Parents Upset At Tone Of Letter Sent Home

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
pstokely
Colonnade
Colonnade

Parents Upset At Tone Of Letter Sent Home

Post by pstokely »

Student Behavior Blamed For Failing Math Finals
http://www.kctv5.com/education/18477054 ... n&psp=news#-
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: Parents Upset At Tone Of Letter Sent Home

Post by Highlander »

pstokely wrote: Student Behavior Blamed For Failing Math Finals
http://www.kctv5.com/education/18477054 ... n&psp=news#-
Wow, the comments, which were well written and from apparently informed people, were an eye opener.       
Jason
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Jason »

I think every classroom in America should be equipped with a camera and mic.  Let parents have access to the camera's.  I bet you would have both the students and the teachers operating at a different level......
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

sometimes the truth hurts.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
coachbarbee
Surface Lot

Post by coachbarbee »

Yes, of course the parents were offended.  As someone with an intimate knowledge of RHS, I can tell you that despite their offense, Ms. Wilson-Todd is right. I don't know her well, but she seems extremely professional. She is an African American woman and a well educated, well-spoken person.

This high school has done incredible things the past five or six years to change its culture. Stricter standards, a totally rewritten curriculum, a focus on benchmarks, and an adherence to the principals of smaller learning communities have all been introduced and used. Teachers work until 8 or 9 pm regularly at school to try to keep up with no extra pay.  Despite the incredibly hard work of almost all the teachers in the building, they constantly struggle against the low expectations and the overall feeling that the schools are "against" them that are bred into the students of the district.  Many parents have little education, and a large percentage of those had bad school experiences themselves.

If a real change is to be made in the achievement of the students, expectations have to be raised,  and teachers must have the unqualified support of the parents.  Until that happens, RHS and many urban schools will continue to struggle.  This is not a "black vs. white" thing. It is a poverty thing. Poor urban and poor rural students are the ones who are struggling the most, and they couldn't look any  more different. It's about parents and their experience in school, and the time they spend giving their kids a feeling that school is a priority.

I sincerely wish that those who don't KNOW what they are talking about would hush for a second and allow teachers to state their case. As a lifelong educator, one gets a little tired of being told they are worthless.  I am lucky to educate motivated students in a high achieving, affluent area, but I feel for my brothers and sisters at RHS and schools like it, who are trying SO HARD to make a difference and are constantly told they aren't good enough.
ShowME
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by ShowME »

Now where's the follow-up letter about the failure of parents.  From high divorce rates to substance abuse to child abuse to living out of their means, to not knowing where there kids are, to no assistance with homework etc. etc.  F- is deserved.
Calling a spade a spade.
drumatix
New York Life
New York Life

Post by drumatix »

Without seeing the letter, I'm guessing that this is a complete crock of BS... the teachers alert the parents & that their kids are failing, probably in a terse and urgent tone, and this is somehow the fault of the teachers? Would the parents prefer not to be notified? That'd certainly be easier and wouldn't inconvenience anyone. The lack of personal responsibility in our society is pretty amazing sometimes. I'm glad my parents didn't blame my teachers when I did poorly in a few classes.