soho lofts work?

Have a development question you want answered? Ask it here and you'll get your answer
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

soho lofts work?

Post by DaveKCMO »

on my walk this morning i noticed a crew cutting through the north facade on the top floor of the larger soho lofts building on walnut. are they adding balconies to take advantage of views of SC/P+L? anyone?
artistboy
Pad site
Pad site

Re: soho lofts work?

Post by artistboy »

DaveKCMO wrote: on my walk this morning i noticed a crew cutting through the north facade on the top floor of the larger soho lofts building on walnut. are they adding balconies to take advantage of views of SC/P+L? anyone?
I have friends on the top floor, North side of the larger red brick building... nothing has been said of balconies. Note: There is a stair well in the middle of the north side of that building I think, if it's related to that maybe?

MRP is selling units in the yellow brick building on the NE corner of Walnut & 16th (across from JP Wine Bar). Are you speaking of that building instead?
INGREDIENTS: COFFEE, BEER, AND ILL WILL.
Mfd. by KCMO © 1975
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

artistboy wrote: MRP is selling units in the yellow brick building on the NE corner of Walnut & 16th (across from JP Wine Bar). Are you speaking of that building instead?
yes. so that building is going condo?
artistboy
Pad site
Pad site

Post by artistboy »

DaveKCMO wrote: yes. so that building is going condo?
Yes. They call it the Campbell building. I first saw info at new sales office on 10th & Wyandotte about a month ago.

"This proximate residential condominium development is Campbell , now underway in the historic Campbell Paint and Glass Building, at 1535 Walnut. A Kansas City landmark, this building was designed and built during World War I by J.C. Sunderland, who also designed Kansas City's Masonic Temple and Coffee Lofts.

57 units range in size from 780 to 1,380 square feet and range in price from $170,000 to $395,000.  Unit features included: soaring concrete ceilings, private balconies, panoramic views, washer/dryer hookups, designer hardwood cabinetry, and a 1 year developer warranty."
Mfd. by KCMO © 1975
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

awesome! any idea when they will be ready for move in or if they are actually for sale yet?
artistboy
Pad site
Pad site

Post by artistboy »

I think a few units were already reserved as of last month. There's really not much about it online. MRP lets the renters have first take, and then they go public with sales. I haven't been in that building but those balconies should have great views I imagine.
They had HOA's, amenities, and what not at the office. Not sure how that will all work being connected to the rental building to the South. Parking... wouldn't that just be on the street/lot for that place?
Mfd. by KCMO © 1975
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

i had a look at these this week. the views from 5th floor and up on the north side are amazing. they won't show on MLS until next month. some of the units on lower floors will be two-story instead of having balconies.
thesnowman21
Pad site
Pad site

Post by thesnowman21 »

I live in the Campbell paints lofts and we have reserved to buy ours. On the seventh floor they have knocked two units into one (this is the one with the huge balcony), they all have new lightening (with remote control on/off switches and remote control fans), polished concrete floors, granite counter tops. They were suppose to be putting in stainless steel appliances, but there is no sign of that yet. Inside they are also building a gym (so we don't have to cross the road to the EBT building) and a new lobby. Unfortunately the one we are buying is on the ground floor, as that is the one that we can afford. The same unit on the 6th floor is $100k more. They are also installing a barrier on the parking so that only the residents can get in, hopefully this will stop all the JP customers parking in there. They are also redecorating all the floors by painting, putting in new lightening and new trims.

It is frustrating living in a building site, but I cant wait to see what it is all like when they are finished.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

i would have bought there on the 5th floor facing north, but the textured walls would have cost a bit to redo (on top of the $360K asking price). would love to hear future updates once things start coming online.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

all the balconies are up:

artistboy
Pad site
Pad site

Post by artistboy »

HOLY CRAP! That 6th floor balcony is BIG!
Has anyone taken notice that the balconies just attached to the Fountains on Broadway are very large also? I was shown the empty space a year ago and told about balconies, but I didn't think they would carry through with actually putting them up because so many balconies and rooftop party decks never happen (Western Auto, 21 W. 10th, etc...) but it seams MRP is following through with this feature on their buildings. I like the dark paint contrast to the brick and concrete.
Mfd. by KCMO © 1975
anniewarbucks
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by anniewarbucks »

The balconies look great. The only question is what kind of chairs can you set on them. They look like a dowled type of leg would just go through the mettle floor. they look similar to the old fashion fire escapes on a school.
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant- free message.
However, a significant number of electrons have been inconvenienced.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

they're probaly using that synthetic or engineered decking material that i have on my balcony. any chair will work fine and not get stuck in the cracks.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Housing with balconies and views are more marketable.  One Park Place might be selling better if it had open balconies.
There is no fifth destination.
artistboy
Pad site
Pad site

Post by artistboy »

DaveKCMO wrote: they're probably using that synthetic or engineered decking material that i have on my balcony. any chair will work fine and not get stuck in the cracks.
I'm pretty sure it's the thin metal slit-like balcony floor... just like what they're putting up at the Fountains. There's about 3/4 inch opening between the metal... think of the old fire escapes of years past.
Mfd. by KCMO © 1975
parrothead
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by parrothead »

I work for MRP and I would like provide you all with some more info on two of our current projects: Campbell and Fountains Lofts.

