Fast Food Options

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
dukuboy1
Strip mall
Strip mall
Posts: 236
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:02 pm

Fast Food Options

Post by dukuboy1 »

I know this may not be popular but I was curious why the downtown core lacks fast food options? I know we have the BK Whopper Bar, and places like Chipotle(which I'm not considering fast food).

The nearest McDonalds to downtown is roughly Linwood & Main. Plenty of options across the river in NKC. I work downtown and I have no trouble for lunch spots and enjoy visiting the chains and local places. I also know my lunch budget may be higher than others when I do eat out, which is not every day.

However fast food chains do have a place and I wonder if as the residential & office population grow if we will see some of them pop up. You go to NYC, Chicago, etc. they have locations in building and such, usually smaller dining areas, there for people to get food to go. I think it will be interesting to see who the first one is that takes a "chance" and opens a location.

There could be franchisee issues to. I find it odd that there are no Jack in Boxes, & Krispy Creme in KC area basically West of 435 & I70 on the MO side. You have to go to the Eastern suburbs or KS suburbs to find those franchises. There are none in the Northland either, so there might be some weird franchise rule in place.

But IMO I think there would be a market downtown with the surrounding close residential and proposed office space growing. I think there would be plenty of opportunities for people who would like that choice

brewcrew1000
Broadway Square
Broadway Square
Posts: 2831
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:10 am
Location: Broadway/Gilham according to google maps

Re: Fast Food Options

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Because they would probably fail without a drivethru and lots of parking

flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower
Posts: 9062
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:54 am

Re: Fast Food Options

Post by flyingember »

The reason is simple, there's competition from places that aren't major chains.

There's a staggering number of places you can get food fast for lunch.

dukuboy1
Strip mall
Strip mall
Posts: 236
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:02 pm

Re: Fast Food Options

Post by dukuboy1 »

brewcrew1000 wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:07 pm
Because they would probably fail without a drivethru and lots of parking
Interesting to think they would assume as much, given places in other cities thrive without. But I do see your point

dukuboy1
Strip mall
Strip mall
Posts: 236
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:02 pm

Re: Fast Food Options

Post by dukuboy1 »

flyingember wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:16 pm
The reason is simple, there's competition from places that aren't major chains.

There's a staggering number of places you can get food fast for lunch.
Agreed there are many places to get food fast in downtown, but the competition is not so vast that a National chain would lose out. Especially considering the projected volume uptick in convention business, more visitors from out of town looking for familiar places. Just a curious question, that may answer itself soon enough.

User avatar
KCPowercat
Ambassador
Posts: 30687
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:49 pm
Location: Quality Hill
Contact:

Re: Fast Food Options

Post by KCPowercat »

There used to be more with much less population of residents and employees. I think we will see them come back soon.

I know the McDonald's franchisee who controls downtown demands drive thrus because he sees all the drive thru sales at his other stores. I know it sounds shortsighted but this is KC.

User avatar
DColeKC
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower
Posts: 1068
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:50 am

Re: Fast Food Options

Post by DColeKC »

brewcrew1000 wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:07 pm
Because they would probably fail without a drivethru and lots of parking
Exactly. Biggest McDonald’s franchise owner in KC told me they’ll never do a McDonald’s in KC without a drive through. For my personal health, I’m happy about this!

User avatar
KCPowercat
Ambassador
Posts: 30687
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:49 pm
Location: Quality Hill
Contact:

Re: Fast Food Options

Post by KCPowercat »

Doesn't really make sense. Seems that franchisee could reach out to other urban stores and realize how incorrect that is

Taco Bell survived for years in the bowels of city center square.

User avatar
GRID
City Center Square
City Center Square
Posts: 14767
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2003 12:20 pm
Contact:

Re: Fast Food Options

Post by GRID »

In the 90's, the City Center Sq McDonalds and the Plaza Mcdonalds were both two of the busiest in the metro.

I'm surprised Downtown doesn't have more of not only fast food, but general retail. Seems like the downtown population is high enough now that there should be more basic retail. I'm sure it's coming.

User avatar
normalthings
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Posts: 4491
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:52 pm

Re: Fast Food Options

Post by normalthings »

dukuboy1 wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:29 am
I know this may not be popular but I was curious why the downtown core lacks fast food options? I know we have the BK Whopper Bar, and places like Chipotle(which I'm not considering fast food).

