Real Estate Listings of Interest (Metrowide)

New to downtown life? Have questions? Urban living expert, come share your thoughts.
Chris Stritzel
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: Real Estate Listings of Interest (Metrowide)

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Sharing this again since it’s neat to me. The Louis Curtiss designed 1200 West 55th is for sale for $5,495,000.

14,863sf, 7 beds, 7.5 bathrooms, 4 car garage.

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandho ... 8690444421

herrfrank
New York Life
New York Life

Post by herrfrank »

wahoowa wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:47 pm
i'm slow on the uptake for this one. the bixby house is not only for sale, it's been totally gutted by what appears to be a foreclosure on "USREEB Realty Pros LLC" and/or 1 big red llc:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6505 ... 5821_zpid/
I am sorry to say that the "renovation" someone did on the Bixby House was actually a gutting. I toured it recently. All of the period details have been removed, including the starburst marble floor, the art deco bathrooms and fixtures, even the 1930s "low profile" fitted radiators have been removed. The Lalique chandelier has been replaced with a plastic made-in-China knockoff, and the Baccarat glass knobs have been sold.

The house is basically worth a minimal amount now as it would take hundreds of thousands to restore to livability, and I certainly hope the new buyers do not attempt to demolish this landmark. It retains its large lot and exterior details, and it remians on the National Historic Registry.

Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

herrfrank wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:39 pm
wahoowa wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:47 pm
i'm slow on the uptake for this one. the bixby house is not only for sale, it's been totally gutted by what appears to be a foreclosure on "USREEB Realty Pros LLC" and/or 1 big red llc:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6505 ... 5821_zpid/
I am sorry to say that the "renovation" someone did on the Bixby House was actually a gutting. I toured it recently. All of the period details have been removed, including the starburst marble floor, the art deco bathrooms and fixtures, even the 1930s "low profile" fitted radiators have been removed. The Lalique chandelier has been replaced with a plastic made-in-China knockoff, and the Baccarat glass knobs have been sold.

The house is basically worth a minimal amount now as it would take hundreds of thousands to restore to livability, and I certainly hope the new buyers do not attempt to demolish this landmark. It retains its large lot and exterior details, and it remians on the National Historic Registry.
I recently toured the house as well. A potential buyer is coming from California to see it this week. I hope he buys it because he wants to restore much of it.

I was sad to see how much was torn out. The stair hall was semi-intact. The original railing with crystal orbs is still there! The decorative, spiraling plaster ceiling was there, too.

Are you sure the light fixture was a knock off? It didn't shine like the one in the photo below, but it was really really dusty (I didn't touch it to analyze the material).

Also, the starburst floor was not original anyway. The original was much more interesting with geometric shapes. It was made of linoleum!

A couple images I took of current conditions:

herrfrank
New York Life
New York Life

Post by herrfrank »

Midtownkid wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:43 am

I was sad to see how much was torn out. The stair hall was semi-intact. The original railing with crystal orbs is still there! The decorative, spiraling plaster ceiling was there, too.

Are you sure the light fixture was a knock off? It didn't shine like the one in the photo below, but it was really really dusty (I didn't touch it to analyze the material).

Also, the starburst floor was not original anyway. The original was much more interesting with geometric shapes. It was made of linoleum!
The "Lalique" light fixture is plastic. I touched it.

The orbs appeared to be replaced as well, but I cannot recall if the replacements were glass or plastic -- I was a bit upset at that moment about the Lalique chandelier.