Page 1 of 1

Freight House Building

Posted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:22 pm
by KCMax
I was wondering what the history of the Freighthouse Building was and how was it refurbished? All private developers? All public money? Public subsidies? When was it refurbished?

It also seems to me like its quite successful, an often overlooked charming little area in a magnificent building with some great tenants (not a fan of City Tavern, but I love Lidia's and Fiorella's is great). Is it considered pretty successful? I don't think I've ever been to any of those places where it hasn't been pretty full.

Has the pedestrian walkway helped at all? Can this building be better integrated with Crown Center to the south and the Crossroads to the north?

Thoughts on the Freight House?

Re: Freight House Building

Posted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:38 pm
by zonk
It's a Tax Increment Financing (TIF) project completed in early 2000's.  I think the developer is Dan Clothier out of Wichita...but not sure.

It's kind of funny everyone always bashes public incentives, but if you remember those warehouses prior to redevelopment, you'd understand that without incentives, the redevelopment wouldn't have happened.

Re: Freight House Building

Posted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:47 pm
by kcdcchef
zonk wrote: It's a Tax Increment Financing (TIF) project completed in early 2000's.   I think the developer is Dan Clothier out of Wichita...but not sure.

It's kind of funny everyone always bashes public incentives, but if you remember those warehouses prior to redevelopment, you'd understand that without incentives, the redevelopment wouldn't have happened.
i remember watching flames like 40 feet high bellow from a part of the freighthouses as the chef of skies in 1995, we were all standing there watching it. and to think they redid it that well, wow.

Re: Freight House Building

Posted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:16 am
by Jess
I was there tonight for my birthday (Fiorella's), thus marking the first time I've been there since I moved to Kansas City.  Neat building.  My hometown has a fairly historic freighthouse that was refurbished in the past couple of years and has housed a few decent restaurants.  I do know the local historical society got some historic preservation money to do the renovations, but they were pretty strictly monitored.

Re: Freight House Building

Posted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:11 pm
by DaveKCMO
if incentives were only used to restore historic structures we wouldn't be having much of a debate.

Re: Freight House Building

Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:37 am
by loftguy
DaveKCMO wrote: if incentives were only used to restore historic structures we wouldn't be having much of a debate.
We would (do) have a lot more parking lots, though.

Re: Freight House Building

Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:03 am
by langosta
Does anyone remember the hotel that was proposed alongside the freight house redevelopment? Renderings and other details would be appreciated.

The developer of the historic Freight House building, home of three upscale restaurants, wants to complete his original plan by building a 21-story hotel and garage nearby." The 120-year-old Freight House was renovated 10 years ago and is located at 101 W. 22nd Street in the Crossroads Arts District. Located in the building now is Lidia's Kansas City, Fiorella's Jack Stack Barbecue, and City Tavern. The proposed hotel would be built east of the Freight House and face the Main Street viaduct. The hotel would be 18 stories tall and have 200 hotel rooms.
https://kchistory.org/islandora/object/ ... ry%3A63972

Re: Freight House Building

Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:21 am
by Chris Stritzel
langosta wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:03 am
Does anyone remember the hotel that was proposed alongside the freight house redevelopment? Renderings and other details would be appreciated.

The developer of the historic Freight House building, home of three upscale restaurants, wants to complete his original plan by building a 21-story hotel and garage nearby." The 120-year-old Freight House was renovated 10 years ago and is located at 101 W. 22nd Street in the Crossroads Arts District. Located in the building now is Lidia's Kansas City, Fiorella's Jack Stack Barbecue, and City Tavern. The proposed hotel would be built east of the Freight House and face the Main Street viaduct. The hotel would be 18 stories tall and have 200 hotel rooms.
https://kchistory.org/islandora/object/ ... ry%3A63972
Sounds pretty similar to the modern day “Podium” project, which also includes a hotel component but with offices as well.

Re: Freight House Building

Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:16 pm
by DaveKCMO
The podium is on the opposite (east) side of the Main Street viaduct from the (west) Freight House hotel proposal -- which is dead, as far as I know, since the parking lot became a condominium association split between the three restaurants.

Re: Freight House Building

Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:49 pm
by langosta
DaveKCMO wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:16 pm
The podium is on the opposite (east) side of the Main Street viaduct from the (west) Freight House hotel proposal -- which is dead, as far as I know, since the parking lot became a condominium association split between the three restaurants.
Were renderings ever put out for the 21 floor proposal from 2007?

Re: Freight House Building

Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:05 am
by DaveKCMO
langosta wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:49 pm
DaveKCMO wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:16 pm
The podium is on the opposite (east) side of the Main Street viaduct from the (west) Freight House hotel proposal -- which is dead, as far as I know, since the parking lot became a condominium association split between the three restaurants.
Were renderings ever put out for the 21 floor proposal from 2007?
The only thing I could find in my email was this:
COMMUNITY MEETING ABOUT NEW 18 STORY HOTEL PROPOSAL AT 21st AND MAIN

When: Wed., Sept. 26th, 5:00 PM
Where: City Tavern in the Freight House at 101 W. 22nd Street

The Infrastructure Committee of the Crossroads Community Association is convening a community meeting to learn about a substantial new development proposal. Lidia's Freight House LLC is proposing to build an 18 story hotel on the west side of the Main Street viaduct next to Lidia's. Dan Clothier will be speaking about this project which will be going to the City Plan Commission for rezoning approval and to the TIF Commission for incentives.
You might try checking CPC or TIF records from around then.

Google found this:

https://www.hotel-online.com/News/PR200 ... eight.html

Re: Freight House Building

Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:20 pm
by langosta
DaveKCMO wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:05 am
langosta wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:49 pm
DaveKCMO wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:16 pm
The podium is on the opposite (east) side of the Main Street viaduct from the (west) Freight House hotel proposal -- which is dead, as far as I know, since the parking lot became a condominium association split between the three restaurants.
Were renderings ever put out for the 21 floor proposal from 2007?
The only thing I could find in my email was this:
COMMUNITY MEETING ABOUT NEW 18 STORY HOTEL PROPOSAL AT 21st AND MAIN

When: Wed., Sept. 26th, 5:00 PM
Where: City Tavern in the Freight House at 101 W. 22nd Street

The Infrastructure Committee of the Crossroads Community Association is convening a community meeting to learn about a substantial new development proposal. Lidia's Freight House LLC is proposing to build an 18 story hotel on the west side of the Main Street viaduct next to Lidia's. Dan Clothier will be speaking about this project which will be going to the City Plan Commission for rezoning approval and to the TIF Commission for incentives.
You might try checking CPC or TIF records from around then.

Google found this:

https://www.hotel-online.com/News/PR200 ... eight.html
Thanks for sharing these! Sounds like forming the Freight House condominium was a part of the hotel project. Hopefully someone can back in and get this built one day

Re: Freight House Building

Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:51 pm
by DaveKCMO
New construction there is certainly more viable now than in 2007. As for it being a hotel, not so much.