midnight construction/noise ordinance

Have a development question you want answered? Ask it here and you'll get your answer
drumatix
New York Life
New York Life

midnight construction/noise ordinance

Post by drumatix »

Are there construction permits available in Kansas City that trump our noise ordinance? How about sandblasting between the hours of 9PM and 5AM, with open windows, only a few feet away from residential units? It's incredibly loud.

The KCMO police advise that this construction is legal as permits are in place, but something doesn't seem right here.

My friend wants to know & is losing a lot of sleep. Figured someone on here might know.

(Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere, although I didn't find anything in a few minutes of searching.)
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: midnight construction/noise ordinance

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Does your friend live in the Freighthouse District by any chance?  The McGowan Walsh projects and the Awesome Lofts project have all been employing round the clock crews on and off all summer.  Fortunately our windows face the other direction, so I only hear it if I go outside. 
Last edited by LenexatoKCMO on Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drumatix
New York Life
New York Life

Post by drumatix »

Yep - her windows directly face the open windows of one of those projects, complete with dust, debris, and 130db pouring out all night long.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

It does wonders for the clean cars parked below too!  I am much more frustrated about the ridiculusly slow progress on the street construction in the neighborhood.  At this rate they will finish the final phase in 2015.  Whomever the city gave that contract to seems to only work one day a week.
anniewarbucks
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by anniewarbucks »

Close your windows and turn on your AC. That is the only way to fight it. With cities going to night constructoin more and more to make the lowest impact on traffic there is a little trade off that the residents have to face.
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant- free message.
However, a significant number of electrons have been inconvenienced.
drumatix
New York Life
New York Life

Post by drumatix »

Unfortunately there is no AC so the windows must remain open, dust, noise and all. This isn't a city project but a private developer. Surprised that noise ordinances don't prevent this type of thing. Thanks for the responses!
anniewarbucks
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by anniewarbucks »

If it is a private project then they should follow the cities noise ordinances. I know that here in Topeka anything after 10 p.m. is considered noise polution. I would be complaining to your city council person about this.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Makes me wonder about the Folger's factory on Broadway. That's noisy at all times of the night.
artistboy
Pad site
Pad site

Post by artistboy »

bahua wrote: Makes me wonder about the Folger's factory on Broadway. That's noisy at all times of the night.
Yeah, it's quite loud around the Folger's plant at all hours. I've wondered how the Coffee Lofts and 700 Broadway units facing it deal with the noise.

I've noticed the sandblasting late at night when driving past Broadway by the bridge just before crossing by Union Station. I was surprised they worked all night. How far along are they? So what's the news on working late and having or not having permits?
INGREDIENTS: COFFEE, BEER, AND ILL WILL.
Mfd. by KCMO © 1975
Steve52
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Steve52 »

City Life. Isn't it wonderful?
anniewarbucks
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by anniewarbucks »

Yea you have to put up with every little noise that comes up.
Long
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Long »

artistboy wrote: Yeah, it's quite loud around the Folger's plant at all hours. I've wondered how the Coffee Lofts and 700 Broadway units facing it deal with the noise.

I've noticed the sandblasting late at night when driving past Broadway by the bridge just before crossing by Union Station. I was surprised they worked all night. How far along are they? So what's the news on working late and having or not having permits?
I used to live at 700 Broadway back when it was a rental - the Folgers plant is just kind of a constant white noise.  There's a big difference between that and construction noise.
anniewarbucks
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by anniewarbucks »

Boy I cold live with that type of noise. Just go out and buy me a set of Earplugs and I am all set. It would be a lot better than living where I am now with my hosts apartment resembling a dump and her waking me up at all hours of the night with her constant banging of dishes. I am thinking If Spangles Builds a restaurant in KC I might move there. Is there any apartment buildings within earshot of the folgers plant?
drumatix
New York Life
New York Life

Post by drumatix »

artistboy wrote: I've noticed the sandblasting late at night when driving past Broadway by the bridge just before crossing by Union Station. I was surprised they worked all night. How far along are they? So what's the news on working late and having or not having permits?
The same crews were out with some gigantic cement saws, but this time they seemed to observe the noise ordinance rather than work all night, probably since they were outside & within the earshot of more than just their neighbors. Work stopped right at 10PM and started precisely at 6AM.
drumatix
New York Life
New York Life

Post by drumatix »

I almost forgot...

The police actually agreed that that noise ordinance was being violated and that the sandblasting shouldn't have been happening in the middle of the night so closse to residences. They went & banged on the doors of the building on a few instances to try & talk with the work crew, who of course couldn't hear the banging over the sandblasting (heh). They eventually gave up. I'm sure it could've been taken further, with someone actually contacting the building's owners, but it never happened.