Power and Light District Official Tenant List

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: Power and Light District Official Tenant List

Post by KCPowercat »

I mean it's not extremely visible like all the newer branches popping up on Main (equally yuck) but they did have a streetfront presence. Heck off 12th you could look right into the tellers.

https://goo.gl/maps/ftmp5uuwgsfCngGB9
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Wtf do these banks do? I can't remember the last time I got cash out of an atm let alone go inside one, but every single new tenant downtown is a bank.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

WoodDraw wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:08 am Wtf do these banks do? I can't remember the last time I got cash out of an atm let alone go inside one, but every single new tenant downtown is a bank.
In my experience, the downtown ones seemed to be geared towards working with small businesses in the area and to serve as advertisements for their brands. Considering we have plenty of open retail spaces, I see no problem with all of these banks.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

normalthings wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:11 am
WoodDraw wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:08 am Wtf do these banks do? I can't remember the last time I got cash out of an atm let alone go inside one, but every single new tenant downtown is a bank.
In my experience, the downtown ones seemed to be geared towards working with small businesses in the area and to serve as advertisements for their brands. Considering we have plenty of open retail spaces, I see no problem with all of these banks.
I don't have a problem with them. I'm sure many businesses still need a place to do cash drop offs.

But so many banks.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yeah its basically a live billboard given they are almost all on the streetcar line. Problem with bank taking up retail space is no retail tax income but yeah it's not like we have a dearth of space.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

WoodDraw wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:19 am

I don't have a problem with them. I'm sure many businesses still need a place to do cash drop offs.

But so many banks.
One of my banks just upgraded their ATM to accept cash deposits, another already had this. Don't need to go inside any more for this on the small scale business and individuals.

I figure if you have too much cash for drive thru you're already being given special treatment when you go in because you would hold up the line inside too.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:28 am
Yeah its basically a live billboard given they are almost all on the streetcar line. Problem with bank taking up retail space is no retail tax income but yeah it's not like we have a dearth of space.
And they're dead space because as far as I know no one belongs to twenty banks and you can't just go in and have a coffee.

I mean it's fine, I'm glad they're downtown. It just feels like every new building or tenant space is a fucking bank.

Should at least get some downtown crime bosses and start money laundering and get some local revenue. Where's the mafia when you need them?
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Banks can always get easy financing to build.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

DaveKCMO wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:47 pm Does anyone know what's happening in the old GNC space?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DaveKCMO wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:56 pm
DaveKCMO wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:47 pm Does anyone know what's happening in the old GNC space?
tanning salon
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

shinatoo wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:27 pm Banks can always get easy financing to build.
I hope the next step is getting the banks to move their offices to downtown from the suburbs. I view these retail locations as their foot in the door.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Given chase is trying to get I to the kc market I'm sure they will be popping into a space soon.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I'm surprised some big bank (like Chase) hasn't swooped in and bought the former Federal Reserve Bank building to stake their flag in the market. Given the right offer, and the endless delays in renovating the building, they could probably have gotten the developer to sell, or convert their plan to bank office space.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

FangKC wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:48 am I'm surprised some big bank (like Chase) hasn't swooped in and bought the former Federal Reserve Bank building to stake their flag in the market. Given the right offer, and the endless delays in renovating the building, they could probably have gotten the developer to sell, or convert their plan to bank office space.
A lot of EDC staff left since Lucas came into power and he reduced their budget by a sizable amount. I don’t know if the staff and leadership is there anymore to go after those sorts of projects.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

normalthings wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:47 am
FangKC wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:48 am I'm surprised some big bank (like Chase) hasn't swooped in and bought the former Federal Reserve Bank building to stake their flag in the market. Given the right offer, and the endless delays in renovating the building, they could probably have gotten the developer to sell, or convert their plan to bank office space.
A lot of EDC staff left since Lucas came into power and he reduced their budget by a sizable amount. I don’t know if the staff and leadership is there anymore to go after those sorts of projects.
I think Lucas is probably a better mayor for the civil unrest, but he’s not nearly as pro Economic development as our region needs IMHO.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:43 am
normalthings wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:47 am
I think Lucas is probably a better mayor for the civil unrest, but he’s not nearly as pro Economic development as our region needs IMHO.
Ehh. Lucas's trait of "tell people what they want to hear" worked at first but has started to wane in effectiveness.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:06 pm
DaveKCMO wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:56 pm
tanning salon
***Dave's scream is heard for miles around***

But seriously, are people still tanning? This is a thing?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

smh wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:06 pm But seriously, are people still tanning? This is a thing?
Fashion is still a thing
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

normalthings wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:24 pm Bank of America is opening a location in what appears to be the Kaldi’s Coffee spot.

Description:Remodel for Bank of America as a new tenant with store front work.

https://compasskc.kcmo.org/EnerGov_Prod ... ttachments
The BofA location in One KCP is being renovated. It is possible that this permit has the wrong location attached. Great news if that is the case. It will be nice to open One KCP up to the outside.

This renovation proposes an Advanced Center 2.0. It is a tech-focused, humanless location. Looks like it will have a different purpose than the human staffed location that exists today.

This is a link that describes the 1st generation.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/n ... -less.html
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Status of the permit is now "Voided".