COVID19

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: COVID19

Post by flyingember »

phuqueue wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:11 pm I mean, kull seems to be whining about perceived shaming/fearmongering, which did happen last year around the Ozarks party, Sturgis, etc. That article is reporting an actual increase in cases immediately following Sturgis, and I wouldn't characterize that reporting as "hypocritical," since Provincetown was reported on the same way a few months ago. It's also not really right to compare mixed indoor/outdoor events that take place over a number of days, like Sturgis (or Provincetown), to fully outdoor activities that are one-off events, like a baseball or football game or concert, but kull has never really been one for arguing in good faith (see also how he expanded my list of fully outdoor events that are comparatively safe to also include "crowded bars," but it is not worthwhile to dwell on things like this with him).
Baseball isn't fully outdoors. The riskiest point at the stadiums would be the gift shops, hall of fame, etc and Kauffman has had mask requirements inside these spaces.

I bet Sturgis didn't spread Covid because of people going to an outside motorcycle event and wouldn't have if it was just that. Everyone needs to fill up their gas tank arriving in town and you go inside to buy cigarettes, drinks, snacks and all that stuff. So that's thousands of people all getting gas at the same few gas stations on the same few streets to the same town. Same for Lake of the Ozarks with boating. Your classic big party weekend isn't limited to people on boats, you get friends together and rent a room to share or take an RV for your extended family.

I saw an example on reddit of some business convention and someone flew there knowing they were sick, untested, and got multiple other people sick doing things indoors at it.
I saw another one of story of a group photo without masks, indoors. They had ten people in the photo test positive.

I run a youth program and we have an inside mask requirement. We just held a big outdoor program with zero masks. That pairing has been our rule since the mask mandate went back into effect.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/08/health/k ... index.html

1 in 500 children, 140,000, have lost a parent or grandparent who care for them
Minorities make up 2/3 of this group.

About 2/3 of black families have a single parent, about 40% Hispanic, about 25% white
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

#1 cause of death age 35-54 in September

https://abcnews.go.com/amp/Health/live- ... =true&s=09

In 2016 it was unintentional injuries, so car crashes, falling, accidental poisoning, work injuries and the like
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

And there's this.

COVID is leading cause of death among police officers
The pandemic has taken a devastating toll on police departments across the country. COVID-19 is now killing more law enforcement officers than any other threat they face in the line of duty — 716 officers have died since March 2020, according to the Fraternal Order of Police.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/covid-19-p ... use-death/
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Dying kinda sucks even if you disagree with the deceased's politics. The problem is less that they don't want it, and more the bullshit machines that are feeding this crap. We have gone from a society that refused to believe anything that appeared on the internet was true to one that believes everything that appears on the internet must be true. So I think we're probably just too dumb to survive. Which sucks, but I mean, c'est la vie. We made this bed, and now we must sleep in it.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Must be the lead water pipes and microplastics in our blood.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Found this statement on Reddit. Have no reason to believe it’s not true
We just looked at a house for our son with the seller names being a young boy and a girl Trust. The parents are deceased. Get vaccinated.
This is what I don’t understand, adults being so deep in the rabbit hole they don’t care about their children.

Hopefully for the children’s sake their deaths was before the vaccine and they had no chance.
Because to learn when they get older that they made a choice that led to their death won’t be taken well.
ericwyner
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ericwyner »

Goonies wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:23 am What's the word on Jackson co and KCMO extending the mask mandate IIRC KCMO has to vote on it every month?
in the JacksonCO legislature meeting on Monday, there's a resolution that would end it a week early and another that would extend it another 3 weeks, I think they would still need 2/3 votes to extend it, I think enforcement has been more lax lately and people aren't even bothering to report lax enforcement anyone, only a few complains on KCMO311

https://jacksonco.legistar.com/Legislat ... s=&Search=

https://jacksonco.legistar.com/Legislat ... FullText=1
Last edited by ericwyner on Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

NYC saw the police union claim 10,000 cops would walk out over the vaccine mandate

The local court upheld the requirement

The initial number: 34

ericwyner
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ericwyner »

Goonies wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:19 pm Good to see KC will be dropping the stupid mask mandate for those over 18
actually it's just for schools (including adults), but anyone outside of school can now go maskless and spread, and most schools already had their own mask policies
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

flyingember wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:20 am NYC saw the police union claim 10,000 cops would walk out over the vaccine mandate

Supposedly that stat is a little misleading, as 6500 cops still have pending applications for exemptions, so it remains to be seen how many might still walk out when their bullshit applications are inevitably rejected.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

phuqueue wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:21 pm
flyingember wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:20 am NYC saw the police union claim 10,000 cops would walk out over the vaccine mandate

Supposedly that stat is a little misleading, as 6500 cops still have pending applications for exemptions, so it remains to be seen how many might still walk out when their bullshit applications are inevitably rejected.
Most of them being submitted as religious exemptions, I’m interested to see if anyone has the gall to take up that fight, it’ll devolve into a 1st amendment constitutional fight for sure.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^There was a hospital in Arkansas that took an amusing approach for employees refusing vax that if your'e going to use the religious card based on stem cell research, then you are not allowed to take the couple dozen+ other common over counter drugs that came about due to stem cell research - most likely already do.

