Three Light

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Re: Three Light

Post by DColeKC »

GRID wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:21 pm Looked it up. Three Light is smaller than Two light in sq ft, and units and it's probably about the same height now give or take a floor or two. I thought Three Light was going to be a bigger building.
Three Light is just slightly larger, but less units than 2L. 296 Vs 288. Not sure on exact "official" heights, but 3L will appear to be taller thanks to the design of the roof.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

DColeKC wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:25 pm
GRID wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:14 pm
normalthings wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:35 pm Updated info from bid websites now that more plans have rolled out:

Size: 26 stories
Scope: 288 Apartments
Start: October 26
Looks like it's a lot smaller than original. It's pretty close to the same size as 2 Light now?
At it's largest, there were going to be 322 units because of the addition of several studios. Since late 2019, they've realized there's actually a bigger demand for slightly larger units. Often the only units available in One and Two are the studios. When originally designed, The Saxton wasn't in the works yet as well. That will help fill the smaller studio and micro apartment demands.
Three Light is 507,392 sq ft. Two Light is pretty much the same sq footage, if not larger. So they are the same size. I think Three Light was originally supposed to be closer to like 560,000 sq ft.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

bryan wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:29 am Looks like they're nearly identical on height according to this and the drawings that were previously posted. Not sure on costs but sourced these numbers from that link and CityScene's article.

3 Light
  • 332 feet (303 feet occupied)
  • 32 stories
  • 321 units
1 Cardinal Way
  • 334 feet (299 feet occupied)
  • 29 stories
  • 297 units
GRID wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:06 am How does this building compare to One Cardinal Way in unites, height, cost etc? One Cardinal Way looks taller, but maybe because it's more isolated?
Is it 26 stories total? or 26 stories on top of 6 stories of garage for a total of 32 stories. Past references to the floor count have cited 32 stories as its height. Originally called for 302 units. Briefly went up to 322 units. Now is back down to 288 units. If they are simply offering larger units, that may not affect total floor count.
Last edited by kboish on Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

^I think it is 26 floors total.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Interesting.

3Light doesn't have the "L" shape of two light. I don't see how they can fit the same number of units in what looks like less floor space.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

GRID wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:41 pm
GRID wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:14 pm

Looks like it's a lot smaller than original. It's pretty close to the same size as 2 Light now?
At it's largest, there were going to be 322 units because of the addition of several studios. Since late 2019, they've realized there's actually a bigger demand for slightly larger units. Often the only units available in One and Two are the studios. When originally designed, The Saxton wasn't in the works yet as well. That will help fill the smaller studio and micro apartment demands.
Three Light is 507,392 sq ft. Two Light is pretty much the same sq footage, if not larger. So they are the same size. I think Three Light was originally supposed to be closer to like 560,000 sq ft.
Two Light is 506,000. I honestly can't remember how big it was supposed to be originally. I feel like the square footage has remained similar, but the number of units has changed based of market demand and configuration.

2L has a very large amenity space and with being able to share amenity spaces between the two buildings, they can fit more units on the amenity level at 3L.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

kboish wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:48 pm
bryan wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:29 am Looks like they're nearly identical on height according to this and the drawings that were previously posted. Not sure on costs but sourced these numbers from that link and CityScene's article.

3 Light
  • 332 feet (303 feet occupied)
  • 32 stories
  • 321 units
1 Cardinal Way
  • 334 feet (299 feet occupied)
  • 29 stories
  • 297 units
GRID wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:06 am How does this building compare to One Cardinal Way in unites, height, cost etc? One Cardinal Way looks taller, but maybe because it's more isolated?
Is it 26 stories total? or 26 stories on top of 6 stories of garage for a total of 32 stories. Past references to the floor count have cited 32 stories as its height. Originally called for 302 units. Briefly went up to 322 units. Now is back down to 288 units. If they are simply offering larger units, that may not affect total floor count.
6 parking floors and 20 residential per bidding.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Since financing is so cheap for construction, and costs are coming down due to the economy being in recession, why are they reducing the number of units when the cost per sq. foot is less expensive to build? Are they worried that occupancy levels downtown might drop soon?
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

FangKC wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:35 pm Since financing is so cheap for construction, and costs are coming down due to the economy being in recession, why are they reducing the number of units when the cost per sq. foot is less expensive to build? Are they worried that occupancy levels downtown might drop soon?
It’s basically the same size as Two Light. Biggest factor in the change is the demand is highest for larger 1+ bedroom units and the studios fill up last. Studios always have the highest turn over rate as younger new to the workforce people sign 6-12 month leases and either want to try something else or find it too expensive. There will be dozens of studios available in the Saxton project which will be perfect for many of those in the younger demo who still want very nice apartments but don’t want to pay for all the amenities.

