Three Light

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Re: Three Light

Post by DColeKC »

WoodDraw wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 4:20 pm My guess is the bias is against skywalks and not cordish.
That was brought up too, which I completely understand. Cordish pushed back with the idea that skybridges that connect office buildings to parking garages or other office buildings are problematic and do discourage people from being street level, contributing to the makeup of downtown and preventing them from spending money at street level retail. However, this skybridge connects residential to residential and they feel that it won't hurt or discourage people from leaving their apartments to go spend money downtown. Even mentioned this was a thought out concern of theres considering they own and operate the PNL district and any objects preventing potential customers from spending at street level would be detrimental to their investment.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I have no objection to this skybridge. I understand that residents don't want to go to street level in swimming suits just to get to the shared pool.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I agree as well. Amenity, private connections are okay for me. I think this one pushes the edges, but I'm fine with it. Not going to fuss about it.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Ordinance Updates:

5/19/2021 Do Pass
5/20/2021 Assigned to Third Read Calendar
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Project on the architect's website now. They use the old description from when the building was taller.
https://www.hcm2.com/projects/three-light/
Three Light is located just west of the recently completed Two Light in the exciting The Power & Light District in Kansas City, Missouri, all developed by The Cordish Companies. Like its predecessor, this newest and taller addition to the downtown skyline is a modern glass tower with masonry elements at the base. However, it boasts several distinguishing features, including its dynamic garage screen murals derived from the metrics and rhythms of classic KC jazz icons, dynamic expressed structure and rich articulation, as well as its signature silhouette against the sky.

Three Light is a 29-story, 321-unit mixed-use residential high rise building with a mix of studio, one- and two-bedroom apartments, and 39 penthouse units on the top three floors. The base of the building features the resident lobby with its entry along Truman Road to the south, and 7,650 sf of retail space along Truman Road, Walnut Street, and Main Street, adjacent to a new Streetcar stop.

Like Two Light to the east, Three Light has a generous interior amenity space and exterior terrace at the 8th level. The new terrace, overlooking the heart of the entertainment district, will be connected to it’s neighbor by a new pedestrian bridge over Walnut Street so residents can enjoy the amenities of both buildings. The sophisticated, elegant identity of the new community is manifest in this richly programmed amenity space and its cantilevered, glass-walled pool framing the view north of the Power and Light District and the Main Street corridor.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Why didn't Cordish put their outdoor amenities on the roof of the shops/restaurants of the district? It seems they could have had more amenities if they put part of them on top of the BRGR and Bristol buildings instead of all on top of the garage. This also would have allowed better connection from the residences to the district and been a benefit to the restaurants for rooftop dining.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

beautyfromashes wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 3:06 pm Why didn't Cordish put their outdoor amenities on the roof of the shops/restaurants of the district? It seems they could have had more amenities if they put part of them on top of the BRGR and Bristol buildings instead of all on top of the garage. This also would have allowed better connection from the residences to the district and been a benefit to the restaurants for rooftop dining.
Main reason is height and the thought it would make the outdoor amenities feel disconnected from the building. They did what you’re suggesting at One Light because there’s no parking garage directly below the building. I’d look for them to possibly do something similar for 4L or at least explore the option where outdoor amenities are on top of existing retail.

I’d like to see them do a rooftop pool myself.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

DColeKC wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 5:04 pm Main reason is height and the thought it would make the outdoor amenities feel disconnected from the building. They did what you’re suggesting at One Light because there’s no parking garage directly below the building. I’d look for them to possibly do something similar for 4L or at least explore the option where outdoor amenities are on top of existing retail.

So, lower the parking deck so they line up. Either bury two levels or cut the space number. Probably don’t really need that much parking.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

beautyfromashes wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 12:29 am
DColeKC wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 5:04 pm Main reason is height and the thought it would make the outdoor amenities feel disconnected from the building. They did what you’re suggesting at One Light because there’s no parking garage directly below the building. I’d look for them to possibly do something similar for 4L or at least explore the option where outdoor amenities are on top of existing retail.

So, lower the parking deck so they line up. Either bury two levels or cut the space number. Probably don’t really need that much parking.
2L garage be pretty full in my experience
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Just not practical for a high rise in those locations. Underground parking garages are expensive than you’re adding floors to reach a certain building height. So you add another 75 million to a project to simply want outdoor amenities on top of existing retail which offers no views. The views from the 2L outdoor amenities deck are fantastic. They wouldn’t be 3 floors above ground level.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

normalthings wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 7:05 am

2L garage be pretty full in my experience
Residential nested parking is almost always nearly full. The lower levels for public use are full depending on the day.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Parking lot full sign up despite lot mostly empty. Drill on site
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Walked by this
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Construction starting this Monday…. For real this time!
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

DColeKC wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:36 pm Construction starting this Monday…. For real this time!
Nice. Finally.

So when do think they will start the buildings south of 670? Before or after 4 Light or whatever the building at the Main St Theater is called?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Nice. Thanks for the update.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Cars were still parking here today.

Piece of equipment still hanging around

DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

GRID wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:46 pm
DColeKC wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:36 pm Construction starting this Monday…. For real this time!
Nice. Finally.

So when do think they will start the buildings south of 670? Before or after 4 Light or whatever the building at the Main St Theater is called?
I haven’t had much conversation about that. To be honest, I don’t think all the players were on the same page about that information coming out as quickly as it did. From past conversations, I believe 4L will go up at the corner of 14th and main before they start across the way. Things change quickly though.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

DColeKC wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:55 pm
GRID wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:46 pm
Nice. Finally.

I haven’t had much conversation about that. To be honest, I don’t think all the players were on the same page about that information coming out as quickly as it did. From past conversations, I believe 4L will go up at the corner of 14th and main before they start across the way. Things change quickly though.
Four Light is part of the existing incentives/city is ok with the development plan so it would be logical it's next just because of the money side of things
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Really think Cordish needs to offer for sale units. Or design a garage that can be converted in the future?