Downtown Gyms

New to downtown life? Have questions? Urban living expert, come share your thoughts.
sethyg
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: Downtown Gyms

Post by sethyg »

scooterj wrote: Anyone know what the fitness center is that's on the 2nd or 3rd floor of the Town Pavilion, on the north side?  It looks like it has lots of equipment but I never see anyone using it.  (Not Curves, that's on the ground floor.)

Rumor has it that the one I go to, Downtown Fitness Works (formerly Tower Fitness) on the 4th floor of the Commerce Trust Building may soon be expanding to double in size.  (They're the one who have the tennis courts.basketball hoops/track on the CVS roof.)  Now if they just had longer hours and a Saturday schedule too.  :)  (Currenly it's just 6am-7pm M-F.)
No weekend hours? Lame.
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

There's a newish looking gym right across the street (west) of city hall, in the parking garage.  It looks quite nice, if a little small, and it's operated by St. Luke's.  The signs on the window say that they have Pilates classes.  It's a little unclear from the website if anyone can join, or if you have to be a KCMO resident.  Definitely a discount for city employees.

http://www.kcmo.org/hr.nsf/web/fitness
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

heatherkay wrote: There's a newish looking gym right across the street (west) of city hall, in the parking garage.  It looks quite nice, if a little small, and it's operated by St. Luke's.  The signs on the window say that they have Pilates classes.  It's a little unclear from the website if anyone can join, or if you have to be a KCMO resident.  Definitely a discount for city employees.

http://www.kcmo.org/hr.nsf/web/fitness

St. Luke's manages mine as well... and anyone can join there.  At mine the discout is for Commerce employees but even the general rate ($40/month) is extremely reasonable, especially considering that you get personal trainer access whenever needed at no extra charge.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

sethyg wrote: No weekend hours? Lame.
They always tell me that I shouldn't work out on the weekends anyway because I do so much during the week and my body needs to recouperate. :)  But sometimes due to work or a holiday I miss a day during the week.
sethyg
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by sethyg »

scooterj wrote:
St. Luke's manages mine as well... and anyone can join there.   At mine the discout is for Commerce employees but even the general rate ($40/month) is extremely reasonable, especially considering that you get personal trainer access whenever needed at no extra charge.
Free access to a personal trainer?
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

sethyg wrote: Free access to a personal trainer?
Yeah, no extra charge for that.  You do have to set appointments if you need to commandeer them for a while since there are only three but I've never had a problem getting one when needed.
Gretz
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Gretz »

Does anyone know what the fees are at the Marriott or the one across from city hall?
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

I use the Westin Crown center, at least until I see what the new gym in the P&L district will be like.  I get a corporate rate because I'm in education, so I pay $45.00 a month; includes a locker, towel service, access to a tanning bed, dry sauna, steam room, hot tub, outdoor pool that is heated for year around use.  Brand new machines, excellent cardio equipment, and validated parking in the CC Shops garage.  They can also arrange for massage therapists from Naturally Salon in CC to come to the fitness center for you. Plus, at the pool you can order from room service!! Very nice folks, excellent service, very clean and well maintained. 
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

Not sure when it left but I just noticed that the Curves in the Town Pavilion is gone.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

I need some fitness center recommendations between Crown Center and River Market? Membership price is important since I don't have much money right now. It would also make a difference if the gym has tanning beds.
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

I go to Scott Fitness -- they have a location in the River Market and one in the Crossroads (as well as one in Westport).  No tanning beds, but it's only $40 a month, open 24 hours, and no contract. 
Thaine
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Thaine »

Gretz wrote: Does anyone know what the fees are at the Marriott or the one across from city hall?
I pay the discounted rate of $20 per month for the city hall fitness place.  Short Saturday hours and no Sunday hours are the only complaint I have about it.  Not busy, clean, run by St. Lukes and handy are the things I like.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

Thaine wrote: I pay the discounted rate of $20 per month for the city hall fitness place.  Short Saturday hours and no Sunday hours are the only complaint I have about it.  Not busy, clean, run by St. Lukes and handy are the things I like.

I wish they'd bring the Saturday hours back  at mine.    I go to the other St. Luke's run gym, the one above CVS.  My only complaint is that it closes at 7pm weekdays and that they got rid of their Saturday hours a couple of years ago.
KCRealtor
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCRealtor »

I also am a member of Scott Fitness in River Market.  Used to belong to golds midtown, UMKC gym, and others.  But, have been with Scott for 3 years and absolutely love it.  It's a place where you can work out without concern for how you look.  Personally, I appreciate a gym where you can be yourself.  Plus, it's incredibly convenient for me.