Campbell-
As you can see from this photo posted by Dave, we have completed the installation of the balconies on the north façade.  These will offer some spectacular views of the Sprint Center, P&L and the Performing Arts Center.  At this time we have reservations on all one bedroom units with balconies on the north side.  We will be finishing off the installation of the balconies on the east side of the building this week.  Campbell will offer some of the most affordable one bedroom lofts with balconies in the city.  These units will start at $170k.  The decking material used for these balconies is a little different than what we chose for Fountains.  The floor is made of solid steel sheets with small perforations in it.  This surface not only provides good traction but eliminates the sense of vertigo and keeps ladies heels from getting stuck.  Campbell is also being upgraded internally to meet the standards of all MRP’s condo projects.  We are adding a fitness center and enhancing the ambiance of the lobby and common areas.  We anticipate completing the construction phase of this project by the end of October.

Fountains Lofts-
We are all very excited about this project.  Countless hours of design and twenty years of experience have gone into this structure culminating in what we feel is the best building we have ever built.  And we are almost done.  We are anticipating an October 31st move in date for our new residents.  They balconies are in and the views are spectacular all around.  Inside the units came out great, the gas ranges and fireplace offer something special that is hard to find elsewhere.  We are going to break ground on the new garage for this project very soon (one covered space is included with each loft), so if you see work being done on the corner of 7th and Bank, you are officially in the know. 

Parrothead
artistboy
Pad site
Pad site

Post by artistboy »

parrothead wrote: I work for MRP and I would like provide you all with some more info on two of our current projects: Campbell and Fountains Lofts.

The decking material used for these balconies is a little different than what we chose for Fountains.  The floor is made of solid steel sheets with small perforations in it.

We are going to break ground on the new garage for this project very soon (one covered space is included with each loft), so if you see work being done on the corner of 7th and Bank, you are officially in the know. 

Parrothead
So which deck material do you prefer and why does each building use a different material? The perforated material does sound like a good idea especially considering shoes and vertigo. Good work.
A few questions: How soon till the construction of the parking garage on 7th? Isn't it a month behind schedule? I think the Fountains will be very nice and the balconies look great. Why isn't the building next door (700 Broadway) brought up "to meet the standards of all MRP’s condo projects" when compared to Campbell and Fountains lofts? It looks like it needs some attention compared to the other MRP properties. Just curious.
Mfd. by KCMO © 1975
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The question I have is where there are an future  plans to build new buildings along Washington between 7th and 8th?
There is no fifth destination.
parrothead
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by parrothead »

I really don’t have a preference of one versus the other because I don’t get vertigo nor do I have to worry about my heels.  The reasoning for using one over the other has to do with the historical requirements established by the state for each project.  There were more stringent requirements for Fountains, which dictated that we used the more period looking 1/2” steel slat flooring.

The bank street garage will be completed as soon as possible, of course with any new construction project there are bound to be set backs.  In this business a month out does not get us too excited. 

700 Broadway was completely renovated in 2004-2005; it’s price point is much lower than that of Fountains or Campbell.  Condos at 700 Broadway start at $119k.  We are in the final closeout stages of this project.   

My firm does not own the land along Washington between 7th and 8th. 
artistboy
Pad site
Pad site

Post by artistboy »

parrothead wrote: I really don’t have a preference of one versus the other because I don’t get vertigo nor do I have to worry about my heels.  The reasoning for using one over the other has to do with the historical requirements established by the state for each project.  There were more stringent requirements for Fountains, which dictated that we used the more period looking 1/2” steel slat flooring.

The bank street garage will be completed as soon as possible, of course with any new construction project there are bound to be set backs.  In this business a month out does not get us too excited. 

700 Broadway was completely renovated in 2004-2005; it’s price point is much lower than that of Fountains or Campbell.  Condos at 700 Broadway start at $119k.  We are in the final closeout stages of this project.     

My firm does not own the land along Washington between 7th and 8th. 
Isn't that parking lot area... some of it for the apartments where Embassy Properties has the leasing office? Are the spaces leased and not owned by MRP?
Good to see balconies are being incorporated in renovations/conversions now. I think they add so much and wish more buildings had them. Why is MRP only now starting to put them on loft projects? Atriums East is a great example where there's a ton of blank brick wall space on the South side, perfect area for balconies... or is that going against historical requirements?
Mfd. by KCMO © 1975