Apple's new hardware

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: Apple's new hardware

Post by KCPowercat »

DaveKCMO wrote: while this radio issue is indefensible, other OEMs churn out far too many devices for anyone to keep up with such an issue in the same way. a once-yearly update to a single device gets far more scrutiny. we've handled a LOT of stinkers from HTC, samsung, and motorola over the years -- makes no difference which OS, android included -- so no reason to think they're somehow exempt from similar issues. for example, i challenge you to find any samsung moment or behold II user who's happy with their hardware... same price point as the iPhone.

regardless, we're waiting to upgrade our 3G until this is resolved.
True all devices have problems....I think what draws a lot of the ire is how iFanboys will defend these problems and even the CEO telling people to hold the device a different way....like you said, those other devices aren't defended like that by "fans" or the company itself.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

DaveKCMO wrote: while this radio issue is indefensible, other OEMs churn out far too many devices for anyone to keep up with such an issue in the same way. a once-yearly update to a single device gets far more scrutiny. we've handled a LOT of stinkers from HTC, samsung, and motorola over the years -- makes no difference which OS, android included -- so no reason to think they're somehow exempt from similar issues. for example, i challenge you to find any samsung moment or behold II user who's happy with their hardware... same price point as the iPhone.

regardless, we're waiting to upgrade our 3G until this is resolved.
True, true. I think the argument has been that Apple has consistently turned out product of a quality to deserve its hyped reputation, so this is a chink in the armor. For the first time in a long, Apple is fallible and can't PR this one away. They always did everything right or they didn't do anything at all. You might not get bleeding edge functionality but you got design and polish like nobody else. For a company with that reputation to have such a significant slip-up is a major event.

That said, I've always been happy with my HTC hardware. Before my last two phones, though, I had some crappy build quality from other brands. I think the bar is pretty high now, probably in large part to Apple raising it with the iPhone and everyone chasing them.

As an HTC Android user, I'm grateful for the competition and innovation that drove the market to create the device I use and enjoy.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Eight Inexpensive Things Repurposed for Something Awesome
Have an iPhone 4 with a weak signal? Don?t want to spend $29 on an iPhone bumper? Oliver Nelson at the iphoneguru  [via Lifehacker] noticed the bumpers looked quite a bit like his rubber bracelet.  It?s a bit tighter than a regular bumper, but it worked as a temporary fix.  He even cut a slit in the bracelet (about 1 1/8″ long and 1/8″ wide on the bracelet while unstretched) so it can stay on while the phone?s charging.  The bracelet he used cost 99 cents.  I had a free one thrown at my head from a parade float earlier this month, whether I wanted it or not.  These bracelets are everywhere; we may as well put them to use for something other than strangling seagulls at landfills. Not that I have a problem with that (a seagull killed my father).
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
cpt4599
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by cpt4599 »

I got one on launch day and have yet to be able to recreate the reception issue.  I think the media just likes a story and way over exagerated this. 
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I think its a bit more than media hype. Consumer reports and Apple giving away cases kinda proves that.

DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote: I think its a bit more than media hype. Consumer reports and Apple giving away cases kinda proves that.
one could argue that's simply the response to the media hype. unlike the blackberry storm, which was a complete disaster for RIM and verizon, there simply aren't customers returning the device in droves. if you no longer want it, you get your money back... pure and simple.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Consumer reports isn't a trusted organization for consumers?

trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

DaveKCMO wrote: one could argue that's simply the response to the media hype. unlike the blackberry storm, which was a complete disaster for RIM and verizon, there simply aren't customers returning the device in droves. if you no longer want it, you get your money back... pure and simple.
since when did Apple cult members users have to compare themselves to RIM garbage to feel better?
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

since when has Apple ever responded to complaints? Ever? Especially complaints that are just "media hype"?
You know, Dude, I myself dabbled in pacifism once. Not in 'Nam of course.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Verizon to start selling the IPad, fueling rumors they will soon ink an agreement to carry service for the iPhone.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_technews/ ... g-the-ipad
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
cityscape
New York Life
New York Life

Post by cityscape »

