Fairfax District - changed from MO to KS in the 1800s

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
Post Reply
User avatar
DanCa
Valencia Place
Valencia Place
Posts: 1614
Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2002 12:11 pm
Location: Denver, CO (Stapleton)

Fairfax District - changed from MO to KS in the 1800s

Post by DanCa » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:47 pm

Here's an odd tidbit I just stumbled across while doing some research for work on Wikipedia regarding the MO River:

Since the lower river meanders through a broad floodplain in Midwestern states, it has often changed course and in its wake left numerous oxbow lakes (Big Lake is the largest such lake in Missouri). In the early 1800s the United States Supreme Court (which decides state border disputes) ruled that when the river changed course the border also changed (as happened with the Fairfax District at Kansas City, Kansas which switched from Missouri to Kansas.) However, in the late 1800s the Court began ruling on absolute boundaries, creating geographic oddities such as Carter Lake, Iowa, which is now a piece of Iowa on the west side of the Missouri between downtown Omaha and Eppley Airfield, and the French Bottoms in St. Joseph, Missouri, a piece of Missouri on the west of the river, requiring Missouri residents to go through Kansas in order to reach Rosecrans Airport.


I've been in that piece of Iowa by Omaha.  I remember seeing the "Welcome to Iowa" sign and at first I thought it was a joke, but checked the map and realized the river must have moved at some point. 

User avatar
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower
Posts: 9233
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2004 10:57 am
Location: Kansas City, Missouri (Downtown)
Contact:

Re: Fairfax District - changed from MO to KS in the 1800s

Post by AllThingsKC » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:03 pm

The river also used to flow NORTH of River Bend (which is in Jackson County).  Untill a flood came, and the river changed its course.

Now, there's a part of Jackson County that is North of the River, and there's a part of Clay county that is South of the River.
Image
beautyfromashes wrote:This thread is now worse than the Downtown Stadium/ Save our Stadiums thread. It makes me want to shoot myself in the head everytime I see it turn red. Congratulations ATKC, you now = kcdcchef.

shinatoo
One Park Place
One Park Place
Posts: 6354
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:20 pm

Re: Fairfax District - changed from MO to KS in the 1800s

Post by shinatoo » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:35 pm

I'm guessing that if the whole are had stayed in tact on the Missouri side that is where out major airport would be. Stupid river.
Quocunque Jeceris Stabit

User avatar
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square
Posts: 2812
Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2004 2:56 pm
Location: Manheim Park
Contact:

Re: Fairfax District - changed from MO to KS in the 1800s

Post by voltopt » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:39 pm

I think even before the 1951 flood, the fairfax district was planned as the large airport location.  The 51 flood took out Fairfax, but didn't affect Municipal.  Mid-Continent Airlines built a new runway up north by Platte City, because of this flood, which eventually became MCI (Kansas City international)
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton

User avatar
Highlander
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower
Posts: 9146
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:40 pm
Location: Houston

Re: Fairfax District - changed from MO to KS in the 1800s

Post by Highlander » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:46 pm

voltopt wrote: I think even before the 1951 flood, the fairfax district was planned as the large airport location.  The 51 flood took out Fairfax, but didn't affect Municipal.  Mid-Continent Airlines built a new runway up north by Platte City, because of this flood, which eventually became MCI (Kansas City international)
Fairfax was built in 1921 but expanded in the 1940's when Fairfax became the production site for the North American B-25 bomber.  After the war, I believe TWA's precursor company bought part of the North American works for maintenance but then moved the base up to Mid Continent.  The Fairfax runways were longer than Municipal but I do not ever remember reading plans that Fairfax would usurp Municipal as KC's main airport although I guess TWA may have been thinking in that direction right after the war. 

User avatar
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 9029
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2003 8:28 am
Location: West 39th St. - KCMO

Re: Fairfax District - changed from MO to KS in the 1800s

Post by dangerboy » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:51 pm

shinatoo wrote: I'm guessing that if the whole are had stayed in tact on the Missouri side that is where out major airport would be. Stupid river.
Platte County was actually in Kansas before it was in Missouri. The state line was originally at the Clay/Platte County line.  The northwest tip of Missouri was transferred in the 1800s in the Plate Purchase, includes present-day Platte County, St. Joseph, Maryville, etc.

User avatar
KCFutbol
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower
Posts: 1072
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:41 am

Re: Fairfax District - changed from MO to KS in the 1800s

Post by KCFutbol » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:52 pm

DanCa wrote: I've been in that piece of Iowa by Omaha.  I remember seeing the "Welcome to Iowa" sign and at first I thought it was a joke, but checked the map and realized the river must have moved at some point. 
Correct. Carter Lake used to be part of the Missouri.

shinatoo
One Park Place
One Park Place
Posts: 6354
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:20 pm

Re: Fairfax District - changed from MO to KS in the 1800s

Post by shinatoo » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:46 pm

dangerboy wrote: Platte County was actually in Kansas before it was in Missouri. The state line was originally at the Clay/Platte County line.  The northwest tip of Missouri was transferred in the 1800s in the Plate Purchase, includes present-day Platte County, St. Joseph, Maryville, etc.
Before 1836 the Platte Purchase area was part of the Missouri Territory. Before Kansas was a state (1861), or even a territory (1854) the area now know as Kansas was part of the Missouri Territory. Platte was never in Kansas in any sense of the word.
Quocunque Jeceris Stabit

