South Hyde Park

New to downtown life? Have questions? Urban living expert, come share your thoughts.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

South Hyde Park

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Hello all! the Wife and I are looking at purchasing a house around the South Hyde Park area, specifically around 40th between Kenwood and Troost area. As this would be our first time ever living in an urban setting (both of us from JoCo), we were trying to get a feel for the area. From areavibes it is saying crime is an F rating, but I would like everyone's input! Thanks again!
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: South Hyde Park

Post by chrizow »

We lived in SHP for 8 years (08 to 16), never had any issues. Have been part of the Hyde Park crime facebook page forever and things seem about the same now. Anywhere in midtown KC will bring an elevated risk of property crime compared to JoCo, but as long as you use good judgment it should be ok (not leaving valuables in the car, have a home alarm). It's a little cold now but I would recommend on a nicer day, go walk around the neighborhood, Gillham Park, etc. Anecdotally, some friends with kids recently moved to SHP (near 40/Charlotte) from Lee's Summit and love it. I think you'll find SHP is a friendly, neighborly place overall.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

We have lived in North Hyde Park for over a decade and are very happy here.

I have no idea how Areavibes calculates their crime rating. SHP, Valentine, and Southmoreland were all F's. Somehow, the Country Club Plaza was an A+. I find that a little suspicious. Most neighborhoods don't seem to be listed at all. I would take it with a grain of salt.

SHP has it's fair share of minor property crimes, but I don't think it is too different from most urban neighborhoods. Anecdotally, West Plaza seems to have just as many issues, but people might think it "feels" safer since it is further from Troost.

Personally, I have had no issues with crime in NHP. I know it definitely happens, but it hasn't affected us. It seems like I more frequently hear about issues in SHP, but that might just be because it is more heavily populated and they seem to have more people active in the neighborhood watch/fear mongering social media platforms. It does seem like the community in SHP is more active and tightly knit (almost to the point of being annoying to me).
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:44 pm I have no idea how Areavibes calculates their crime rating. SHP, Valentine, and Southmoreland were all F's. Somehow, the Country Club Plaza was an A+. I find that a little suspicious. Most neighborhoods don't seem to be listed at all. I would take it with a grain of salt.
https://www.areavibes.com/methodology/

They go into some detail on the methodology
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Thanks for the responses all! I did forget to mention that I will most likely be deployed starting in may so she’ll be living there by herself most likely, and she’s more concerned about that. How safe would you all say it is for a woman living on her own in the area?
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

SHP was really bad about 25 years ago and may still suffer from that reputation, but is very different now. I see single women walking/jogging in Gillham Park alone, even at night, and you would have never see that a generation ago.
KCPD has a link to crime maps, where you can search neighborhoods and specify date periods. It is very useful and if you compare SHP to other neighborhoods, it will give you a good idea of what is going on.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

flyingember wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:18 am
KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:44 pm I have no idea how Areavibes calculates their crime rating. SHP, Valentine, and Southmoreland were all F's. Somehow, the Country Club Plaza was an A+. I find that a little suspicious. Most neighborhoods don't seem to be listed at all. I would take it with a grain of salt.

It still seems unclear as to how they source the crime stats on a neighborhood level. Yes, you can look at mapping, but I am skeptical they would do that. I don't believe KCPD releases any official stats by neighborhood.

It looks like Areavibes has zero reported crimes for the Plaza. There is definitely something amiss with their methodology.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:09 pm
flyingember wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:18 am

It still seems unclear as to how they source the crime stats on a neighborhood level. Yes, you can look at mapping, but I am skeptical they would do that. I don't believe KCPD releases any official stats by neighborhood.

It looks like Areavibes has zero reported crimes for the Plaza. There is definitely something amiss with their methodology.
Data down to the block level is available to the public so it's probably not the same source.

This site would help give a good idea of an area around crime as an alternative. Use the filters to pick a wider date range
https://cityprotect.com/map/list/agenci ... omLevel=14
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Rubber sidewalk going in at 41st & Kenwood as part of a pilot project to test out new materials & repair techniques! Made of 100% recycled materials & installed around tree roots.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CVqVCkTLNg2/
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by FlippantCitizen »

FangKC wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:12 pm Rubber sidewalk going in at 41st & Kenwood as part of a pilot project to test out new materials & repair techniques! Made of 100% recycled materials & installed around tree roots.

Interesting. Walked my dog by there just a few hours ago and noticed the work happening. Would like to see a comparison of cost and carbon impact. Are there advantages in those regards or is it something else? Just interested to understand what the perceived pros of this are.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

FlippantCitizen wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:33 pm
FangKC wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:12 pm Rubber sidewalk going in at 41st & Kenwood as part of a pilot project to test out new materials & repair techniques! Made of 100% recycled materials & installed around tree roots.

Interesting. Walked my dog by there just a few hours ago and noticed the work happening. Would like to see a comparison of cost and carbon impact. Are there advantages in those regards or is it something else? Just interested to understand what the perceived pros of this are.
Apparently tree roots not damaging them is a big deal.

Concrete is like the worst material for co2 production

Portland has an example of theirs
https://www.portlandoregon.gov/bds/appe ... e_id=23081
They use car tires so it's taking something often illegally dumped and turning it into a useful material.