So, I recently overheard a conversation between two of my friends, one of who works for Sprint, and he said that Sprint is actually getting the iPhone in 2011 and it will be 4G compatible.  Apparently Apple wanted to have the iphone on a 4G platform and Verizon wasn't going to be ready in time so they went with Sprint.  Not sure if it is true or not, but would definitely give Sprint a big boost.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

cityscape wrote: So, I recently overheard a conversation between two of my friends, one of who works for Sprint, and he said that Sprint is actually getting the iPhone in 2011 and it will be 4G compatible.  Apparently Apple wanted to have the iphone on a 4G platform and Verizon wasn't going to be ready in time so they went with Sprint.  Not sure if it is true or not, but would definitely give Sprint a big boost.
no doubt it would give sprint a boost, but your friend is likely repeating internal gossip and not directly involved in any negotiation with apple. you'd be surprised how few people it takes -- all under NDAs, of course -- to verify a device on the network.

my prediction is that verizon will come first, then sprint might come later. as was the case with "3G", not all "4Gs" are the same and will probably require separate radios (which is why apple hasn't come out with a t-mobile iphone yet... their network is GSM like AT&T, but operates at a different frequency).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4G#4G_wireless_standards
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/mobile/11/ ... index.html

Christ could there be a more unholy alliance than Rupert Murdoch and Steve Jobs?  We're doomed. 

:x
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

TFA wrote: Media mogul Rupert Murdoch is developing a digital newspaper exclusively for the iPad and other electronic tablet devices, according to the Women's Wear Daily website.
That doesn't sound very exclusive.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11 ... s.html[url][/url]

The iPhone is evidently out to ruin another cell company.  I hope for the existing Verizon customers' sake that the added traffic isn't really noticeable, because if they have congestion problems after throttling down the heavy data users, they will get slammed in the media.
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

With the iPhone and Android, the problem isn't so much the amount of bandwidth that these devices use, but the amount of signaling traffic they generate.  A year or so ago, a single Android IM app generated so much signaling that it almost crashed T-Mobile's base station controllers around the country.  

Mainstream-media coverage rarely makes this distinction, but it's well known in the industry. Unfortunately there's not much that carriers can do about the efficiency of their customers' devices and third-party apps.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

bobbyhawks wrote: http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11 ... s.html[url][/url]

The iPhone is evidently out to ruin another cell company.  I hope for the existing Verizon customers' sake that the added traffic isn't really noticeable, because if they have congestion problems after throttling down the heavy data users, they will get slammed in the media.
This is one of the reasons our company left ATnT and went to Verizion. I would guess with all the Droid traffic on the network already the IPhone traffic shouldn't make that big of an impact, but I am expecting service outages.
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

shinatoo wrote: This is one of the reasons our company left ATnT and went to Verizion. I would guess with all the Droid traffic on the network already the IPhone traffic shouldn't make that big of an impact, but I am expecting service outages.
does the iphone draw/drain the system more, or does everyone want to look at youtube when they get one?
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

bbqboy wrote: does the iphone draw/drain the system more, or does everyone want to look at youtube when they get one?
There is something to the "I have a sweet phone so now I will use all of its features" thought process.  I am more referring to the fact that so many dissatisfied AT&T customers who are iPhone fanatics will all jump ship at once.  Verizon is built to slowly drain other companies of their customers, but no carrier is built to take in many millions in a matter of days who are all likely to be middle to above average users of data.  I wouldn't be shocked if AT&T service gets better after the shift.  The problem is that their reputation will take months to years to repair.  Sprint is still overcoming reputation issues from things they either resolved or made better years ago.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

bobbyhawks wrote: Same here.  Zero reason to buy an iPad.

However, the upcoming Notion Ink Adam could be filthy ridiculous.  Among many other superior features, it will have a dual mode screen that will be readable in sun and have an alternate E-reader screen setting.
Just thought that I would go out of my way to admit that I was wrong.  While the iPad has limitations, including some that are really freaking annoying, I now think it is the best tablet you can currently buy.  Not only the best tablet, but the best value.  I broke down and fell under the spell of the iPad 2, getting a 32GB wifi only model.  What I initially thought was just a big version of my iPod Touch, is now a near constant companion around the house.

I still love my Android phone (Evo) and don't think I would be as happy with an iPhone.  I've heard a lot, though, about how iOS 5 could be a big leap forward as far as voice integration and concierge-like services go, so it will be interesting to see how the Android market and its OS versions keep up.  I'm hoping that Google has some tricks in store and that those upgrades will hit my Evo this summer!