User avatar
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 9029
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2003 8:28 am
Location: West 39th St. - KCMO

Re: Fairfax District - changed from MO to KS in the 1800s

Post by dangerboy » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:25 pm

shinatoo wrote: Before 1836 the Platte Purchase area was part of the Missouri Territory. Before Kansas was a state (1861), or even a territory (1854) the area now know as Kansas was part of the Missouri Territory. Platte was never in Kansas in any sense of the word.
My bad.   Kansas wasn't even a territory at that point.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platte_Purchase

aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square
Posts: 12257
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 10:31 pm

Re: Fairfax District - changed from MO to KS in the 1800s

Post by aknowledgeableperson » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:22 pm

AllThingsKC wrote: The river also used to flow NORTH of River Bend (which is in Jackson County).  Untill a flood came, and the river changed its course.
I was lead to believe that it was the COE that changed the river course for river traffic.  Not sure what came first but what flood are you talking about.  Maybe the one in the early 1900's?
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.

shinatoo
One Park Place
One Park Place
Posts: 6354
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:20 pm

Re: Fairfax District - changed from MO to KS in the 1800s

Post by shinatoo » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:00 pm

aknowledgeableperson wrote: I was lead to believe that it was the COE that changed the river course for river traffic.  Not sure what came first but what flood are you talking about.  Maybe the one in the early 1900's?
COE changes the course of the river at River Bend knocking a 4-6 hours off of barge travel time and greatly reducing navigation difficulties.
Quocunque Jeceris Stabit

User avatar
FangKC
City Center Square
City Center Square
Posts: 14200
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2003 10:02 pm
Location: Old Northeast -- Indian Mound

Re: Fairfax District - changed from MO to KS in the 1800s

Post by FangKC » Wed May 22, 2019 6:57 am

New signage for the Fairfax District shows the history of the B-25 bomber development.

Click right side to advance through photos.

https://www.facebook.com/b25history/pho ... =3&theater

Source:

https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post. ... 1390050596

User avatar
Eon Blue
Colonnade
Colonnade
Posts: 972
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:28 pm
Location: Downtown KCMO

Re: Fairfax District - changed from MO to KS in the 1800s

Post by Eon Blue » Wed May 22, 2019 7:59 am

Video of the Liberty Bend Cutoff in 1949: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uug4ae6TJV4

scooterj
Oak Tower
Oak Tower
Posts: 5951
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2003 1:30 pm
Location: Northmoor
Contact:

Re: Fairfax District - changed from MO to KS in the 1800s

Post by scooterj » Wed May 22, 2019 10:24 am

Eon Blue wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 7:59 am
Video of the Liberty Bend Cutoff in 1949: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uug4ae6TJV4
Cool! I'd always thought the Liberty Bend shift happened due to natural flooding, I had no idea it was man-made and also so recent!

User avatar
grovester
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Posts: 3941
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:30 pm
Location: KC Metro

Re: Fairfax District - changed from MO to KS in the 1800s

Post by grovester » Wed May 22, 2019 10:29 am

Do you think that affected the currents upstream? Would the bend have calmed the entire flow?

scooterj
Oak Tower
Oak Tower
Posts: 5951
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2003 1:30 pm
Location: Northmoor
Contact:

Re: Fairfax District - changed from MO to KS in the 1800s

Post by scooterj » Thu May 23, 2019 10:55 am

dangerboy wrote:
Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:25 pm
shinatoo wrote: Before 1836 the Platte Purchase area was part of the Missouri Territory. Before Kansas was a state (1861), or even a territory (1854) the area now know as Kansas was part of the Missouri Territory. Platte was never in Kansas in any sense of the word.
My bad.   Kansas wasn't even a territory at that point.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platte_Purchase
I missed this thread when it first started so I'm 11 years late in clicking on that Wikipedia link. Reading about the legal issues surrounding the Platte Purchase led me to an article about the Indian Removal Act; and from reading that, Thomas Jefferson might very well rival the current resident as the most despicable person to ever reside in the White House.

flyingember
One Park Place
One Park Place
Posts: 7811
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:54 am

Re: Fairfax District - changed from MO to KS in the 1800s

Post by flyingember » Fri May 24, 2019 9:40 am

grovester wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 10:29 am
Do you think that affected the currents upstream? Would the bend have calmed the entire flow?
The outside curve of a bend also could trap debris, creating a fast spot as the curve would help create instability in the flow as the river could have shrunk in size quicker than it eroded the inside curve

flyingember
One Park Place
One Park Place
Posts: 7811
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:54 am

Re: Fairfax District - changed from MO to KS in the 1800s

Post by flyingember » Fri May 24, 2019 9:51 am

It gets way more interesting. The county seat of Jackson County is not entirely inside Jackson County.

Where the Blue River enters the Missouri there's a triangle formed where the river used to be, Rock Creek forms two sides.

This small triangle of Clay County is split up among Kansas City, Independence and Sugar Creek. NKC Schools appears to be the district for all of it, south of the river.

Post Reply