Various restaurants worried about P&L

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

I agree that the Crossroads (and Westside) restaruants will be OK in the long run, BUT... we do need to remember to take care of the local guys at the same time. Too often KC tends to chase the big outside companies while neglecting to nurture the small local businesses that provide most of the jobs and tax revenue in our economy.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I won't eat at a P&L restaurant for the first 2 months....at least. Now the Quaff, Tanners, John's Deck might hurt a bit as I test out some of the bars.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

trailerkid wrote:It's also important to realize that P+L will dump Joe and Suzy Jo Co or Larry and Loretta Lee's Summit off at the South Loop. There's some territorial stuff going on. New, shiny, suburban-friendly, chain development being put next to a burgeoning arts district. A complete culture clash.
I didn't realize that many of these chains going into the P&L were suburban chains? Borders maybe...or a Landry's, but not Hard Rock Cafe, ESPNZone, House of Blues, McFadden's, etc. These places are urban chains that are popular in vibrant downtown districts. Urban KC never attracted suburbanites because people feel it's an urban ghost town. Why do you think First Fridays are popular with suburbanites? Because downtown finally has something vibrant to offer!

Vibrant districts usually have less crime as well because there are more people and cops around. Crime lurks in dark, quiet alleys...or hiding in abandoned, boarded up buildings.
Last edited by QueSi2Opie on Mon Jul 19, 2004 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yeah I think he meant big city popular chains that will attract the fringe of people that wouldn't come down for a rocking night at the Phoenix...

people that are more attracted to a new chain Applebees than a solid restaurant opening in midtown.

not that this type of person is just in the burbs.

QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by QueSi2Opie »

KCPowercat wrote:Yeah I think he meant big city popular chains that will attract the fringe of people that wouldn't come down for a rocking night at the Phoenix...

people that are more attracted to a new chain Applebees than a solid restaurant opening in midtown.

not that this type of person is just in the burbs.
The Pheonix, John's Deck, the Quaff, etc. are ALWAYS packed on the weekends! At least everytime I've gone you can't even find a place to sit down. I think if a downtown establishment is struggling, there's a reason for it. Could be quality, or it could be piss poor advertising.

AppleBee's isn't goin' to attract anybody. They had one downtown before, it closed.

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I know they are packed....what are we fighting about? are we fighting? What's my name?

the only point I'm trying to make is the P&L district will draw more people downtown that wouldn't have come down to check out the places you mentioned.....some people just dig on huge national chains....

tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

I think in the long run, it will actually help out crossroads, and crown center and the plaza. As the district comes on line, the BRT line will be completed. People in the office towers will come down to happy hours after work. Some people may stay and eat, or do something else in the Power and light District, but others may just decide to run to the plaza or CC, and leave their car where it is. The arena and the PAC will do the same. People can park one time, and go everywhere from the plaza to the entertainment district, or see a show or a game and eat.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by QueSi2Opie »

KCPowercat wrote:I know they are packed....what are we fighting about? are we fighting? What's my name?

the only point I'm trying to make is the P&L district will draw more people downtown that wouldn't have come down to check out the places you mentioned.....some people just dig on huge national chains....
:lol: We're not fighting! Anyhow, many young single suburbanites I've spoken to in JOCO said they would love to live downtown if more entertainment options were available.

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

i know we weren't fighting.

Good, the P&L district comes and up goes my property value :)

NOLA
Pad site
Pad site

Post by NOLA »

Please no Hard Rock Cafes.....This isn't 1988. That is all I ask out of P&L
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

alot of people want Hard Rock Cafe, although I could care less. It'd be nice but I would MUCH MUCH rather have ESPN Zone!
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

i dont care if they put in a friggin' Bennigan's if the district will be packed with folks.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Did somebody say Bennigan's?

QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by QueSi2Opie »

NOLA wrote:Please no Hard Rock Cafes.....This isn't 1988. That is all I ask out of P&L
I'm a fan of Hard Rock Cafe and make an effort to visit every one in every city. As long as their stock keeps rising and they keep adding restaurants and resorts across the globe, I'd say this is 2004 and HRC is still the shiznits! Afterall, their hotels and nightclubs are still the most visited by celebrities. GO HARD ROCK CAFE!!! Bob Marley, Elvis Presley, Jimi Hendrix, etc., etc., etc. Besides, it will be a big draw for hicks out of Wichita, Topeka, Springfield, Omaha, Lincoln, Des Moines, and where ever else KC's tourists come from.

I'd be disappointed if KC didn't get a Hard Rock Cafe. :(

NOLA
Pad site
Pad site

Post by NOLA »

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree about Hard Rock Cafes being beacons for celebrities. I've now lived in three cities with HRC's and the only people who I ever saw going in were tourists. In fact, most people in New Orleans and Austin despised the HRC.

Although, I guess if KC is trying to lure Wichitans and Topekans......but I digress

My point is that I would just like to see KC's downtown project get something a little bit better than a modified Chili's with Lenny Kravitz's boa hanging from the wall under glass. HRC's are a dime a dozen.

If this is a chain-fueled expansion, I would be much more on board for a Dave and Busters or an ESPN Zone. I think their ability to attract visitors downtown would not only be stronger than an HRC, but they would be more dyanamic in shaping KC's downtown identity.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

i agree with NOLA. while we DO want to attract tourists, i dunno if we want a place that only caters to tourists. the HRC is the sort of place where locals go one time and never again because, well, why would you? the food is mediocre and expensive, and you can only look at Alice Cooper's microphone stand so many times.

ESPNZone and especially Dave + Buster's are places where locals flock as well as visitors. st. louis' Dave + Busters is in the (really lame) suburban office park nightlife district of "westport," and it is doing very well from what i can tell. i think it would do great in downtown KC.

something else we need in KC is Jamba Juice. mmmmmm. but i digress...
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by QueSi2Opie »

chrizow wrote:i agree with NOLA. while we DO want to attract tourists, i dunno if we want a place that only caters to tourists. the HRC is the sort of place where locals go one time and never again because, well, why would you? the food is mediocre and expensive, and you can only look at Alice Cooper's microphone stand so many times.

ESPNZone and especially Dave + Buster's are places where locals flock as well as visitors. st. louis' Dave + Busters is in the (really lame) suburban office park nightlife district of "westport," and it is doing very well from what i can tell. i think it would do great in downtown KC.

something else we need in KC is Jamba Juice. mmmmmm. but i digress...
I agree about Jamba Juice...I love that place!

Dave & Buster's is a suburban chain in cities across America...now even in Village West. Hard Rock Cafe has always been dedicated to the urban core! HRC also makes some decent drinks and I love their Twisted Mac & Cheese. I'm even a holder of HRC's "All Access" VIP card. :P

QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by QueSi2Opie »

NOLA wrote:I'm going to have to respectfully disagree about Hard Rock Cafes being beacons for celebrities.
Michael Jordan showed up at the HRC in Minneapolis when I was at Block E last year. We were dining next to Tom Arnold at Chicago's HRC several years ago. I couldn't even get into the packed HRC in Indianapolis because Formula One racing superstar Michael Schumacher was drinking at the bar.

kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Re: Various restaurants worried about P&L

Post by kcdcchef »

tom arnold, wow, what a celeb. remember when we were trying to get planet hollywood to come to the plaza a few years ago? what a joke.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
BVC
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: Various restaurants worried about P&L

Post by BVC »

KCPowercat wrote: I wouldn't label the new district completely suburban, it has great urban pieces...but I know what you are saying about dropping Mr. and Mrs. Suburb and Tom Tourist downtown.

the crossroads will be fine and will grow because of what's happening in the loop.

Change scares everybody.
Change scares everybody in KC, hence resistance to light rail, downtown baseball, Sprint Center, and on and on...