Three Light

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: Three Light

Post by moderne »

IBM is on HKC's most endangered by list. Both those buildings could be cleaned up nicely and bring life into an otherwise lively corridor.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

moderne wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:53 pmBoth those buildings
What's the other building you're referring to?
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

To the west, it has a ground floor and parking above.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

moderne wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:56 pm To the west, it has a ground floor and parking above.
I think I'd prefer to see that replaced by something more substantial. The more parking structures we can demolish the better!
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:40 pm The more parking structures we can demolish the better!
Developing surface lots should be higher priority.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

earthling wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:42 pmDeveloping surface lots should be higher priority.
I mean, sure, but if this block got developed, I don't think they need to preserve the parking garage.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I support saving and renovating that building -- formerly called the IBM Building. It is one of three buildings in Kansas City to have had that name. The others being one at Crown Center, and another at 301 E. Armour. There used to be a Skelly gas station on that corner.

https://kchistory.org/islandora/object/ ... m/OBJ/view

That corner used to be the location of Greenlease-O'Neill Oldsmobile.

On that rocky ledge south of 14th Street on Wyandotte was this building. I think portion of the foundation are still there.

horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Post by horizons82 »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:47 pm
earthling wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:42 pmDeveloping surface lots should be higher priority.
I mean, sure, but if this block got developed, I don't think they need to preserve the parking garage.
The issue with the western building is it doesn’t really excel at either of its uses. The parking garage is too compact and the retail is too short for how desirable/pricey the area is. Cordish or whoever would almost certainly have to tear it down to make a project feasible. Even the eastern building might have to be cut up a bit on the backside to make a new tower work.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

earthling wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:42 pm
TheLastGentleman wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:40 pm The more parking structures we can demolish the better!
Developing surface lots should be higher priority.
Sure, in an ideal world where 80-90% of surface lots aren't owned by the building next door to them.
JLowe2018
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by JLowe2018 »

FangKC wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:43 pm I support saving and renovating that building -- formerly called the IBM Building. It is one of three buildings in Kansas City to have had that name. The others being one at Crown Center, and another at 301 E. Armour. There used to be a Skelly gas station on that corner.

That corner used to be the location of Greenlease-O'Neill Oldsmobile.

On that rocky ledge south of 14th Street on Wyandotte was this building. I think portion of the foundation are still there.

I love the way that Studebaker building in the first photo looks...would be real cool if a facade (or at least design elements) like that could be recreated for the ground floors of Four Light!
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

I love the old signage back in the day before digital screens came to be.
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

horizons82 wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:51 am
TheLastGentleman wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:47 pm
The issue with the western building is it doesn’t really excel at either of its uses. The parking garage is too compact and the retail is too short for how desirable/pricey the area is. Cordish or whoever would almost certainly have to tear it down to make a project feasible. Even the eastern building might have to be cut up a bit on the backside to make a new tower work.
That garage has already lost its cool screens. They were brass colored with interlocking circles. Not sure if they were salvaged by the owner or stolen. With the popularity of mid-cen stuff, I bet they were sold somewhere. I wouldn't care if it was demo'ed
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

I am not advocating for the little bldng at 14th and Wyandotte. I am just saying cleaned up and occupied would be better than the current situation. Those 2 low rise structures are close to the scale of the Cordish 14th St strip. That Studebaker bldng on se corner 14th and Baltimore was a Deco gem. A big negative for Cordish on that demo.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I think DST demolished the Armacost building, then eventually sold the parcel to either the City or Cordish.

I think at time it was demolished, DST and Executive Hills (which then owned the theater next door) were planning to clear the entire block and talking to Great Plains (Kansas City Power & Light) about building a new headquarters building and a parking garage.
Last edited by FangKC on Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

There is a replica of the Armacost building on the Peterson Mfg campus in Grandview.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

My guesstimate of how 3 light will look from LM. It's hard to make it exact with 2 pershing blocking the street level

normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:27 pm My guesstimate of how 3 light will look from LM. It's hard to make it exact with 2 pershing blocking the street level

looks 3-4 floors too short
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

normalthings wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:32 pmlooks 3-4 floors too short
Oof.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Messed with it a bit

Here's the 3 light PNG and my original photo if anyone else with photoshop wants to play with it.

missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

Thanks. I think it's notable that the relative heights of 2, 3, and 4 lights mimic those of the Stinson, AT&T, and One Kansas City Place buildings.