building just south of 17th and Summit.

Have a development question you want answered? Ask it here and you'll get your answer
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

building just south of 17th and Summit.

Post by chrizow »

i've noticed some work being done in the old building on the east side of Summit just south of 17th (e.g. across from Bluebird).  it used to be an antique mall or something, and obviously it was one or more things prior to that (a church or theatre?).

soo...what's up with this?  i did a search on this forum but didn't come up with anything.  is this where the rumored italian restaurant is supposed to be opening?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: building just south of 17th and Summit.

Post by DaveKCMO »

chrizow wrote: i've noticed some work being done in the old building on the east side of Summit just south of 17th (e.g. across from Bluebird).  it used to be an antique mall or something, and obviously it was one or more things prior to that (a church or theatre?).

soo...what's up with this?  i did a search on this forum but didn't come up with anything.  is this where the rumored italian restaurant is supposed to be opening?
2nd building on the SE corner? looks like a residential project, doesn't it?
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

DaveKCMO wrote: 2nd building on the SE corner? looks like a residential project, doesn't it?
yeah that building...residential?  really?  it doesn't look like it should be? 

do some of your sleuth-work!
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

Isn't that the one that some upscale Italian restaurant is going into that was briefly mentioned on the forum a while back?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

anyone got an address?
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

170(x) Summit.  :)
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

Parcel Info:

1715 SUMMIT ST
Parcel PIN (City Number): 123514
Parcel APN (County Number): JA29410040300000000
Owner Info:
ACT INVESTMENTS LLC
% ANTHONY TRAKAS
412 NW MOCK AVE
BLUE SPRINGS, MO 64015-
Council District: 4
School District: KANSAS CITY MISSOURI 110
1990 Census Neighborhood: Westside North
Bulky item day (month): 1st (every)
Trash day: Monday
Subdivision: MERRIAM PLACE
Assessed Land Value: 3437
Assessed Improvement Value: 29820
Zoning: C1, R4

Legal Description: 1715 SUMMIT/S 10 FT LOT 2 ALL LOT 3 N 17 FT LOT 4 BLK 1 MERRIAM PLACE 

Related Permits, from Kiva-

http://kivaweb.kcmo.org/kivanet/2/permi ... 9&jur=KCMO
Scope of Work:  Construct top story building addition & change of occupancy per plans reviewed for code compliance.
Summary of various Permits pulled in relation to this building construction.

http://kivaweb.kcmo.org/kivanet/2/proje ... 2&jur=KCMO

Property info from Jackson County for 1715 Summit.

Property Description
MERRIAM PLACE S 10' LOT 2 & ALL LOT 3 & N 17' LOT 4 BLK 1 
Last Sale Price 465,000.00
Last Sale Date 05/03/2005

Assessed at 107,565 in 2006. 

Tax Receipts
Date                Receipt No.  Amount Applied      Amount Due  Tendered  Change
02/07/2007 12:45 4608102        3,244.05                3,358.56    3,244.05    0.00

Uhoh!  they are short 114 dollars!
Last edited by voltopt on Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Anthony Trakas appears to be a Blue Springs dentist.

There is an Anthony Trakas developing a downtown condo in Phoenix, but I don't think its the same guy.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

chrizow wrote: 170(x) Summit.   :)
1715 summit must be it. i worked my way up from 1701 (since blue bird is 1700) until i found something active. it used to be old world antiques. i found one google article that says it was the summit theater. kiva says it's zoned C1, which is "Neighborhood retail business district", or more accurately:
District C-1 is intended to permit development and continuance of small-scale commercial areas, designed to serve either adjacent residential neighborhoods; or larger trade areas with small-size specialty shops and services such as antique shops, boutiques, travel services and other related activities. Major commercial or service establishments with large floor areas (over 5,000 square feet) or large parking lots for drive-up services are better located in more intensive commercial districts.
the only thing i could glean from the active permits was: "Construct top story building addition & change of occupancy per plans reviewed for code compliance."

so... i called the owner. he said: first floor commercial (probably restaurant or gallery), second and third floor will be lofts (C1 allows a residential component).

it's that easy, kids!
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

DaveKCMO wrote:
so... i called the owner. he said: first floor commercial (probably restaurant or gallery), second and third floor will be lofts (C1 allows a residential component).

it's that easy, kids!
youre my hero!
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

that's interesting... i didn't see R4 in my search on kiva!
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Very cool. Thanks Dave!
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

I was under the impression that a couple of years ago the Westside neighborhood pushed through a downgrading of neighborhood zoning to eliminate multifamily developments.

Was that something that eliminated only condominium projects?  Or, was this Summit Theater project somehow grandfathered?

Details, or good guesses, anyone?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

loftguy wrote: I was under the impression that a couple of years ago the Westside neighborhood pushed through a downgrading of neighborhood zoning to eliminate multifamily developments.

Was that something that eliminated only condominium projects?  Or, was this Summit Theater project somehow grandfathered?

Details, or good guesses, anyone?

if i had to guess it probably came down to zoning codes, which would affect how much of a parcel could be residential. the building is not that big, and is being reused. they were probably opposed to developments like summit at 16th and the broadway versus smaller stuff.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

DaveKCMO wrote:
if i had to guess it probably came down to zoning codes, which would affect how much of a parcel could be residential. the building is not that big, and is being reused. they were probably opposed to developments like summit at 16th and the broadway versus smaller stuff.
16th & Summit was the catalyst for the community uprising, but I thought the downzoning encompassed any new development, including existing structures.................?
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

http://www.kcmo.org/planning.nsf/plnpre ... endocument

This is the WestSide Area Plan.  I'm looking for the adopted changes.
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

community uprising
That's a funny turn of phrase.  I am really turned off by the more vocal westside denizens and their petty neighborhood association's position on these matters.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The Summit Theater opened in 1937 and seated 622. It closed in 1958.

http://cinematreasures.org/theater/9254/
There is no fifth destination.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

chingon wrote: That's a funny turn of phrase.  I am really turned off by the more vocal westside denizens and their petty neighborhood association's position on these matters.
I agree.

There are just a few people who own a good portion of the Westside.  They insist on keeping the area a quiet, residential neighborhood.  I can understand the sentiment, but they're sandbagging any progress for the area.  Being adjacent to downtown and the crossroads, it seems unreasonable to try to maintain the status quo.  I'm curious to see the effect of the PAC and condo tower on the region.
artistboy
Pad site
Pad site

Post by artistboy »

The project started when I still lived over there. On the South East corner area it's a condo project (good!), and yes, it pisses the "voices" of the neighborhood off... they hate change. Any change. They want all the benefits of getting stuff from the city but don't want any one different moving into the neighborhood. Off the North East corner just north of Los Alamos market they have been working on and off to put in an Italian restaraunt... and people bitched about that too. God forbid any one new move into the area, and set up shop in an unused building and provide a service to the comunity... or, gasp! fix it up!

After a few years in the West Side, I got sick of the nimby's and moved out... not to say I don't still have friends there or like many aspects of the neighborhood, I just got sick of all the bitching about gentrification (i.e. me) or improvements (i.e. renovation and infill). They've pushed for down-zoning so that it's exceptionally difficult for the neighborhood to progress further with the rest of the greater down town area. Too bad.
INGREDIENTS: COFFEE, BEER, AND ILL WILL.
Mfd. by KCMO © 1975