What Businesses For KC Live??

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

i agree that places like espnzone and the like should go in KC Live, but beyond that i think it should be mostly unique (non-chain) type establishments. maybe a couple restaurants (i am skeptical that KC can support very many more hoity-toity restaurants), a good record/cd store (not Virgin though, more like a Vintage Vinyl in st. louis), coffeeshops, bars, places that people in the NEIGHBORHOOD will go to first and foremost.

i hope the goal isn't to lure people from JoCo. the goal should be to create a cool neighborhood where people will want to live and not just visit once a month to get sloshed (though that's fine too).

thus, make it less gimmicky, less touristy. if it's truly cool, it will attract tourists. but if it's only touristy, it will fail after 6 weeks. downtown doesn't really need a big showy affair. just add great stuff to the already great grassroots stuff going on. make it authentic. i dont think that downtown's renaissance is advanced to the point where "touristy" is the magic bullet. in other words, i hope it is NOT like Bayou Place.

Cordish said it would be more like the Pearl District in portland, but i am skeptical.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

chrizow...it won't be like that...this will be the "West End" of KC....touristy. We've got enough non-touristy places we can run and hide.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

maybe i just dont have faith in pre-fab tourist attractions.

plus, isn't the plaza already our tourist trap?

i know that all downtowns need touristy places. but it seems like they come AFTER downtown already kicks major ass. right now downtown KC is only kicking a wee bit of ass, so it seems like a Tourist Trap is premature? i.e. 90% of people in the metro still would never go downtown if they didn't HAVE to, so i dont think a Tourist Trap will lure them more than a few times.

downtown is moving in the right direction. i'd just hate to see this thing FLOP and all the JoCo people and lee's summit people saying "see? downtown KC will never come back." i'd like it to REALLLLLLY come back THEN lure all the naysayers.

but yeah maybe i just dont have faith. i hate tourist traps, so maybe that's why.

i'd rather see a Chelsea or NoLita than a Times Square, yknow?
NDgravy
Pad site
Pad site

Post by NDgravy »

I was wondering what people think about having a House of Blues in KC Live! I love the one in Chicago and it would help attract several smaller concerts from big names that will definitely sell out.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

they were going to go into the Empire when P&L was going on so I'd bet they have been contacted again.

Chriz...I know what you are saying....but I think this will work. Cordish said they plan to put some basic service needs in the district as well for residents so maybe not all funertainment. Think of what will spin off fromt he KC Live district proper...I think that's the most exciting part.

Plus put some unique retailers down there that even though they could be national chains, they will draw from the metro/region....things like an ESPNzone.

chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

^

word.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

believe me I understand your fears...but again if it becomes some mass tourist thing, it takes the ventios (conventioneers) out of my bars :)

Missionite
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Missionite »

QueSi2Opie wrote:Anyhow, I think KC Live should negotiate with the guy that owns the Aquarium restaurants in Houston (in Bayou Place) and on the Kemah Boardwalk.
Landry's Restaurants (http://www.landrysrestaurants.com) owns and operates the Aquarium and Kemah Boardwalk. They also run Joe's Crab Shacks and the Rainforest Cafe out at Oak Park Mall.

I don't think they're in discussions with Cordish though. It looks like Village West beat them to it.
From the Kansas City Star:

KCK to reveal new Village West tenants

The founders of Rainforest Café and Hard Rock Café will be in Kansas City, Kan. Wednesday to unveil new concepts that will debut at the Legends at Village West center by the Kansas Speedway.

Steven Schussler of Rainforest has been developing his new concept for more than a decade. Isaac Tigrett of Hard Rock also will announce his new concept. The founder of Dave & Buster's also will be at the event to talk about his new location for his restaurant/entertainment concept.

The bustling center in western Wyandotte County already is home to Cabela's, Nebraska Furniture Mart and the Kansas City T-Bones' home at CommunityAmerica Ballpark.

Joyce Smith/The Star

Let's just hope this doesn't hinder KC Live's chance at a Hard Rock Cafe.

Matt
Discover America's Theme Parks @ www.ThemeParksMagazine.com
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I agree with KCP, we have to get these big draws like ESPN Zone or the district will fail.

Let get people Downtown, touristy or not and then the rest will fall into place.
paisstat
New York Life
New York Life

Post by paisstat »

First of all, I think that any Hardrock should be in 18th and Vine, there has already been so much money pumped into the district, it really needs a world renowned venue to pikc up things a bit. Secondly, the entertainment area needs to have more local firms. I agree, a Pharmacy would be idea; there should also be a grocery store, and a mixture restaraunts for all tastes and budget. With the growing population of downtown and the expected boom, there needs to be basic services to serve not only residents but tourists and conventioneers as well.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

does anyone know anything about Louisville's "4th Street Live!" development downtown?

the architecture looks good, and i know they have a Hard Rock going in, but what else? there are some pics of it over at ssp, but they aren't too informative.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

chriz...I've been mining all the info about 4th that I can find....haven't seen much. I know they are also getting a Jillians.

dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

A Mizzou Connection would be hella cool here

http://www.mizzouconnection.com/
LyRiCaL GanGsTa

Post by LyRiCaL GanGsTa »

Excellent idea! It would also repel bimbo/mimbo geographical stereotypes of KC being associated with KS in any way. :cheers:
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

dangerboy wrote:A Mizzou Connection would be hella cool here

That would be nice!
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

dangerboy wrote:A Mizzou Connection would be hella cool here

You messed up the name...they changed it to Mizzou Connection by Wal-Mart.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

how about Bahama Breeze? I ate at the one in Orlando. Although it was a chain, the food was great, the service good, and the atmosphere very laid back. Check out their menu at: http://www.bahamabreeze.com/index.html

It would definately be a different kind of place. I liked it.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.