Three Light

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: Three Light

Post by AlkaliAxel »

horizons82 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:38 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:03 pm According to the news article today, what DCole said here was exactly correct.

Leads me to believe he’s probably right about the south loop cap too.

I say that because yesterday a few were trying to say he was wrong.
You've said your expertise is in politics. You should be aware that in development, just like politics, a basic truth can be spun a multitude of ways to suit a variety of agendas.

"HUD is holding up 3L" is a truth that DCole shared. Claiming that it's all purely ego at HUD and that Cordish is but an innocent victim is spin. Nobody else here can (or is willing to) prove or disprove that portion of his claim.

I don't think people doubt that DCole is knowledgeable of Cordish's intentions or plans. Some are just more skeptical than others of the pro-Cordish spin.
Whether he is spinning or not, he was right. But, my point was directed towards the following conversation yesterday about the Cap- where he and another we’re arguing about the timeline. I’m just saying it gives him credibility on what he’s talking about compared to someone just spouting out guesses with no backing. He seems to have some backing with what he’s saying, and yet he takes alot of shots.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

“HUD” didn’t hold up the project, one man at HUD caused the delay. The same issues were not brought up about two light but one man took it upon himself to make it a issue this time and did so at the very last minute. After the developer had essentially lined up start dates and JED planned to begin. The developer filed all the proper paperwork and they were told everything was good to go. Once it got back to the person at HUD that the developer had started the minimal prep work, including traffic and pedestrian plans, the ego kicked in and he stretched it as long as he could.

No spin there, if Cordish did something that caused the delays, no reason to spin it.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

The main points are it should be easier to build housing AND we shouldn't build highways through the urban core.
horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Post by horizons82 »

DColeKC wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:45 am “HUD” didn’t hold up the project, one man at HUD caused the delay. The same issues were not brought up about two light but one man took it upon himself to make it a issue this time and did so at the very last minute. After the developer had essentially lined up start dates and JED planned to begin. The developer filed all the proper paperwork and they were told everything was good to go. Once it got back to the person at HUD that the developer had started the minimal prep work, including traffic and pedestrian plans, the ego kicked in and he stretched it as long as he could.

No spin there, if Cordish did something that caused the delays, no reason to spin it.

You’re claiming it’s ego. That’s your view/spin.

I’m not anti-cordish and I’m not calling you a liar. Yet you’re so damn defensive anytime anybody points out the obvious, that your posts have a pro-cordish spin.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

alejandro46 wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:34 am The main points are it should be easier to build housing AND we shouldn't build highways through the urban core.
Or the Fed Gov/whoever built the highway should be the one responsible for covering the cost to mitigate highway noise/pollution
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

alejandro46 wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:34 am The main points are it should be easier to build housing AND we shouldn't build highways through the urban core.
Or the Fed Gov/whoever built the highway should be the one responsible for covering the cost to mitigate highway noise/pollution
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

horizons82 wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:41 am
DColeKC wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:45 am “HUD” didn’t hold up the project, one man at HUD caused the delay. The same issues were not brought up about two light but one man took it upon himself to make it a issue this time and did so at the very last minute. After the developer had essentially lined up start dates and JED planned to begin. The developer filed all the proper paperwork and they were told everything was good to go. Once it got back to the person at HUD that the developer had started the minimal prep work, including traffic and pedestrian plans, the ego kicked in and he stretched it as long as he could.

You’re claiming it’s ego. That’s your view/spin.

I’m not anti-cordish and I’m not calling you a liar. Yet you’re so damn defensive anytime anybody points out the obvious, that your posts have a pro-cordish spin.
I’m claiming that because that’s what the POC at HUD said in response to the developers complaint about the delay.

I’m sure I’m defensive about certain things, just like Dave is about certain crossroads criticism.

I am 150% pro-Cordish, no secrets there. Doesn’t mean I will defend anything they do.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

This is incorrect. As soon as the correct information was filed, everything was fine. Like a guy at hud gives a fuck about stretching out a project in kc.

They just fucked up the submissions a little.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

Anyways… what’s the progress on this now? Does anyone have any updated pictures I’d love to see them
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Riverite wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:56 pm Anyways… what’s the progress on this now? Does anyone have any updated pictures I’d love to see them
The business journal just did a piece on work beginning again yesterday afternoon. So probably nothing that isn’t in the photos from one page ago.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Riverite wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:56 pm Anyways… what’s the progress on this now? Does anyone have any updated pictures I’d love to see them
drilling
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

WoodDraw wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:54 pm

This is incorrect. As soon as the correct information was filed, everything was fine. Like a guy at hud gives a fuck about stretching out a project in kc.

No, it is correct. Please present your insider information?

A guy at HUD that was holding up a permit over an issue that wasn't held up on the previous nearly identical project got pissy when he heard they were starting basic ground work and site prep. I don't care where the project is located, some people take it personal when they're ignored or not respected. They were forced to accommodate and spend more money on thicker glass amongst other 7 figure adjustments to make this person happy enough to sign off.

Now, that's first hand knowledge but if you have first hand information that it was simply a developer filing issue, please let us have it. I won't wait, because you don't.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

normalthings wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:28 pm
drilling
Yeah, nothing exiting yet. There's more drama in here than on the construction site. They've been drilling for a few weeks, sometimes starting at 6am which has of course, ticked off a few Two Light residents. The joys of downtown construction.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

DColeKC wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:46 pm
normalthings wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:28 pm
drilling
Yeah, nothing exiting yet. There's more drama in here than on the construction site. They've been drilling for a few weeks, sometimes starting at 6am which has of course, ticked off a few Two Light residents. The joys of downtown construction.
6am-10pm is of course the legal working hours in the city. In summer when it's been so humid I would work early too.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

DColeKC wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:45 pm

A guy at HUD that was holding up a permit over an issue that wasn't held up on the previous nearly identical project got pissy when he heard they were starting basic ground work and site prep. I don't care where the project is located, some people take it personal when they're ignored or not respected. They were forced to accommodate and spend more money on thicker glass amongst other 7 figure adjustments to make this person happy enough to sign off.

Now, that's first hand knowledge but if you have first hand information that it was simply a developer filing issue, please let us have it. I won't wait, because you don't.
I'm not saying I agree or disagree. Just saying what happened. There was incomplete work, Cordish went ahead, and a stop work order was issued. They corrected it and it was lifted.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

WoodDraw wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:09 pm
DColeKC wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:45 pm

I'm not saying I agree or disagree. Just saying what happened. There was incomplete work, Cordish went ahead, and a stop work order was issued. They corrected it and it was lifted.
Dumb to argue over this, so I'll say this last thing and move on. Not sure you know what happened other than what you've read on KCBJ, but you're oversimplifying it.

They filed everything correctly. The HUD guy changed up some design requirements, which caused Cordish to make changes and RE-FILE some paperwork to satisfy the changes. None of these concerns had anything to do with the soil or earth work, the environmental concerns were solely about road and city noise penetrating the units. The article makes it sound like they had concerns about the site and starting site dirt work was going against those concerns, not the case.

Anyway, glad it's underway! Semantics at this point.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

How long will it be till we start to see the first few stories built on Three Light?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:57 pm How long will it be till we start to see the first few stories built on Three Light?
Looking at the two light thread history, three months.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »