Power and Light District Official Tenant List

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
wahoowa
Ambassador

Re: Power and Light District Official Tenant List

Post by wahoowa »

i could also see a (primarily) delivery wings place killing it at mixx. something like the wings over chain.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

I think the district is in desperate need of a high end cocktail bar. People too often inaccurately think the typical PNL guest is young and broke.

I don’t think KC is a mega club city but Mosaic, Shark Bar and PBR all do exceptionally well and typically have lines on weekends and getting $10-$20 cover based on demand. I think the live area needs a calmer, more intimate place for those of us that get tired of the loud and rowdy clubs after a while and want to finish or start off the night in a fancier spot. I even think younger folks appreciate a nicer cocktail these days.

I’m not a fast food person but I do see the value in having a few fast options for the lunch crowd and downtown employees who are in a hurry.

Cordish has always tried to have a mix of National and local. I could see them going the National route on a Mexican restaurant and local on other concepts. Love the idea of a 24/7 spot again.

It’s too bad the flying saucer spot is so removed from the live area. It has to be a strong concept on its own. I don’t see anyway to connect it to say Leinenkugals.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

A place that does a higher end boozy brunch would work well somewhere in P&L I think too. Bristol seems to do pretty well with their brunch service.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

Yes an upperend bottomless brunch would do so well!
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Riverite wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:56 pm Yes an upperend bottomless brunch would do so well!
There’s a few places doing brunch like Guys Dive. Not sure I’d call it upper end though.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I'd hope like hell you wouldn't :)
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Ok, what do we replace the Alamo Drafthouse with?
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

are they done done?
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Aww man
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

Not a surprise and they certainly had some management issues, but that was one of the best theaters I've been to and I've been to a lot. I loved their model.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

So what next for that space? Hard to imagine another theater moves in. This feels like a real loss for a downtown car-free lifestyle.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

smh wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:52 am So what next for that space? Hard to imagine another theater moves in. This feels like a real loss for a downtown car-free lifestyle.
a theatre is nice, but it's not a daily or weekly location for most people

it's a substantial space. I can't quickly find the current size but it originally was 90k sq ft.

This is the space for a Target

Shared parking in Three Light, H&R Block and the W&R Tower

Connect into an entrance off Baltimore when Four Light goes up. Common dock space off Truman. Maybe expand on the SE corner of the block to start and build on top of it later.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

flyingember wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:04 am
smh wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:52 am So what next for that space? Hard to imagine another theater moves in. This feels like a real loss for a downtown car-free lifestyle.
a theatre is nice, but it's not a daily or weekly location for most people

it's a substantial space. I can't quickly find the current size but it originally was 90k sq ft.

This is the space for a Target

Shared parking in Three Light, H&R Block and the W&R Tower

Connect into an entrance off Baltimore when Four Light goes up. Common dock space off Truman. Maybe expand on the SE corner of the block to start and build on top of it later.
Not a bad idea. I'd still appreciate a movie theater downtown.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

beautyfromashes wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:03 am Ok, what do we replace the Alamo Drafthouse with?
how do u know its done? its still on the website, there are other alamos on there that are grayed out like LA and some in Texas
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

I've not heard Alamo is done officially. So much money and work went into converting that into a movie theatre. Mostly structural and a big effort to save anything we could. I hope if they're done and it's no longer a movie theatre, it retains it's awesome character.

It's massive. I've seen it when completely gutted and the possibilities are endless. Would make a very cool Target or event space. Obviously, will never be a theatre again due to the Midland.

EDIT: I honestly think that if Alamo is out.... another operator will come along and try to run it. There's just so much invested and it's still a top-tier movie theatre in regards to equipment, which is the most expensive aspect of these projects.

normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

DColeKC wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:53 am I've not heard Alamo is done officially. So much money and work went into converting that into a movie theatre. Mostly structural and a big effort to save anything we could. I hope if they're done and it's no longer a movie theatre, it retains it's awesome character.

It's massive. I've seen it when completely gutted and the possibilities are endless. Would make a very cool Target or event space. Obviously, will never be a theatre again due to the Midland.

EDIT: I honestly think that if Alamo is out.... another operator will come along and try to run it. There's just so much invested and it's still a top-tier movie theatre in regards to equipment, which is the most expensive aspect of these projects.

Maybe AMC will come back downtown
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

that sucks.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

If the case, is a bummer that even though KC is recovering quite well, the entertainment/hospitality industries are still struggling to hang in there.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

It is getting harder and harder for movie theaters to survive as a business. It's just become too easy to stay at home and get quality entertainment every single night.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Yeah, double whammy for movie theaters.