, have been for 4 years or so and just took their 6 week Adult 101 then 201 sessions this Spring. We really enjoyed it, the pro Scott who does lessons is great.  It's nice to have the inside and outdoor options during inclement weather, and the group lessons are an affordable way to get started to see if you like it.  There were a total of 6 of us in the 101 and only 4 in the 201.  We both loved it, you still get to hit a lot of balls but don't have the expense of individual lessons.  I also liked seeing others are struggling too, that it was not just me.  I really we would have retaken 201 to be able to hit a lot of balls.  It's frustrating and I get mad when we go to practice and balls are flying in the street and everywhere.  Scott tells us that is the number one reason why people get flustered and quit, which is true in our case.  I think we'll redo 201 in the fall.  :)  I hope this helps if you have questions let me know!   
jdubwaldo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by jdubwaldo »

Also, I may be incorrect about this, but my understanding is you don't have to actually join Woodside to take their adult tennis courses.  There were a couple in our class that I'm pretty sure weren't members.  So if you don't like it you aren't committed to a membership either......

Scratch this you are already a member. Dummy me.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Is there any place in KC that has pay and play indoor tennis, something where you do not need to be a member and just pay a fee instead?  I will likely be there at Thanksgiving and Christmas when it's going to be too cold to play outdoors and my daughter wants to keep up on practice.
Last edited by Highlander on Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Not sure, but you might want to check out North Kansas City Racket Club, just of off Burlington and Armour Road in downtown NKC.  I work nearby and have been meaning to check it out for the same reason after someone suggested that pay-to-play indoor courts might be available there.
are we spinning free?
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Might try Hillside Racquet Club.
MidWestSider
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by MidWestSider »

Just played for the first time this year. MAN i love summer!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

How is everybody's game this year so far?  Went to Penn Valley yesterday and all four courts were full...good to see.

Can somebody tell the city that the Explorer's court should be open to the public when they aren't in season?  It's a shame there isn't one public tennis court in/around the loop...maybe one added to Case Park?

ChandraNH
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ChandraNH »

If any other Woodside members are looking for someone to play with, let me know.  My husband and I have been members for 2 years and he plays pretty regularly when he can get an opponent.