Four Light

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
Link2
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: Four Light

Post by Link2 »

As far as I know, the AC Marriott Downtown is being proposed for the area of 10th & Grand.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Link2 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:49 pm As far as I know, the AC Marriott Downtown is being proposed for the area of 10th & Grand.
New construction in the parking lot? Renovation of the north west corner building currently owned by UMB? or is it the building owned by Pinnacle Hotel at the north end of that block
Link2
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Link2 »

It's the Pinnacle Hotel-owned building at the SW corner of 9th & Grand (misspoke earlier mentioning 10th & Grand).
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Isn’t cordish conflicted out of doing any hotel stuff unless they partner with it? And don’t they partner with loewes?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

WoodDraw wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:35 pm Isn’t cordish conflicted out of doing any hotel stuff unless they partner with it? And don’t they partner with loewes?
They have operated their own hotels before. IIRC, they have partnered with Belmond Hotels before (very high end) and Hard Rock. 4 Light originally had the W Hotel logo.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Looking down the road, Benjamin said Cordish officials are making plans for Four Light. Specific details could be announced in the next few months.

He pointed to two "obvious" potential development sites for Four Light — northwest of 14th and Main streets, in place of an existing retail building, and a surface lot northeast of Truman Road and Baltimore Avenue, next to B&B Theatres.

The latest terms of Cordish's Power & Light development agreement with the city provide for parking garage incentives supporting as many as six apartment towers.

Benjamin said he sees an opportunity to add more workforce or affordable housing in new-construction buildings.
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... e=twitter
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Four Light and Three light going up at once would be wonderful to see.
Rabble
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Rabble »

I've always appreciated the murals Cordish painted on the blank walls ahead of 2 Light and 3 Light. Now that the back of the Main Street theater is more prominent, with views from Loews and 1400KC, I'm hoping Cordish is considering murals on these two walls ahead of 4 Light.
Last edited by Rabble on Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

I’m hoping 4 Light starts up soon
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Rabble wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:21 pm I've always appreciated the murals Cordish painted on the blank walls ahead of 2 Light and 3 Light. Now that the back of the Main Street theater is more prominent, with views from Loews and 1400KC, I'm hoping Cordish is considering murals on these two walls ahead of 4 Light.
I don't think they will but not because of 4L. At this point, 4L is going at the corner of 14th and Main, but 5L will adjoin the theatre and hopefully break ground in the next 4-5 years.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

DColeKC wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:45 pm I don't think they will but not because of 4L. At this point, 4L is going at the corner of 14th and Main, but 5L will adjoin the theatre and hopefully break ground in the next 4-5 years.
Hmm. Interesting change by moving 4 Light from next to the theater to 14th and Main.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Is Four Light supposed to be on top of that theatre on Main? or is that 5 Light?
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

DColeKC wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:45 pm
Rabble wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:21 pm I've always appreciated the murals Cordish painted on the blank walls ahead of 2 Light and 3 Light. Now that the back of the Main Street theater is more prominent, with views from Loews and 1400KC, I'm hoping Cordish is considering murals on these two walls ahead of 4 Light.
I don't think they will but not because of 4L. At this point, 4L is going at the corner of 14th and Main, but 5L will adjoin the theatre and hopefully break ground in the next 4-5 years.
Cordish keeps saying they will start the next tower before the current one is finished and they end up being years apart from finishing one to starting the next. I'm going to assume the other towers will be the same. So 4 Light would not start construction till 2025-2027?

So what corner is 4 Light planned for at 14th and Main? Looks like it's all low rise retail, which I assume will be demolished?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

I am wondering if the 4 Light spot is being held back for now with the potential to be a large hotel or office building.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Was mentioned before that the unused retail corner NW of 14th/Main may be demolished for one of the Lights.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

earthling wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:43 pm Was mentioned before that the unused retail corner NW of 14th/Main may be demolished for one of the Lights.
exaxctly. Residential can work on a smaller floor plate like that space but office cant really get any smaller than the 4 ligth parcel.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Makes sense. A triple use taller building at the larger spot sure would be nice some day... office lower 5-10+ floors, top tier hotel 5-10 mid floors, residential 10+ top floors, shared concierge/F&B services. Parking will be the question but downtown hotels have recently shown they can do with little/none, office/residential can share to some degree. Ideally would look nothing like the other Light buildings.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

earthling wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:43 pm Was mentioned before that the unused retail corner NW of 14th/Main may be demolished for one of the Lights.
2 questions for you guys

1. Would this^ location be right next to Strata then?

2. Why wouldn't they just build on top of the retail sitting there? Could still use the street level retain in the future
horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Post by horizons82 »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:19 pm
2 questions for you guys

1. Would this^ location be right next to Strata then?

2. Why wouldn't they just build on top of the retail sitting there? Could still use the street level retain in the future
1. Cordish isn't involved in Strata at all. They essentially got screwed out of being able to claim back development rights on that parcel.

2. That retail structure at the corner of Main wasn't built to accommodate the load of an entire tower on top of it. Obviously, it's impractical in multiple senses to retrofit a secondary structural system to build over top without demo'ing the retail. Easier & less costly to tear down and start fresh.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Would they still want to add any ground floor retail/restaurants on that spot?