Three Light

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
smh
Supporter

Re: Three Light

Post by smh »

Whyyyyy does MAC have any say over this kind of stuff. So crazy.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Why?
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

smh wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 5:15 pm Whyyyyy does MAC have any say over this kind of stuff. So crazy.
The other option was "nobody"?

I kid.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I think it falls under the "One Percent for Art" program, because it's technically a bridge built over a city street. MAC administers and approves those projects.

The law might also apply to any project receiving city incentives.

We need a City Planning person to chime in. I'm just speculating.

https://www.kcmo.gov/city-hall/departme ... public-art
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

smh wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 5:15 pm Whyyyyy does MAC have any say over this kind of stuff. So crazy.
I'd prefer someone does so then at least the council can be on the record against recommendations of something fugly.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

FangKC wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 7:57 pm I think it falls under the "One Percent for Art" program, because it's technically a bridge built over a city street. MAC administers and approves those projects.

The law might also apply to any project receiving city incentives.

We need a City Planning person to chime in. I'm just speculating.

https://www.kcmo.gov/city-hall/departme ... public-art
I think your first speculation seems right. The 2nd doesn't, we haven't seen/heard any "arts" money in dozens of tax incentive projects over the years.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 8:44 pm
I'd prefer someone does so then at least the council can be on the record against recommendations of something fugly.
It just makes no sense. I agree someone needs to review. I don't think it should be the same group of people who select art pieces for lobbies and parks.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

It is an odd flow.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

The whole city project review process could use an overhaul. There's too many people with say over something from incentives to art.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

And yet nothing ever sticks. Council just voted over whatever or we give exceptions.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

smh wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 7:57 am
KCPowercat wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 8:44 pm
It just makes no sense. I agree someone needs to review. I don't think it should be the same group of people who select art pieces for lobbies and parks.
It’s ridiculous. They didn’t vote no because of anything to do with the design or aesthetics. They complained about birds, suicides and the cities original master development deal. Oh, and people throwing objects off the bridge onto the street level.

Makes absolutely no sense.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Is it not climate controlled? That seems shoddy and below expectations if I rented there
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:59 am Is it not climate controlled? That seems shoddy and below expectations if I rented there
6ft tall with glass sides. Protections and proper snow/rain drainage. It’s meant to connect two outdoor spaces, so the thought is it should feel like an extension of the outdoor amenity spaces. When the outdoor spaces are closed due to weather, the bridge will be closed too.

The architect wanted to make this as clean and simple as possible to not become a point of attention. There’s no fancy artist embellishments or anything on it.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Oh that makes sense if it's connecting the outdoor spaces.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

If we must have skywalks, better for them to be way up high and not call attention to themselves.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 11:48 am Oh that makes sense if it's connecting the outdoor spaces.
It also kind of ruins my defense of this one which was that residents shouldn't be expected to dress up for a one minute walk in the snow to use amenities.

I find this use less persuasive but not a hill I'm going to fight on.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Construction was supposed to start Monday, not sure what the delay is now but I can't imagine the run in with the MAC is to blame?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

MAC issue on docket this week. Start kicked to June
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

normalthings wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 11:29 am MAC issue on docket this week. Start kicked to June
Wouldn't seem like it, but if the skybridge is denied, it will have a large impact on the project design. Mostly the top level of the parking garage where the bridge was supposed to connect to 3L. If it's denied, hoping the architects can flip the changes quickly.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

DColeKC wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 3:24 pm Wouldn't seem like it, but if the skybridge is denied, it will have a large impact on the project design. Mostly the top level of the parking garage where the bridge was supposed to connect to 3L. If it's denied, hoping the architects can flip the changes quickly.
Translation: If you reject my skybridge, I will delay the start of construction for a godawful amount of time due to "design changes", just for spite.