Election 2008

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: Election 2008

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Pendergast wrote: Full disclosure:  I voted for Kerry in 04 precisely because he was NOT Bush.   I will never vote for someone with a middle name of W. 
Well, I guess you cannot vote for Obama then.  His real name on his birth certificate is Barry Warren Obama but he changed his name to Barack Hussein Obama when he converted to the Muslum faith.  His joining that radical church in Chicago was his way, and his handlers (think Manchurian Candidate), of hiding his true intentions.

Of course, the above is a joke just in case you tend to believe it.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I had a friend of mine tell me he couldn't vote for Barack because he won't put his hand on his heart during the pledge of allegiance. (1) Its absurd to believe that someone running for President wouldn't do that; and (2) its patently absurd to not vote for someone based on something as trivial as that. This wasn't some backwater old fogey, this was a young, smart, internet-savvy person.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

Sadly, I think it is easier to proliferate bigotry when it is masked as an anti-Muslim message.  Most people, even the biased ones, have been conditioned to never overtly admit racial bias, but for some reason it is OK to openly hate the allegedly anti-patriotic and those of Islamic faith (mostly if their beliefs are qualified as "extremist").  I think it is sad that this veil of intolerance still exists to the degree I have seen with the Obama e-mails. 

Also, didn't we learn our lesson from blind faith in the church of patriotism from our current leader.  Whoever has the most flag magnets on his or her car does not win us a war or favor in the middle east or make us better people.  In fact, I would think that many people with those magnets are so disconnected from the war, they couldn't tell you that we are still in Afghanistan.  Are we going to start kicking people out of baseball games for not holding their hands over their hearts or removing their caps?  It is definitely in poor taste not to do so, but to question a person's entire system of beliefs and integrity simply because they don't hold their hand over their heart one time is idiotic. 

The level of untruth and misinformation being distributed through e-mail now would make the North Koreans blush, but I guess that has been happening since the dawn of AOL.  If you don't know about it already, snopes.com is a great way to debunk any suspect chain e-mails you get.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

bobbyhawks wrote: It is definitely in poor taste not to do so, but to question a person's entire system of beliefs and integrity simply because they don't hold their hand over their heart one time is idiotic. 
Especially when you take into account that many people have ethical/religious issues with swearing oaths (the pledge really is an oath of fealty).  Swearing oaths of allegence was a big deal back in the day and there is substantial evidence to suggest that our founding fathers specifically wanted to prevent US citizens from being put in the position of having to swear any of these sort of oaths as had been required in Britain and caused all kinds of problems.  A bit misguided perhaps that our congress over 100 years later decided to implement one despite the fact that it ran contrary to our founding principles. 
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

bobbyhawks wrote: Sadly, I think it is easier to proliferate bigotry when it is masked as an anti-Muslim message.  Most people, even the biased ones, have been conditioned to never overtly admit racial bias, but for some reason it is OK to openly hate the allegedly anti-patriotic and those of Islamic faith (mostly if their beliefs are qualified as "extremist").  I think it is sad that this veil of intolerance still exists to the degree I have seen with the Obama e-mails. 

Also, didn't we learn our lesson from blind faith in the church of patriotism from our current leader.  Whoever has the most flag magnets on his or her car does not win us a war or favor in the middle east or make us better people.  In fact, I would think that many people with those magnets are so disconnected from the war, they couldn't tell you that we are still in Afghanistan.  Are we going to start kicking people out of baseball games for not holding their hands over their hearts or removing their caps?  It is definitely in poor taste not to do so, but to question a person's entire system of beliefs and integrity simply because they don't hold their hand over their heart one time is idiotic. 

The level of untruth and misinformation being distributed through e-mail now would make the North Koreans blush, but I guess that has been happening since the dawn of AOL.  If you don't know about it already, snopes.com is a great way to debunk any suspect chain e-mails you get.
So people who demonstrate patriotism are idiots and "disconnected from the war" --what a joke - the people that act the most unpatriotic are also the most patriotic too right?
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

NDTeve wrote: So people who demonstrate patriotism are idiots and "disconnected from the war" --what a joke - the people that act the most unpatriotic are also the most patriotic too right?
Not that there is anything wrong with it, but if you think slapping a magnet on your car is a demonstration of patriotism, your definition is different than mine.  I never alleged that flag-wavers are all "disconnected from the war" or wrong or bad, because many proudly display the colors for all the right reasons.  You just made that part up.  I choose to fly the flag, but that alone does not make me a patriot, and no number of stickers or decals or pins can prove anything.  Many Americans are disconnected from the war, flag-waving and not, and the fact that SOME also show some half-assed support, if any, for something they know nothing about should come as no real shock.  You are great at putting words into people's mouths.

The only people I called idiots are those who base an entire opinion of a candidate on the fact he didn't hold his hand over his heart once.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

bobbyhawks wrote: Not that there is anything wrong with it, but if you think slapping a magnet on your car is a demonstration of patriotism, your definition is different than mine.  I never alleged that flag-wavers are all "disconnected from the war" or wrong or bad, because many proudly display the colors for all the right reasons.  You just made that part up.  I choose to fly the flag, but that alone does not make me a patriot, and no number of stickers or decals or pins can prove anything.  Many Americans are disconnected from the war, flag-waving and not, and the fact that SOME also show some half-assed support, if any, for something they know nothing about should come as no real shock. 
Support our Troops!

KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Not that it means much of anything right now, but McCain's 22 point lead over Obama in Kansas has shrunk to 10. McCain's 6 point lead over Obama in Missouri has disappeared, and Obama has a slight lead. Things should be pretty fluid over the next few months. Dukakis and Kerry were both leading nationwide at this point, so June polls aren't predictive, but they are an interesting snapshot of where we are right now.

Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

KCMax wrote: Not that it means much of anything right now,

Things should be pretty fluid over the next few months. Dukakis and Kerry were both leading nationwide at this point, so June polls aren't predictive,

=D> =D> =D> =D>
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Obama up by double digits in Pennsylvania. He's also up in Ohio, Michigan, and for the first time, Florida.

AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

If he is up in those swing states, I'm sure he'll be up in Missouri too.
KC is the way to be!
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Now that it is down to Obama and McCain who should they select as running mates?

For the 'O' maybe it should be Sebelius or McCaskill?  Will he retain the women with these one of these?

For 'Mc' maybe it should be Lieberman?  Get the Jewish vote and maybe the religious conservative?
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
eliphar17
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by eliphar17 »

That "Obama is a Muslim" and "his middle name is Hussein!!!" crap is so sickening to me. It's not the racist undertones that get me mad, it's the fact that the Republicans happily condone such discussion, though without ever publicly saying so of course. They know that literally millions of votes will go their way in November just because of idiots who think Obama is a Muslim. They would be shooting themselves in the foot if they made any concerted effort to educate people in the name of fairness to Obama. Thank you Karl Rove for a Republican party that wants to get power at any cost.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Just my 2 cents...
aknowledgeableperson wrote: For the 'O' maybe it should be Sebelius or McCaskill?  Will he retain the women with these one of these?
Those are both great choices.  I think Obama would be wise to chose a woman because a lot of Hillary supporters are still bitter that she one the popular vote but didn't get the nomination.  That said, he would NOT be wise to pick Hillary.

Since Obama is about far Left as one can get, he may want to pick someone slightly less Liberal (but still on the Left).  Someone, perhaps, like Joe Lieberman (Not Lieberman, just someone like him).  That could help Obama get the Conservative vote since some/most Conservatives are not happy with John McCain.
aknowledgeableperson wrote: For 'Mc' maybe it should be Lieberman?  Get the Jewish vote and maybe the religious conservative?
Lieberman would be a BAD CHOICE for McCain, IMO.  Some Republicans are already not happy with McCain not being conservative enough.  I fail to see how a Democrat VP would help him.  He needs someone like the Gov. of Florida, Mitt Romney, or Mike Huckabee.

Again, just my thoughts!
KC is the way to be!
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

eliphar17 wrote: That "Obama is a Muslim" and "his middle name is Hussein!!!" crap is so sickening to me.  not the racist undertones that get me mad, it's the fact that the Republicans happily condone such discussion, though without ever publicly saying so of course.
His name is BARACK HUSSEIN OBAMA.  Calling him that has "racist undertones" in the first place?  As far as the GOP condoning that, you're probably right.  They have a White House to try a win.  If it hurts your enemy, it helps you.
eliphar17 wrote: They know that literally millions of votes will go their way in November just because of idiots who think Obama is a Muslim. They would be shooting themselves in the foot if they made any concerted effort to educate people in the name of fairness to Obama.
Again, you're probably right.  The GOP is trying to win an election.  So, why would the Republicans say, "He's not a Muslim"?  They don't have to say anything, and people will still think Obama is Muslim, like you pointed out.  Further, why would the GOP care about being FAIR to Obama?  Do you think Obama cares about being FAIR to McCain?  No!  Both parties are trying to win and and they WANT people to look at the other candidate negatively.  It's call Politics and it sucks.
eliphar17 wrote: Thank you Karl Rove for a Republican party that wants to get power at any cost.
LOL.  Yeah, 'cause I'm sure EVERY SINGLE DEMOCRAT has NEVER tried to lie, cheat, or steal to get in power, ONLY the Republicans.  All Republicans are evil.  Every single Democrat is so honest and full of grace that they only care about gaining power in a fair, honest way.  Sure.    Again, I'll say it's call Politics and it sucks.
KC is the way to be!
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Obama will pick someone with military bonafides - Virginia Senator Jim Webb or former NATO commander James Jones. Bill Richardson and Chris Dodd I think are long-shots.

McCain picks either Minnesota Gov Tim Pawlenty or Florida Gov Charlie Crist. My money's on Pawlenty, a popular, young figure for the Christian right.

Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

eliphar17 wrote: That "Obama is a Muslim" and "his middle name is Hussein!!!" crap is so sickening to me. It's not the racist undertones that get me mad, it's the fact that the Republicans happily condone such discussion, though without ever publicly saying so of course. They know that literally millions of votes will go their way in November just because of idiots who think Obama is a Muslim. They would be shooting themselves in the foot if they made any concerted effort to educate people in the name of fairness to Obama.

It's obv concerning the OBama camp too:  http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0608/11168.html

Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

AllThingsKC wrote: LOL.  Yeah, 'cause I'm sure EVERY SINGLE DEMOCRAT has NEVER tried to lie, cheat, or steal to get in power, ONLY the Republicans.  All Republicans are evil.   Every single Democrat is so honest and full of grace that they only care about gaining power in a fair, honest way.  Sure.    Again, I'll say it's call Politics and it sucks.

"They are evil, lying, cheating bastards who can only win by illegitimate methods!"

I didn't know Democrats were also MU TiggerFans?