Aggressive panhandlers

New to downtown life? Have questions? Urban living expert, come share your thoughts.
wahoowa
Ambassador

Re: Aggressive panhandlers

Post by wahoowa »

we ran into them a few months ago walking on walnut near p&L and they were incredibly cordial. i thought of this thread when it happened but then thought "eh, we've moved off this subject" so i didn't post it then. but now we're back!
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

I kind of wonder how productive panhandling is in the digital world we live today? I almost never carry any cash. Ever. If I'm going to a cash only restaurant or shop, I have to specifically remember to take cash or go to an ATM. I suspect most people are like me in that regard.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Highlander wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 2:49 pm I kind of wonder how productive panhandling is in the digital world we live today? I almost never carry any cash. Ever. If I'm going to a cash only restaurant or shop, I have to specifically remember to take cash or go to an ATM. I suspect most people are like me in that regard.
I only just recently began to carry cash again. Stems from the cold snap in Texas a couple years ago, stores had no power so no way to process CC/DC transactions. We were out of water and city water system had failed, so had to buy some, took me walking to 3 places, in negative temps before I found a place where they were writing down CC numbers to charge once power came back. Whole situation was a little bit of a wake up for sure.

Back to topic though, I’d imagine they don’t get nearly as many people with cash nowadays. I have seen some with venmo/paypall/cashapp on their signs. Improvise, adapt, overcome I guess
Elrod
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Elrod »

Sort of in line with this: I started using touch-to-pay methods when I realized that not sliding one's card into a slot means no skimmer can steal information. Contactless payments are more secure as the actual credit card number is not involved - a token is generated to authorize the single transaction. So...not only is cash becoming less necessary (except for emergency situations like the one Anthony_Hugo98 describes above), it is becoming less necessary to carry the actual card also. One can then rely on one's phone. Of course, losing control of that device then becomes the issue.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Elrod wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 9:35 am Sort of in line with this: I started using touch-to-pay methods when I realized that not sliding one's card into a slot means no skimmer can steal information. Contactless payments are more secure as the actual credit card number is not involved - a token is generated to authorize the single transaction. So...not only is cash becoming less necessary (except for emergency situations like the one Anthony_Hugo98 describes above), it is becoming less necessary to carry the actual card also. One can then rely on one's phone. Of course, losing control of that device then becomes the issue.
Absolutely, as much as I am an advocate for still utilizing cash, I use my watch/phone to pay for nearly everything in regards to Gas, Groceries, Consumer goods.

Outside of that I try to keep some cash either on hand or stashed somewhere, and I’ll use cash for mom & pop types or small businesses.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

I came in here looking for Phuqueue to be scolding everyone for calling any panhandler "aggressive" but you all are just talking about cash vs apple pay.

BOOOOOOO! ;)
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

DColeKC wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 6:41 pm I came in here looking for Phuqueue to be scolding everyone for calling any panhandler "aggressive" but you all are just talking about cash vs apple pay.

BOOOOOOO! ;)
We’re sorry to disappoint :lol: