OFFICIAL: The College Basketball Experience (NABC Hall of Fame) building design

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
rhine
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Re: OFFICIAL: NABC Hall of Fame building design

Post by rhine »

I did a full walk around the whole shebang this morning just for fun, and one of the first things I saw after parking on the East side was indeed a large blank gray wall with a door in the corner. If anything, it might have potential to hang signage or banners or some sort of decor, but yes, it was quite the contrast to a wall of glass to the South (SC), but not all that big of a deal considering the surroundings (parking lots across the street to the North and East and the Bail bonding place. They could have done something different, but all things considered, if I hadnt been thinking about it, it wouldnt have been a big deal to me.

Coming up on the NW corner of the building you start seeing the blown up prints of Larry Bird with a horribly contorted facial expression, and what I thought was the Kelvin Sampson pic had this black blotch over his face. Taking a closer look it wasnt painted over, someone cut his face off of the picture from the inside of the building!  :shock: I just stood there, not believing what I was seeing. Guessing somebodys gonna have hell to pay for that happening.

SC looks dirty and dusty, but that puppys gonna shine in a couple of months. Another resounding thought was that there is absolutely NO way they could have  the PnL fully open by the October SC opening date.

As in 0% chance.

I dont blame JE Dunn/Cordish for the emphatic October opening expectations that they set and havent been able to meet, but the fact that they now are trying to sell the major delay as mostly the tenants fault is now laughable.
Think ahead.

Proverbs 3:5-6
anniewarbucks
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by anniewarbucks »

Plus they did not get started on the construction of The P&L district untill the SC started to get the support steel for the glass installed. This should have been started months before.
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant- free message.
However, a significant number of electrons have been inconvenienced.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

rhine wrote: Taking a closer look it wasnt painted over, someone cut his face off of the picture from the inside of the building!  :shock: I just stood there, not believing what I was seeing. Guessing somebodys gonna have hell to pay for that happening.
Yeah, I drove by it the other day and noticed the same thing.  Wtf!?
Insider
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Insider »

I've read a number of the comments on this board and find a lot of it amusing...First, the building isn't the hall of fame that everyone is trying to make of it.  The National Collegiate Basketball Hall of Fame is included in the building as an important component but only comprises less than one-third of the facility.  The facility is titled THE COLLEGE BASKETBALL EXPERIENCE (CBE).  This is NO museum.  This is a highly interactive celebration of the game of men's collegiate basketball.  There are no artifacts, old basketballs, old jersey's, etc.  This is a functional and interactive tribute to the game of men's collegiate basketball that immerses the fan in the fun and excitement that is college basketball...probably the best brand of basketball on the market today and certainly one of the most exciting sporting events this country has to offer on a yearly basis. 

The CBE will certainly entertain visitors for hours.  It is a place where the visitor can lose themselves in the "fun" of the game.  There are real mapel courts in this facility and a ton of shooting opportunities on real goals and real courts.  This is no walk-thru, look and never come back again facility.  This facility will provide something different for the visitor on multiple visits. 

C'mon Kansas City, this is good for our community, for our city.  Let's get on-board with something promising and something that will bring attention to our great city.  College basketball is part of the history, tradition and lore of our city.  It really all started here (National Championships-NCAA & NAIA, NCAA Tourney, Big 12, etc.).

We need to claim and embrace the good things that our community has to offer.  I hope this unique facility will become a jewel in the crown of Kansas City and specifically downtown.

Keep the comments coming...
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

cool, thanks for the post Insider.
MidWestSider
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by MidWestSider »

Sounds like fun..  any idea on cost?  Will you pay one entry fee or will it be arcade like, pay per experience?
Insider
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Insider »

It will be around the cost of a movie ticket (adult & youth prices respectively).  One price will afford you the "experience" of the entire facility. 
doc
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by doc »

Does the College Basketball Experience include any references to women's collegiate basketball?
RobertGoulet
Surface Lot

Post by RobertGoulet »

doc wrote: Does the College Basketball Experience include any references to women's collegiate basketball?
I don't think so. I know the women have their own Hall of Fame in Knoxville.
KCTigerFan
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCTigerFan »

Not unless you count the Ryan Robertson display.  &&&  :lol:
doc wrote: Does the College Basketball Experience include any references to women's collegiate basketball?
anniewarbucks
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by anniewarbucks »

If the patrons will be shooting baskets in this building then they should at least have the women's size of basketballs.
Brodees
Ambassador

Post by Brodees »

College basketball coaches get early look at Hall of Fame

Video has some good interviews with top NCAA bball coaches (Izzo, Smith & Willie Self), but, beyond what looks to be a regulation-sized court, it doesn't reveal much of what's going on inside.

edit: I tend to agree with Tom Izzo's (and some forum member's) sentiments that this place should succeed due to the  opportunity it provides for people of all ages -- especially kids and young adults -- to take part in a very interactive experience (as opposed to a traditional museum/hall of fame tour).  If this place does end up offering a truly unique, interactive experience, then I foresee it being a big hit -- especially once we get a permanent tenant in there.
Last edited by Brodees on Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

anniewarbucks wrote: If the patrons will be shooting baskets in this building then they should at least have the women's size of basketballs.
:x
doc
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by doc »

RobertGoulet wrote: I don't think so. I know the women have their own Hall of Fame in Knoxville.
Thanks.  I didn't know that.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

RobertGoulet wrote: I don't think so. I know the women have their own Hall of Fame in Knoxville.
This is the coaches all of fame - not players.  If there were going to be references to women, it would be to Pat Summit, etc.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

I don't care about women's basketball.  But, there are pictures of Larry Bird and various other "players" on the windows of the Hall.  So, yeah, it is about the players too. 
kanasalumn
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kanasalumn »

it is called NABC Hall of Fame.  yes sponsord by the coaches, but it is college basketball HOF with coaches, players, and people associated with the game.  Austin Carr and kareem are two such players that has been inducted already.
anniewarbucks
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by anniewarbucks »

Saw a pic. of the floor of the college football experiance in the paper today. Looks real sharp.

Mike Burley / The Capital-Journal
Kansas' Bill Self was one of several college basketball coaches who toured the nearly completed National Collegiate Basketball Hall of Fame, adjacent to the Sprint Center in Kansas City, Mo. The Hall features the College Basketball Experience exhibit.
Theiler
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Theiler »

Brodees wrote: College basketball coaches get early look at Hall of Fame

Video has some good interviews with top NCAA bball coaches (Izzo, Smith & Willie Self), but, beyond what looks to be a regulation-sized court, it doesn't reveal much of what's going on inside.
I read in one of the articles put out with that video from the Star that the court is just under regulation size... but does have six goals.
kanasalumn wrote: it is called NABC Hall of Fame.  yes sponsord by the coaches, but it is college basketball HOF with coaches, players, and people associated with the game.  Austin Carr and kareem are two such players that has been inducted already.
Well... part of it is called that, yes.
Raytown South '04
Mizzou '09
Financial Management Major, Business Minor
Royals, Chiefs, & Wizards fan
KC Baby!!
jlbomega
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by jlbomega »

What are they going to use the court for?