I don’t think they are predicting a slow down in demand, but going big simply based on cheap financing could be a bad business move. Especially as they do want to go beyond 4L if possible.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

DColeKC wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:00 pm

Two Light is 506,000. I honestly can't remember how big it was supposed to be originally. I feel like the square footage has remained similar, but the number of units has changed based of market demand and configuration.

2L has a very large amenity space and with being able to share amenity spaces between the two buildings, they can fit more units on the amenity level at 3L.
Doesn't matter how you break it down. They are the same size. Nearly identical sq footage and it looks like 3 light has been shorted a bit. I just hope it's tall enough to avoid the wall effect but it does look like they tried to make it look a little different in the renderings. Maybe the angled roofline will help too.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

GRID wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:10 am

Doesn't matter how you break it down. They are the same size. Nearly identical sq footage and it looks like 3 light has been shorted a bit. I just hope it's tall enough to avoid the wall effect but it does look like they tried to make it look a little different in the renderings. Maybe the angled roofline will help too.
It will appear to be much larger. There's also one less parking level and two additional floors. Amenity space at 2L is on 8, will be on 7 in 3L. So you're basically getting 3 additional floors of units in 3L.

Combined with different windows and trim, it would be a nice change to break up the wall effect.

Edit: Amenity space is on 8, just like 2L.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

DColeKC wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:15 am

It will appear to be much larger. There's also one less parking level and two additional floors. Amenity space at 2L is on 8, will be on 7 in 3L. So you're basically getting 3 additional floors of units in 3L.

Combined with different windows and trim, it would be a nice change to break up the wall effect.

When can we expect new public renderings?
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

How will a building with the same sq footage and the same footprint appear much larger? The buildings are pretty much exactly the same size and height now.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

I think 2 light’s tower is wider than 3 light’s will be
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

GRID wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:28 am

How will a building with the same sq footage and the same footprint appear much larger? The buildings are pretty much exactly the same size and height now.
It’s 2 floors higher and has two additional facades to hide the rooftop AC with one being slanted. I guess what ones definition of looks much larger is, but I believe it will look substantially larger from the south.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

DColeKC wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:40 am
GRID wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:28 am

It’s 2 floors higher and has two additional facades to hide the rooftop AC with one being slanted. I guess what ones definition of looks much larger is, but I believe it will look substantially larger from the south.
I hope so. It's just frustrating that KC gets so few new towers and they come so far apart. I would love to see some skyline altering buildings go up in KC in my lifetime. I know tall buildings don't mean anything, but KC could use a couple new 30-50 story buildings.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

I totally agree. I’d love to see at least one 35+ go up.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

1. The project will be 300.5' from street to peak. The project does not have a 13th floor so this tower is actually 25 floors + mechanical floor + pointed crown.

2. Cordish has IFCs for this project in hand. Would expect to see permit work start up again soon. Hopefully, Cordish can beat the upcoming city furlough period.

3. 30% of the building will be Penthouses or 2 Bedrooms. 35% studios.

4. The project will cantilever over Mainstreet. The pool will cantilever further to the north.

5. Reduced size means the project will wrap up in late 2022 or very early 2023 despite continuing delays.
Last edited by normalthings on Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:27 am, edited 3 times in total.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

normalthings wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:11 am The project does not have a 13th floor so this tower is actually 25 floors + mechanical floor + pointed crown.
So stupid.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

shinatoo wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:49 am
normalthings wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:11 am The project does not have a 13th floor so this tower is actually 25 floors + mechanical floor + pointed crown.
So stupid.
I haven't been in a high rise for years that actually does have a 13th floor. Triskaidekaphobia is alive and well.