The Kill Devil Club

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: The Kill Devil Club

Post by DaveKCMO »

earthling wrote:Haven't been yet and will give it a chance but am really disappointed to see such a bright place on the web-site with white ceilings. A no-no for night spots unless trying to draw the sexagenarian Putsch's Cafeteria crowd. Need to check it out firsthand before judging but hmm.
you must be looking at the wrong pic. KDC is way dark. the only offense is the foyer right outside that is stark white. once you're inside, though, it's all darkity-dark.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

OK, cool. The many pics on website gave impression of bright w/white ceiling.
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by WinchesterMysteryHouse »

Alright, a legit venue that's cool. Good work
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

FangKC wrote:It would be great if a couple of raunchier clubs would open along Broadway in the old Tanner's space, Seiden's Fur, or that other building north of Majestic Steakhouse. Maybe one of them could be a permanent burlesque and vaudeville club. The rents in these buildings would be much cheaper probably than at P&L, and they would add some "color" to the downtown entertainment mix. Sometimes I think downtown is too sterile.

I had a friend in town this past weekend. He moved from here in the 80's.

He's been back a number of times and appreciates the improvements to downtown. However, he noted that the city really effed up by removing the 12th Street strip, between Central and Wyandotte.

This guy travels extensively and he said "the strip was less than fancy, but every time I was there, I had a great time. They need to figure out how to do something a little bit more like that. P & L is too formula."
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

loftguy wrote:This guy travels extensively and he said "the strip was less than fancy, but every time I was there, I had a great time. They need to figure out how to do something a little bit more like that. P & L is too formula."
I think some people look back at the strip with rose-colored glasses. It did extend to a joint on the NE corner of Baltimore and 12th and not that it was a strip joint but I think it was wrestler Bulldog Bob Brown who had a bar on the south side of 12th. Like the downtown movie houses though in the early 70's the strip was going downhill - except for when a convention was in town.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

How is this place doing? Busy?
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Highlander wrote:How is this place doing? Busy?
I went to a movie at the Alamo about a month ago on a Friday night. We had over an hour to kill so we thought we'd go in for drinks. The doorman said there was a $10 cover without reservations, but the place wasn't even half full and the doorman was steadfast about the cover. We ended up deciding we'd just drink at the Chesterfield instead. I'd love to check out the Kill Devil, but would definately make resos next time.