Four Light

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Four Light

Post by FangKC »

I would think there would be a market for condos in 4 Light since W&R will be across the street, and employees there tend to have higher incomes than the average.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

And I think Alameda on Plaza is only KC condo building that gets concierge services from hotel. (Does SF Tower get Westin services? Any others?) Downtown could otherwise use a couple of those. Certainly a selling point.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Isn't the Indigo Hotel/Fairfax Lofts on 11th Street set up for that? I know it's part hotel and part apartments.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

I believe Power & Light Apartments can partake in the food services from the President. At least that was the case when P&L Building opened.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

Any ideas on why they are shifting away from the residential aspect. Do they feel like residential won’t grow much more?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Riverite wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:47 pm Any ideas on why they are shifting away from the residential aspect. Do they feel like residential won’t grow much more?
If the parking garage moves below ground at 3 Light, you are looking at 6 additional floors of units. 2 Light has 20 per floor on those levels so Cordish would be adding about 120 units to the mix.

Cordish is also seeing increased competition when it comes to mid-high rise apartments. Copaken, Mashburn, and 3D/Greystar are now offering similar products. Other not yet announced projects will provide even more competition. I think the market will be able to support these players but it would be smart on Cordish's part to diversify their offerings with new products to downtown - condos - and new products to P/L - hotel and office.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

I'd like to see some more mixed use stuff built downtown. The P&L District seems like the perfect location for it
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

I wonder how much of the possibility that Cordish is shifting away from apartments is due to difficulty in securing the incentives necessary to build the garages that come with apartments. As we've seen, hotels need much less parking. For those reasons, I wouldn't be surprised if 4-light was a upscale hotel/condo combo.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

kboish wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:54 am I wonder how much of the possibility that Cordish is shifting away from apartments is due to difficulty in securing the incentives necessary to build the garages that come with apartments. As we've seen, hotels need much less parking. For those reasons, I wouldn't be surprised if 4-light was a upscale hotel/condo combo.
That could make sense why they are expanding 3 Light while they can.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

4 Light could look cool and a lot less boxy if designed similar to this Cedar Rapids project.

earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Like it. Agree.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

CEDAR RAPIDS? Who knew.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

smh wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:09 pm CEDAR RAPIDS? Who knew.
Oil money
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Corn oil?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

moderne wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:39 pmCorn oil?
Ethanol, yes

When they started planning this it was likely gas was a lot higher and ethanol-gas blends were more commonly used

They were selling to oil companies, thus its oil money.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Went there last year. Surprisingly good trip. The flood also pushed them to rebuild in a different way, at least downtown.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

normalthings wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:59 am 4 Light could look cool and a lot less boxy if designed similar to this Cedar Rapids project.

It looks like a decent project. Good for Cedar Rapids but it seems strange that they can get a project like that. Maybe they’re growing more than I think.

I don’t expect 4 Light to be the tallest of the Light towers anymore. That honor will most likely will go to 3. At minimum, 4 Light should be a little taller than WR. Depending on the way things go, Strata could then show up in the skyline by peeking above 4 Light.

I guess we will find out what Cordish is really planning sooner or later. I’m excited though.

If there’s any Cordish people listening: Make 4 Light visually interesting. It seems you did it for 3 but do it for 4 too.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

That Cedar Rapids project reminds me of a new tower they just built in Baltimore.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Bad glass.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

The 4Light hotel element could be entirely killed if COVID19 harms downtown hotel occupancy even further given how many rooms coming online. Obviously CV deaths more a concern but downtown hotels being potentially overbuilt may be proven this summer. And will NCAA tournament go on? They might run the games with no fans.