Recycling for Multi-Unit Dwellings

New to downtown life? Have questions? Urban living expert, come share your thoughts.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Recycling for Multi-Unit Dwellings

Post by DaveKCMO »

i'm currently trying to find a recycling solution for my 23-unit condo building downtown. the city does not include multi-unit dwellings in their city-funded curbside program, and manually dropping off group recyclables at the city's 48th and Forest facility is not entirely practical (although i do this for myself for the time being). in speaking with Bridging the Gap, they provided some interesting history on this dilemma: the 1% earnings tax designed to improve city services is paying for the recycling program. those who live in smaller apartment buildings and condos and those who run small business are excluded. as a by-product, apartment landlords get a "kick-back" from the city instead of funding this service for their tenants.

has anyone else heard of this? are DNA and CCA on the case?
KCLofts
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: Recycling for Multi-Unit Dwellings

Post by KCLofts »

The "kickback" is probably part of the trash rebate that your homes association is getting.  The city pays this in return for you having to hire a garbage collector.

I believe there is a pilot recycling program going on at the Metropolitan, although haven't been able to get any details.

It would be great if this would be exteneded to other buildings.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

KCLofts wrote: The "kickback" is probably part of the trash rebate that your homes association is getting.  The city pays this in return for you having to hire a garbage collector.
That sounds right.  Some homeowners' associations opt to hire a private contractor instead of using the city's service, and get rebate from the city.

Actually the small apartment buildings are included in i they have six or fewer units, just like they get city trash pickup.

Your condo association could probably contract with a private company to pick up recyclables, and possibly get the city's rebate.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

dangerboy wrote: Your condo association could probably contract with a private company to pick up recyclables, and possibly get the city's rebate.
been there. deffenbaugh, the local monopoly, hasn't been very receptive to the idea and i've been bounced around between contacts more times than i care to count. it simply isn't profitable to do small bundle recycling, hence the city-funded program for single-family homes. bridging the gap confirmed that there are no other companies willing to enter the space at this time.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Seems like a good issue for the DNA and/or CCA to take up.  City Hall is much more likely to take notice (and action) if the neighborhood associations are agitating for something.
beccanator
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by beccanator »

During a presentation by Michael Shaw, Manager of Solid Waste in KCMO, at the January 16th meeting of the Kansas City Climate Protection Plan work groups, it was announced that "Kansas City is in a state of emergency" in relation to the availability of landfill space and overall waste management costs. Various new programs have been proposed and will soon be implemented to attempt to solve this problem, including a pilot project that will provide recycling services to multi-unit dwellings. This pilot project is directed at downtown loft-, condo- and apartment buildings.
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

finally.
although, i don't mind finding my way to the center.
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I remember this coming up in a DNA meeting last year...dont' think it has ever been pursued.

I know one option was a downtown recycling center.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

That's great news.

I just don't understand why they can't put a big dumpster, split into sections, in parking lots downtown. I think that would be an easy way to do it. I also think it's a crime (unless I'm unaware of something) that there is no recycling in the City Market, with the amount of plastics and cardboard that come out of there.
You know, Dude, I myself dabbled in pacifism once. Not in 'Nam of course.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

Is there no recycling place like in a large parking lot where people can leave their recyclables?

I dont' do the curbside recycling, I take mine to the place up behind Metro North. I'm too cheap to pay for curbside. Some of our neighbors and us take turns.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

I can't imagine hauling all of my recycables to a drop off site.  It is a big enough hassle just toting the newspapers up to the city market.  I don't bother with anything else.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

since i started the thread, i must state that we found a private company to handle our residents' recycling and are in talks right now.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

lock+load wrote: I can't imagine hauling all of my recycables to a drop off site.  It is a big enough hassle just toting the newspapers up to the city market.  I don't bother with anything else.
Keep in mind that hauling your own will keep all the neighbors from knowing what boozers you are. We all giggle about it when we have a party or houseguests and a lot of beer/wine/liquor bottles. Some smartass neighbor is sure to comment on it. :lol: :lol:
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

nota wrote: Keep in mind that hauling your own will keep all the neighbors from knowing what boozers you are. We all giggle about it when we have a party or houseguests and a lot of beer/wine/liquor bottles. Some smartass neighbor is sure to comment on it. :lol: :lol:
We get the service for free.  You carry your cans and bottles out to the dumpster and a few hours later you can watch the neighborhood homeless rifle through the trash for cans and bottles to take for redemption.  Why bother implementing an expensive city run system? 
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

nota wrote: Is there no recycling place like in a large parking lot where people can leave their recyclables?

I dont' do the curbside recycling, I take mine to the place up behind Metro North. I'm too cheap to pay for curbside. Some of our neighbors and us take turns.
I thought it was free?

beccanator
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by beccanator »

Most people won't recycle if it's not convenient. Having to drive your recycling to a remote drop-off place (though they are wonderful because dropoff sites often take items that curbside won't, i.e. glass and electronic waste) is not convenient. Providing this service to buildings will hopefully increase the number of residents who recycle on a regular basis.
TheBigChuckbowski wrote: That's great news.

I just don't understand why they can't put a big dumpster, split into sections, in parking lots downtown. I think that would be an easy way to do it. I also think it's a crime (unless I'm unaware of something) that there is no recycling in the City Market, with the amount of plastics and cardboard that come out of there.
Part of the city's new approach to recycling includes placing recyclable waste receptacles on street corners where trash cans are already located. Another pilot project that includes collecting the food waste from the City Market (in biodegradable trash bags) and composting it. Woot!
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

KCPowercat wrote:I thought it was free?
KCMO vs. other municipalities.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
sethyg
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by sethyg »

I take my recyclables down to the place past Isle of Capri. It's not that much of a hassle when I think about what exactly I'm doing.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I thought Nota lived in KCMO?

Anyways...we take our papers to wherever we can find a green dumpster....other stuff just goes in the big dumpster.

nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

KCPowercat wrote: I thought Nota lived in KCMO?

Anyways...we take our papers to wherever we can find a green dumpster....other stuff just goes in the big dumpster.
Parkville is where I live. As the crow flies anyway. Actually we live in unincorporated Platte County. Monticello is just a little sliver on the north side of 45 between KCMO and Parkville. We individually pay for Allied Waste/old BFI to haul our trash.  Riss Lake is Parkville. They pay for their trash in their HOA fee as is my understanding.

One of my great disappointments is that there is no city dump anywhere that we can find. We often have stuff that we just want to haul off a pickup load of. But there is no place to take it.