The nearest McDonalds to downtown is roughly Linwood & Main. Plenty of options across the river in NKC. I work downtown and I have no trouble for lunch spots and enjoy visiting the chains and local places. I also know my lunch budget may be higher than others when I do eat out, which is not every day.

However fast food chains do have a place and I wonder if as the residential & office population grow if we will see some of them pop up. You go to NYC, Chicago, etc. they have locations in building and such, usually smaller dining areas, there for people to get food to go. I think it will be interesting to see who the first one is that takes a "chance" and opens a location.

There could be franchisee issues to. I find it odd that there are no Jack in Boxes, & Krispy Creme in KC area basically West of 435 & I70 on the MO side. You have to go to the Eastern suburbs or KS suburbs to find those franchises. There are none in the Northland either, so there might be some weird franchise rule in place.

But IMO I think there would be a market downtown with the surrounding close residential and proposed office space growing. I think there would be plenty of opportunities for people who would like that choice
I would much rather see local entrepreneurs launch a few food counters than support a national change. Chick-Fil-A is probably the only franchise I would support downtown due to their good working conditions and community engagement.

User avatar
beautyfromashes
Oak Tower
Oak Tower
Posts: 5221
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:04 am

Re: Fast Food Options

Post by beautyfromashes »

You have a Chipotle and Burger King, Jimmy Johns (eww), KFC/Pizza Hut, Picklemans and plenty of counter places. What else do you need/want?

User avatar
KCPowercat
Ambassador
Posts: 30687
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:49 pm
Location: Quality Hill
Contact:

Re: Fast Food Options

Post by KCPowercat »

I mean a McDonald's obv

User avatar
normalthings
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Posts: 4491
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:52 pm

Re: Fast Food Options

Post by normalthings »

beautyfromashes wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:28 pm
You have a Chipotle and Burger King, Jimmy Johns (eww), KFC/Pizza Hut, Picklemans and plenty of counter places. What else do you need/want?
Where is the Pizza Hut/KFC?

User avatar
WSPanic
Supporter
Posts: 3807
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:57 pm

Re: Fast Food Options

Post by WSPanic »

Really? Am I going to have to be the first the one to say it? Where the hell is STL Dan when you need him?!?!?

The answer is Lion's Choice. Carry on.

swid
New York Life
New York Life
Posts: 426
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:29 pm
Location: Financial District

Re: Fast Food Options

Post by swid »

normalthings wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:17 pm
Where is the Pizza Hut/KFC?
I'm guessing that's a conflation of the Pizza Hut location on Broadway with the former Pizza Hut/KFC combo location on Petticoat.

User avatar
KCPowercat
Ambassador
Posts: 30687
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:49 pm
Location: Quality Hill
Contact:

Re: Fast Food Options

Post by KCPowercat »

Probably thinking of the old old KFC Pizza hut that is now a Chinese place. The franchisee of that place retired but was very successful

mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President
Posts: 3091
Joined: Sat May 31, 2008 7:00 pm

Re: Fast Food Options

Post by mgsports »

DKM Burger,Mad Greens and so on. Also Pizza Ranch,Kneaders Bakery,Capriotti's,Del Taco,McCalister's Deli,Zaxbys,Raising Canes,Slims Chicken and so on.

User avatar
beautyfromashes
Oak Tower
Oak Tower
Posts: 5221
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:04 am

Re: Fast Food Options

Post by beautyfromashes »

KCPowercat wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:28 pm
Probably thinking of the old old KFC Pizza hut that is now a Chinese place. The franchisee of that place retired but was very successful
Yeah, I forgot it closed. I’d say we have some good options for fast food DT today depending on what area. I get the McD want, but I’d prefer local places reign DT instead of chains.

User avatar
TheLastGentleman
Valencia Place
Valencia Place
Posts: 1950
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:27 pm

Re: Fast Food Options

Post by TheLastGentleman »

mgsports wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:37 pm
DKM Burger,Mad Greens and so on. Also Pizza Ranch,Kneaders Bakery,Capriotti's,Del Taco,McCalister's Deli,Zaxbys,Raising Canes,Slims Chicken and so on.
This is a thread made for mgsports!

Also

PIZZARANCH

dukuboy1
Strip mall
Strip mall
Posts: 236
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:02 pm

Re: Fast Food Options

Post by dukuboy1 »

Interesting discussion. I was curious why some of the bigger fast food chains weren’t around. I’m personally happy with food options & we are not lacking for options. Found it curious why other chains weren’t around trying to capitalize on business

Post Reply