Top 3 Movies You've Watched in the Past Month

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: Top 3 Movies You've Watched in the Past Month

Post by KC0KEK »

That guy's whole look is creepy, from the Dutch Boy haircut to the creased pants.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

For me No Country was one of those movies that I couldn't get out of my head for days. Toward the end when Tommy Lee Jones goes to that hermit's trailer made me want to fall asleep, but then I wish I had paid more attention...the entire story is an analgoy of TL Jones' character - the law enforcement officer always chasing an elusive criminal, and no matter how much the sheriff knows or learns about criminals throughout his career, crime will always exist one step ahead of the law.

Just saw Gone Baby Gone on DVD last weekend - another movie I can't shake. The Amy Adams drug whore mother character was riveting. Lots of supporting actors in this movie that are so unglamorous (the fat coke addict lady and her family, for instance) it's creepy.

Can't wait to see There Will Be Blood but just can't ever get in the mood to go yet.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

i went to screenland to watch the oscars last night. my ballot won the contest ($20 gift certificate from screenland) with 13 correct answers. they had rock band set up in the side room and $9 buckets of PBR/high life.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I thought I read somewhere that "There Will Be Blood" and "No Country For Old Men" both filmed within a few miles of each other at the same time in west Texas. I haven't seen either, but I'm really eager to see both.

Seems like we've had a lot of really good movies come out in the last year.

Anyone read Cormac McCarthy, the author of "No Country"? I've had lots of people recommend him to me, and I'm not a big fiction guy, but I'm intrigued enough to read him now. Thoughts on his work?
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

Beermo wrote: the rifle version you refer to would seem to be a shotgun with a silencer on it. if it was air it wouldn't need a silencer and it would not shoot projectiles unless it was an air actuated gun. a hand held gun that uses air to shoot a projectile would need more air than you could hold in the gun he uses in the film.  either way an air gun would not need a silencer.
At first, I assumed he was using a normal semi-automatic rifle with a silencer.   But there were never any shells left behind when he "went to work" so to speak.   Which made him so difficult to track (no ballistics etc).

Also, the scene with Woody's boss....no glass was shattered behind when XYZ happened.   so I assumed it was some sort of airgun.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

DaveKCMO wrote: i went to screenland to watch the oscars last night. my ballot won the contest ($20 gift certificate from screenland) with 13 correct answers. they had rock band set up in the side room and $9 buckets of PBR/high life.
You won with 13?  Did that include the documentaries and shorts?
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

KCMax wrote: Anyone read Cormac McCarthy, the author of "No Country"? I've had lots of people recommend him to me, and I'm not a big fiction guy, but I'm intrigued enough to read him now. Thoughts on his work?
I've read only "The Road," which is a good story. But the paucity of punctuation was maddening and distracting. I bet that this novel is made into a movie sooner rather than later.

If anyone has read and seen "No Country," I'd be interested in how the book compares to the movie.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

AJoD wrote: You won with 13?  Did that include the documentaries and shorts?
yes... and i guessed at all of those (except feature doc, which i got wrong). it was a small crowd.  :)
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

Interesting story behind the No Country haircut. Excerpt:

Stylist Proud of Bardem Film Haircut
Tuesday, February 26th, 2008 at 10:20am

DIEPPE, New Brunswick

Paul LeBlanc doesn't mind one bit that Javier Bardem calls his creation "one of the most horrible haircuts in history." In fact, the New Brunswick stylist is pretty proud.

"It's a very big day," LeBlanc said from his studio. "It reminds me of when I won in 1985 for `Amadeus.'" The stylist shared an Oscar for best makeup for his work on Milos Forman's movie about Mozart.

LeBlanc, who has been busy with the New Brunswick hair salon he opened a year ago, created the hairstyle for Bardem's character in "No Country for Old Men," drawing on the mop tops of the British warriors in the medieval Crusades as well as the haircuts of the 1960s for inspiration.

Bardem won the best supporting actor Oscar for his portrayal of Anton Chigurh in the Coen brothers' film. His haircut for the movie has been roundly mocked by comedians. Oscar telecast host Jon Stewart quipped Sunday night that Bardem's haircut combined "Hannibal Lecter's murderousness with Dorothy Hamill's wedge-cut."
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

No Country for Old Men = FAIL

Overrated.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
kuslamb
New York Life
New York Life

Post by kuslamb »

KCMax wrote: No Country for Old Men = FAIL

Overrated.
Agree.

Everyone that has HBO should be watcing 'Generation Kill' - It is great.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

KCMax wrote: No Country for Old Men = FAIL

Overrated.

You = FAIL
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Maitre D wrote:
You = FAIL
I agree, book and movie were incredible
NOLA
Pad site
Pad site

Post by NOLA »

Tell No One.  French.  At the Tivoli.
Cyclops
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Cyclops »

Wife and kids went and visited the in laws in Colorado for a week which meant I got to finally catch up on all the R rated films I never get to see anymore... (kids stay up later than me)

I thought "No Country for Old Men" was pretty unfulfilling. Ending was a big whatever for me... Get your Oscar and go.

I liked "Atonement". Cinematography was amazing. Another 5 minute steadicam move. Can't beat that.  :D  Story was OK.

LOVED "Batman, The Dark Knight". Shot in both IMAX and 35 (in case anyone cares). Heath Ledger was brilliant. What a loss.

That's three but I also saw "21" which was entertaining, and a gal who works for me insisted I watch "Pride and Prejudice" which was much better than I thought it would be and it also had a five minute steadicam shot that was really well choreographed.
the only thing for sure is change.
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

NOLA wrote: Tell No One.   French.  At the Tivoli.
Been meaning to go see this.  How was it?
NOLA
Pad site
Pad site

Post by NOLA »

It is excellent.  Certainly worth enduring the subtitles (which stop bothering you about 3 minutes into the movie).  Best movie I have seen all summer.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

NOLA wrote: It is excellent.  Certainly worth enduring the subtitles (which stop bothering you about 3 minutes into the movie).  Best movie I have seen all summer.
Not an elitist by any means, but subtitles really annoy me and I'll tell you why (because I know you care &).

Being a film maker by training and having worked professionally in production my first ten years out of school, I am very interested in what is on the screen; lighting, makeup, expressions, framing, blocking, camera moves, special effects, editing. When I have to read the movie I miss a lot of that. If it's a crap TV show and the kids are sleeping, not so annoying. But in a feature film I find it very frustrating. Inversely, a poorly dubbed film can be just as annoying.

I'm am not in the "If I wanted to read I would have paid attention in school" camp.
KCFutbol
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCFutbol »

The Visitor. Loved it.

Ironman. OK, but nothing special

Batman. OK, but nothing special
CrimsonInKC
Pad site
Pad site