Three Light

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: Three Light

Post by moderne »

What is the height in feet of Two Light(too lazy to scroll through the 2 light thread)?
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

moderne wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:49 am What is the height in feet of Two Light(too lazy to scroll through the 2 light thread)?
I’ve seen 270’
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:58 am
moderne wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:49 am What is the height in feet of Two Light(too lazy to scroll through the 2 light thread)?
I’ve seen 270’
CTBUH's Skyscraper Center, Emporis and Google all list 272' for 2 Light.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Looking at the newest rendering, the proportions seem to remain mostly the same. A floor was taken away from the upper portion and 2 floors were taken away from what I call the main portion. It does look slightly small and fat in that rendering, but I think it will look better once built. By better, I mean taller and sleeker.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

So only about 30' higher? Essentially the height of Two, plus the slanted parapet hiding the rooftop mechanics?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

moderne wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:45 pm So only about 30' higher? Essentially the height of Two, plus the slanted parapet hiding the rooftop mechanics?
I believe the 3 Light height given by last gent is street to peak of the slanted parapet.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

3 light overall will be about 30’ taller than 2 light overall
kcmiz
Pad site
Pad site

Post by kcmiz »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:43 pm Also, here's a NEW rendering.

That parking garage cladding though! It looks like those ugly linear mosaic backsplashes that were popular in suburban kitchens 10 years ago. They were dated then.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/102668066485462702/

Please do better. Perfect spot to commission some murals by local artists.

Edit: Apparently, this is inspired by piano keys and saxophones. I’d say, try again.
On the south and east facades, a gradient from white to black was used to evoke Basie’s piano keys. On the west facade, brassy tones will honor Parker’s saxophone.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

kcmiz wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:33 pm [quote=TheLastGentleman post_id=611061 time=<a href="tel:1598579000">1598579000</a> user_id=167188]
Also, here's a NEW rendering.

That parking garage cladding though! It looks like those ugly linear mosaic backsplashes that were popular in suburban kitchens 10 years ago. They were dated then.

Edit: Apparently, this is inspired by piano keys and saxophones. I’d say, try again.
On the south and east facades, a gradient from white to black was used to evoke Basie’s piano keys. On the west facade, brassy tones will honor Parker’s saxophone.
[/quote]

I don’t think the rendering does it justice. It will be much better than the mesh over at 2L.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

DColeKC wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:04 pm
kcmiz wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:33 pm [quote=TheLastGentleman post_id=611061 time=<a href="tel:1598579000">1598579000</a> user_id=167188]
Also, here's a NEW rendering.

I don’t think the rendering does it justice. It will be much better than the mesh over at 2L.
[/quote]

What material is being used?
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Similar to the material used on OCW's parking garage levels.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

What is OCW?
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:58 pmWhat is OCW?
One Cardinal Way in St Louis. Sorry.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Cool thanks!
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

DColeKC wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:47 pm Similar to the material used on OCW's parking garage levels.
Absolutely disgusting. OCW's garage is hideous. Hopefully, Cordish does not also import the rooftop LED sign too.

Distance shot
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

I feel like you can't win with parking garage coverings and it's a very opinionated topic. In person, I think it looks great but not everyone's taste. The Cardinals organization has input and they wanted the lower portion of the building to blend in with all the brick that is prominent in BPV and the stadium.

There will be no rooftop LED for any of the lights in KC. St Louis is a sports anchored district where LED screens make much more sense. There's no advantage or purpose having a LED screen atop a hi-rise in the KC market.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

DColeKC wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:45 pm I feel like you can't win with parking garage coverings and it's a very opinionated topic. In person, I think it looks great but not everyone's taste. The Cardinals organization has input and they wanted the lower portion of the building to blend in with all the brick that is prominent in BPV and the stadium.
The OCW garage, in person, is very dark and drab. It heightens the effect of the anti-pedestrian wall along Broadway. I doubt the garage ages well. My $0.02 is that Cordish would be better off copy+pasting Two Light's garage and either saving the funds or using them for a slightly bigger mural facade or lower-level video screen.
There will be no rooftop LED for any of the lights in KC. St Louis is a sports anchored district where LED screens make much more sense. There's no advantage or purpose having a LED screen atop a hi-rise in the KC market.
Great! Lower down LED Screens would be great - maybe around the garage base. The rooftop ones just seem a bit out of place.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I like the look of both the covering and LED sign at the top. I don't think kcmo sign ordinance would allow for it though. I. Sure they could get an exception.

Not sure why sports determines the value of a sign on the roof either. Be cooler to make it art focused.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:24 pm I like the look of both the covering and LED sign at the top. I don't think kcmo sign ordinance would allow for it though. I. Sure they could get an exception.

Not sure why sports determines the value of a sign on the roof either. Be cooler to make it art focused.
Being a sports anchored development, LED signs are everywhere. Also, the desire for corporate sponsorship is elevated with one of the MLB's most popular teams both in attendance and TV ratings. So some LED signage, like the rooftop display becomes a source of revenue. 35,000 plus people will be able to see that screen for 3-5 hours, 80 times a year.

We also placed a large LED screen on the amenity deck, next to the pool strictly for game viewing. That's not a first for this developer, the Live by Loews hotel in Arlington has an awesome outdoor LED screen on the amenity floor as well.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

normalthings wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:26 pm
DColeKC wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:47 pm Similar to the material used on OCW's parking garage levels.
Absolutely disgusting. OCW's garage is hideous. Hopefully, Cordish does not also import the rooftop LED sign too.
Based only on pictures- I actually like the OCW garage better than 2L garage. I really hope that 3L garage looks nothing like 2L.

Overall, I like the look of OCW. I'm hoping 3L turns out as well.