Power & Light residential tower (next to P&L Building, not Cordish related)

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Power & Light residential tower (next to P&L Building, not Cordish related)

Post by GRID »

ignatius wrote: Pre-construction sales will be a challenge in this town where buyers want to see the product first and move in within months.
yea, the first one or two will be the most difficult.  That's why I thought we could use incentives to get the first tower or two up.  But even that is apparently not helping.

I think this project has a good chance of happening, but I'm not holding my breath.
eliphar17
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by eliphar17 »

This is a good illustration of the problem in this town... If you were a developer with land in the CBD, why on earth would you put any effort into a new tower when other plans for new towers are collapsing or at a standstill due to slow sales? I understand and sympathize with the complaints of not enough new construction but it really all comes down to demand. No matter how willing or unwilling City Hall is to work with developers - if there's no one to sell a great product to, why try?

There's no way Cordish will move on their residential towers until this one begins construction. They would be fools otherwise.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

eliphar17 wrote: This is a good illustration of the problem in this town... If you were a developer with land in the CBD, why on earth would you put any effort into a new tower when other plans for new towers are collapsing or at a standstill due to slow sales? I understand and sympathize with the complaints of not enough new construction but it really all comes down to demand. No matter how willing or unwilling City Hall is to work with developers - if there's no one to sell a great product to, why try?

There's no way Cordish will move on their residential towers until this one begins construction. They would be fools otherwise.
you might be on to something! why are you not simply blaming someone?
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

So, they have torn down the nasty little building on the corner...now what?  Are they waiting for more people to sign up?  Is this still on?
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Midtownkid wrote: ...now what? 
We wait a couple years for mortgage liquidity to return to the market. 
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: Power & Light residential tower (next to P&L Building, n

Post by mgh7676 »

I'm assuming this project is dead?
Demosthenes
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Demosthenes »

mgh7676 wrote:I'm assuming this project is dead?
I'm assuming so, since it has been so long. You would think something would have happened by now. Really sucks, because this building was exciting back in the day. Would have been a great fit for the block. Eh, time for someone new to step up to the plate.
archiKC
Pad site
Pad site

Post by archiKC »

Every time I walk past this empty block I say to myself something good for the city needs to be put there. Right now, a pile of dirt, a chain-link fence, and a for sale sign isnt going to cut it. If only I had the funds to make something work. If anyone knows the powers at play, now is the time