Election 2008

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Election 2008

Post by KCMax »

http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/

Really great political analysis site. They break it down using polling in states and actual statistics methods, not looking at silly things like national polls like the major media and speculating on facts pulled out of rear ends. One of the main contributors is also a contributor at Baseball Prospectus, for anyone that is familiar with that great site.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

eliphar17 wrote: That "Obama is a Muslim" and "his middle name is Hussein!!!" crap is so sickening to me. It's not the racist undertones that get me mad, it's the fact that the Republicans happily condone such discussion, though without ever publicly saying so of course. They know that literally millions of votes will go their way in November just because of idiots who think Obama is a Muslim. They would be shooting themselves in the foot if they made any concerted effort to educate people in the name of fairness to Obama. Thank you Karl Rove for a Republican party that wants to get power at any cost.
I had to laugh out loud at that post. What a joke.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

NDTeve wrote: I had to laugh out loud at that post. What a joke.
What's funny is, the Dems are angry that Hillary (and of course, the GOP) darrrrrrres to discuss the Rev. Wright problem, and Obama's nutty church.

But then they turn around and also claim that Hillary & the GOP are trying to portray him as Muslim.   How they can pull both of these feats off, is amazing!
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
KCKev
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCKev »

Maitre D wrote: What's funny is, the Dems are angry that Hillary (and of course, the GOP) darrrrrrres to discuss the Rev. Wright problem, and Obama's nutty church.

But then they turn around and also claim that Hillary & the GOP are trying to portray him as Muslim.  How they can pull both of these feats off, is amazing!
In such desperate need for change, anything is possible.

So can you spare some change, I need to catch the bus.
If you're not on the EDGE, you're taking up TOO MUCH ROOM!
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Maitre D wrote: What's funny is, the Dems are angry that Hillary (and of course, the GOP) darrrrrrres to discuss the Rev. Wright problem, and Obama's nutty church.

But then they turn around and also claim that Hillary & the GOP are trying to portray him as Muslim.  How they can pull both of these feats off, is amazing!
He is pretty amazing!

KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Will Obama pander to the JoeMoney vote?

Hagel says he'd consider VP offer from Obama

eliphar17
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by eliphar17 »

AllThingsKC wrote: His name is BARACK HUSSEIN OBAMA.  Calling him that has "racist undertones" in the first place?  As far as the GOP condoning that, you're probably right.  They have a White House to try a win.  If it hurts your enemy, it helps you.

Again, you're probably right.  The GOP is trying to win an election.  So, why would the Republicans say, "He's not a Muslim"?  They don't have to say anything, and people will still think Obama is Muslim, like you pointed out.  Further, why would the GOP care about being FAIR to Obama?  Do you think Obama cares about being FAIR to McCain?  No!  Both parties are trying to win and and they WANT people to look at the other candidate negatively.  It's call Politics and it sucks.

LOL.  Yeah, 'cause I'm sure EVERY SINGLE DEMOCRAT has NEVER tried to lie, cheat, or steal to get in power, ONLY the Republicans.  All Republicans are evil.   Every single Democrat is so honest and full of grace that they only care about gaining power in a fair, honest way.  Sure.    Again, I'll say it's call Politics and it sucks.
Well thanks for extrapolating way too far from what I actually said and putting a lot of words in my mouth. I wasn't actually trying to say anything about Democrats or even make a comparison.

I guess rather than the word "fair", I should have used the word "truthful". When a party's campaign for leading the country is, on some deep level, based on encouraging the direct ignorance of millions of people on something so far removed from the actual issues... well that concerns me and I don't understand how people could support such a party. Evidently I'm a whacko for thinking that though.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

eliphar17 wrote: Well thanks for extrapolating way too far from what I actually said and putting a lot of words in my mouth. I wasn't actually trying to say anything about Democrats or even make a comparison.
My apologies if I read too much into your post.
eliphar17 wrote: I guess rather than the word "fair", I should have used the word "truthful". When a party's campaign for leading the country is, on some deep level, based on encouraging the direct ignorance of millions of people on something so far removed from the actual issues... well that concerns me and I don't understand how people could support such a party. Evidently I'm a whacko for thinking that though.
No, you're not wacko about politics.  You're only wacko for being a KU and OU fan.  (Just Kidding)

I would like to point out that BOTH parties encourage direct ignorance.  Therefore, no matter what party you support, you're going to be part of a "corrupt" (for lack of a better word) party.  Sadly, ignorance is bliss for politicians because it helps hide their mis-cues and views.
KC is the way to be!
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

eliphar17 wrote: Well thanks for extrapolating way too far from what I actually said and putting a lot of words in my mouth. I wasn't actually trying to say anything about Democrats or even make a comparison.

I guess rather than the word "fair", I should have used the word "truthful". When a party's campaign for leading the country is, on some deep level, based on encouraging the direct ignorance of millions of people on something so far removed from the actual issues... well that concerns me and I don't understand how people could support such a party. Evidently I'm a whacko for thinking that though.
After seeing the views espoused by his Christian church...I'd almost prefer if Obama was Muslim.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

NDTeve wrote: After seeing the views espoused by his Christian church...I'd almost prefer if Obama was Muslim.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25340374/
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

I can't blame the guy for wanting to distance himself from Islam. With all the retarded people out there who are afraid of Muslims, it only makes sense that he wouldn't like being seen in mosques....would only hurt his standing with white America that much more....the votes that he's going to need.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

So he should distance himself from Islam but not cater to the Christian crowd because all those people are crazy too....All our leaders should be Atheist?
- Mark Twain
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

NDTeve wrote: So he should distance himself from Islam but not cater to the Christian crowd because all those people are crazy too....All our leaders should be Atheist?
Umm, I can't really tell what you're trying to say here. Can you rephrase this?
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

not Islam...not Christian...not Jewish...no religion too John Lennon.
- Mark Twain
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

NDTeve wrote: All our leaders should be Atheist?
that would be awesome.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Maybe MD should post the link a fourth time, so everyone gets it.

kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

NDTeve wrote: not Islam...not Christian...not Jewish...no religion too John Lennon.
You should've left the question mark off your post about our leaders being Atheist. Then I could understand what you were trying to say.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

NDTeve wrote: not Islam...not Christian...not Jewish...no religion too John Lennon.
John Lennon's views weren't in line with those religions. He was more Buddhist than anything else. Big difference.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

chrizow wrote: that would be awesome.
"I most certainly agree"  - Mao Tse Tung

NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

I was quoting "imagine"
- Mark Twain