My Inaugural Experience

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

My Inaugural Experience

Post by Midtownkid »

Exiting the Metro.  Never seen the Metro like this!  Two trains in front of us had to unload because people broke the doors.  :x  Took about 45 minutes for a 15 minute train ride.  The exit gates also broke so we all got out of the system free of charge!

We got out at Judiciary Square.  We were directed to Penn. Ave by way of the 3rd street tunnel.  (My firm recently redid the ceiling of the tunnel!)  That mob wasn't moving so that didn't happen.  Looked like a Zombie Movie or something.

After going a different way, passing mobs of people looking dazed and lost, we found the Purple Ticket entry.  Yaye!  Now if only we could get through the cruhing mob, 100 feet deep.  After about 30 min of pushing and being pushed we got to the front.

On the other side of the fence.

From there is was smooth sailing.  Only bad part were my frozen toes...and some disrespectful neighbors.  We didn't really have a view of the stage, although we were so close.  Our angle was bad.  Our Video Board was kind of obscured by the trees too.  Oh well.  Still amazing!

Our View

What we could see of the platform

More tree people.  Notice the people on the statues too?  I had a meeting at Smithsonian Today...they were all complaining about how everything was torn up and how people were all over the trees and the statues.  Oh well...

Trashy

On our way out we saw Bust taking off from the East side of the Capitol.

Bye Bush...

Metro station at Union Station flooded w/ people.  We walked 7 blocks north to the next station, it was pretty empty.

MC86
New York Life
New York Life

Re: My Inaugural Experience

Post by MC86 »

It amazes me that with 4 days notice of the impending Hurricane Katrina, people in NO just couldn't afford or didn't have the means to evacuate the city.  However, I'm sure a good majority of these same people were able to  make it to Washington DC to watch the Inauguration for several days.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

MC86 wrote: It amazes me that with 4 days notice of the impending Hurricane Katrina, people in NO just couldn't afford or didn't have the means to evacuate the city.  However, I'm sure a good majority of these same people were able to  make it to Washington DC to watch the Inauguration for several days.
Oh my what an ironclad grasp of logic and deductive reasoning.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
darin
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by darin »

MC86 wrote: It amazes me that with 4 days notice of the impending Hurricane Katrina, people in NO just couldn't afford or didn't have the means to evacuate the city.  However, I'm sure a good majority of these same people were able to  make it to Washington DC to watch the Inauguration for several days.
Perhaps the most ridiculous post I've ever read on this forum.  Ever.  The more I think about it, the more I'm insulted by the racist undertone of the post. 
omenapt
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by omenapt »

Ouch!
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

What makes you think any of these people are from NO, or better yet, are the poor people who were trapped there?  You had to have a big chunk of change or friends in the area to come visit for this event.  Hotel rooms were over the top expensive.

On another topic, I went to the Mall this weekend and there is literally NO GRASS growing on any part of it.  The middle is usually patchy, but now it's a mud pit.  The sides, where trees grow, is usually protected and grassy.  Now it's just mud, too.  You can see the millions of foot prints.  SAD.  Congress needs to add some $$ for re-sodding this in some bill, soon!
Last edited by Midtownkid on Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
MC86
New York Life
New York Life

Post by MC86 »

edit
Slappy the Wang
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Slappy the Wang »

I'm glad the inauguration was fun, but it's costing $20 million in stimulus cash to re-sod the mall.
Be green or go Broke Tryin'
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

I think they are taking it out of the Stimulus bill as it is doesn't really have much to do with stimulating the economy.  It does need to be re-sodded...and has needed a face lift for years.  This is the centerpiece of America's Capitol after all!  20 million is a lot, but worth it in the long run.  Right now it does look like the centerpiece of a country in a recession/depression.  :lol:  I'll have to post a muddy pic later