OTOH the White House is taking wrong approach with the 'mandate' terminology and could widely lose next mid-term and Pres spot due to approach. The White House should promote this as 'options', the option to take either vaccine or weekly testing. Not wise to use mandate term. If literally being required to shoot your body up with a drug with no options, that would imply the govt owns your body. But that' wasn't intent and easy to understand why the right and even indie moderates interpret it that way. The hardest pro-vaxrs would love to make it a true requirement with no options but Biden/WH are making a mistake not clearly making the optional distinction and are setting a path to lose the next two elections. And meanwhile based on WH 'mandate' term, many blue states/cities are making it a true mandate in some cases not understanding the Biden/WH intentions of 'options'. Generally, they are pushing it a bit too far with Fed employees, should be optional testing for existing Fed employees, required vax for newly hired is fine.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Why weekly testing? Why let someone infect for several days? No, daily.

Yes, they should go the option route, and make non-vaccinated have to do a daily, uncomfortable, nasal probe test. See how long it takes for people to make the judgement that the daily nasal probe option is worse than just getting a shot in the arm.

I think it's interesting all these anti-vax people are worried about "what they are putting into their body" when the vast majority take in a daily diet of preservatives, chemicals, toxins, processed fats, and unhealthy natural fats and salt in general, and some--probably cigarettes and alcohol that are likely causing more damage to them than any vaccine.

Not to mention that most Americans are carrying around microplastics in their blood and body tissue that equal the size of a credit card. No outrage about that!
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:03 pm
phuqueue wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:21 pm

Most of them being submitted as religious exemptions, I’m interested to see if anyone has the gall to take up that fight, it’ll devolve into a 1st amendment constitutional fight for sure.
Those cops look like big babies when contrasted against little 6-year old girls bravely getting shots on TV.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

earthling wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:15 pm ^There was a hospital in Arkansas that took an amusing approach for employees refusing vax that if your'e going to use the religious card based on stem cell research, then you are not allowed to take the couple dozen+ other common over counter drugs that came about due to stem cell research - most likely already do.

OTOH the White House is taking wrong approach with the 'mandate' terminology and could widely lose next mid-term and Pres spot due to approach. The White House should promote this as 'options', the option to take either vaccine or weekly testing. Not wise to use mandate term. If literally being required to shoot your body up with a drug with no options, that would imply the govt owns your body. But that' wasn't intent and easy to understand why the right and even indie moderates interpret it that way. The hardest pro-vaxrs would love to make it a true requirement with no options but Biden/WH are making a mistake not clearly making the optional distinction and are setting a path to lose the next two elections. And meanwhile based on WH 'mandate' term, many blue states/cities are making it a true mandate in some cases not understanding the Biden/WH intentions of 'options'. Generally, they are pushing it a bit too far with Fed employees, should be optional testing for existing Fed employees, required vax for newly hired is fine.
This all the way. They are 100% shooting themselves in the foot for the future. Had the messaging been clear from the start that it wasn’t a true “mandate” in the simplest of terms I sincerely doubt you’d see such hostile resistance to this. I like to keep my self fairly independent as I support stances from both sides, but I did have concern with the messaging and approach the current administration made here.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:43 pm
earthling wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:15 pm ^There was a hospital in Arkansas that took an amusing approach for employees refusing vax that if your'e going to use the religious card based on stem cell research, then you are not allowed to take the couple dozen+ other common over counter drugs that came about due to stem cell research - most likely already do.

This all the way. They are 100% shooting themselves in the foot for the future. Had the messaging been clear from the start that it wasn’t a true “mandate” in the simplest of terms I sincerely doubt you’d see such hostile resistance to this. I like to keep my self fairly independent as I support stances from both sides, but I did have concern with the messaging and approach the current administration made here.
It is a vaccine or test situation.

https://thehill.com/business-a-lobbying ... ne-or-test

or is it just the word mandate that is the problem?
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

grovester wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:20 pm
Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:43 pm

It is a vaccine or test situation.

https://thehill.com/business-a-lobbying ... ne-or-test

or is it just the word mandate that is the problem?
The messaging used by the administration. Coming out with the word “mandate” is not something that usually has people flocking to you, especially in the US. I think it’s a perfectly acceptable system, test or shot. I don’t think it was presented well. It also directly conflicted with the administrations previous statements, as well as their statements on masking mandates nationally. I am the first one to advocate that science is an ever evolving situation, that is incredibly difficult to solidly present 100% of the time, but the direct contradiction to previous statements and promises definitely win you no favors in an already suspicious crowd. That’s just my 2¢ though.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I agree that mandate is a word that raises people's hackles. The Democrats are notoriously bad at messaging.

"Defund the Police" will go down as one of the biggest messaging failures in American history. Although I don't necessarily think that came from the Democratic National Committee. :lol: