Three Light

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: Three Light

Post by KCPowercat »

Agreed. Very positive turn of events.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCPowercat wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:38 am Agreed. Very positive turn of events.
I will hold my excitement until I see the new plans myself.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Thats great, should be a rule, no parking podiums on Main next to the streetcar line.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

normalthings wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:37 pm 3 Light Residential Tower per a leading construction bid website.

Status: Sub bids in and under advisement on Bid Package 1 ONLY - Plans in progress on balance of trades - To be released for bidding at later date - Excavation for Foundation start February 2020

Structural Information: 1 Building / 29 Story above grade / 6 Story below grade / Building Frame: / 579000 Total ft

Additional Features: 322 units, up to 30 of which could be condominiums

https://www.construction.com/projects/t ... al-tower/
I wouldn't get excited yet. Digging a deep hole for a parking garage is a very expensive thing to do. On top of that, I don't think there will be apartments on the second floor either. It seems odd that they say "6 Stories below grade". If anything, I expect that to be 6 floors beneath the main tower in a parking garage. So 35 floors in total. Having the amenity deck on the 7th floor makes sense and the higher the condos, the more money they can go for.

We will find out when plans become public and/or new renderings are released. Until then, don't count on getting an underground garage.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:29 pm
I wouldn't get excited yet. Digging a deep hole for a parking garage is a very expensive thing to do. On top of that, I don't think there will be apartments on the second floor either. It seems odd that they say "6 Stories below grade". If anything, I expect that to be 6 floors beneath the main tower in a parking garage. So 35 floors in total. Having the amenity deck on the 7th floor makes sense and the higher the condos, the more money they can go for.

We will find out when plans become public and/or new renderings are released. Until then, don't count on getting an underground garage.
These are my thoughts as well.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

kboish wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:38 pm
Chris Stritzel wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:29 pm

These are my thoughts as well.
Seconded
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Yeah will be surprising if below ground garage given the expense. Could Cordish be planning ultra luxury that KC has yet to see in hirise living? Though as Chris mentioned, they'd probably get more for condos that are higher (above ground garage allowing for taller building).
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

If they want an active lid over 670, surrounding it with parking podiums isn't a recipe for success.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

They would love to have the garage underground but it will come down to the numbers like usual. The less floors above ground that are dedicated to parking, the more revenue potential. According to my source, the parking garage is still being discussed but a decision will be made next week.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

DColeKC wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:13 am They would love to have the garage underground but it will come down to the numbers like usual. The less floors above ground that are dedicated to parking, the more revenue potential. According to my source, the parking garage is still being discussed but a decision will be made next week.
So is the idea that, if the parking is buried, the above ground tower stays the same height and what was above ground parking becomes space for more residential or office or etc?
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

normalthings wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:14 pm
DColeKC wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:13 am They would love to have the garage underground but it will come down to the numbers like usual. The less floors above ground that are dedicated to parking, the more revenue potential. According to my source, the parking garage is still being discussed but a decision will be made next week.
So is the idea that, if the parking is buried, the above ground tower stays the same height and what was above ground parking becomes space for more residential or office or etc?
Sounds like it
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I think putting the parking underground is great, but I don't see why Cordish would do that since it will add a lot of expense to the project. Why wouldn't they just add six more floors and keep the garage above ground? Again, I hope it goes below ground. That would be one big parking pedestal front and center of downtown.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

GRID wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:28 pm I think putting the parking underground is great, but I don't see why Cordish would do that since it will add a lot of expense to the project. Why wouldn't they just add six more floors and keep the garage above ground? Again, I hope it goes below ground. That would be one big parking pedestal front and center of downtown.
It's not necessarily the same project with parking belowground. Maybe they can add floors of leasable space for the same total support structure.

They would need a bigger foundation to go taller. More wind load, more support steel, all that.

Maybe the cost of digging a big hole is equally expensive to the cost of drilling and pouring supports?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

I found another construction bid entry that reports that 3 Light will have an underground garage. This listing was first posted in mid 2019. The first one I posted was from around the same time but had obviously been updated more recently. I don’t think this one has been.

https://www.construction.com/projects/t ... ng-garage/
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

normalthings wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:30 am I found another construction bid entry that reports that 3 Light will have an underground garage. This listing was first posted in mid 2019. The first one I posted was from around the same time but had obviously been updated more recently. I don’t think this one has been.

There will be no underground parking garage.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

DColeKC wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:41 am
normalthings wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:30 am I found another construction bid entry that reports that 3 Light will have an underground garage. This listing was first posted in mid 2019. The first one I posted was from around the same time but had obviously been updated more recently. I don’t think this one has been.

There will be no underground parking garage.
Are you aware of any coordination at the city between this project and Waddell and Reed? They are proposing to close the 1400 block of Baltimore for TWO YEARS. Combined with Truman and Walnut limitations, frequent Grand closures, this could be come a real mess. Also have to consider you can get to Wyandotte from Truman, pushing a lot of WB traffic to Broadway. Surely the professionals are on it?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

it also could prove there's plenty of extra road capacity in the system that could go to bike lanes.

The hotel project has closed truman road south for years and it's a non-issue
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

flyingember wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:04 pm it also could prove there's plenty of extra road capacity in the system that could go to bike lanes.

The hotel project has closed truman road south for years and it's a non-issue
Good point. I continue to struggle with whether shutting down full streets is actually necessary, particular with medium-size projects like W&R. We know its possible to build without shutting down a street (see One Light), but builders seem to generally take the path of least resistance which I believe to be shutting down a whole block.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

We are not a very #smartcity when it comes to coordination of road closures and the impact that has on traffic. While we have a lot of capacity the closures we have done in the past have made some big mess of the little traffic we have.

It's an easy fix (coordination, helpful signage) but we fail at easy a lot.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

You'll notice who works hard to keep access open and who doesn't. Those who need people to come down and spend money while building do their best. If you look at One Light, Two Light and soon 3L, they always try to have the least amount of impact possible of the street closures. Others, like the convention hotel and W&R could care less at this point as they don't have customers coming down until construction is complete.