P&L to build club called "Hotel"?

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

P&L to build club called "Hotel"?

Post by KCMax »

Is this a parody or real? I can't tell.

TKC BREAKING AND EXCLUSIVE NEWS!!! KANSAS CITY'S FAILING P&L DISTRICT IS GOING TO BUILD A DOWNTOWN HOTEL!!!
CONSTRUCTION ON A DOWNTOWN P&L DISTRICT HOTEL IS ALREADY UNDERWAY AS THE BELEAGUERED AND MONEY LOSING ENTERTAINMENT DISTRICT SEEMS TO BE GETTING DESPERATE!!!

Now, it's not this kind of hotel . . .

Nope . . .

THE P&L DISTRICT IS BUSY BUILDING A DUMBASS DOWNTOWN HOTEL THEMED CLUB CALLED . . . YOU GUESSED IT . . . HOTEL!!!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: P&L to build club called "Hotel"?

Post by KCPowercat »

Hotel was planned years ago for the corner by howl at the moon. Haven't heard of renewed construction but guess it would be time for some new blood.

Way I remember it would be like the old XO. There was another hotel at another cordish development I believe Louisville.

What they should go for is a big dance club that's gay friendly. KC hasn't really had one since DB closed.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

KCPowercat wrote: What they should go for is a big dance club that's gay friendly. KC hasn't really had one since DB closed.
that is a really good idea.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

There has been a rumor that Missie B's might go into the space where America's Pub was in Westport.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

What space is will this go in? across from old raglan road?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Actually I believe next to Johnny's and howl at the moon on the 2nd floor in the corner.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

it amazes me how many empty places there still are in p&l.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Especially in the light of the Plaza and Westport adding new tenants all the time. Remember all the fears P&L would "kill" those two districts?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

It does? Seems to be a product of the economy and an unknown location....and ahole landlord by some accounts.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Yes, I'm been thinking for awhile not that Cordish probably shouldn't be running this show anymore.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

considering the plaza is killing it right now with retail/restaurants and westport seems to be turning over a new leaf, I don't think the "its the economy" excuse works. If cordish wanted to fill that place out they could. how can they figure that asking for ungodly rents and empty storefronts is better than lowering rents for a time and filling out the district?
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

kboish wrote:considering the plaza is killing it right now with retail/restaurants and westport seems to be turning over a new leaf, I don't think the "its the economy" excuse works. If cordish wanted to fill that place out they could. how can they figure that asking for ungodly rents and empty storefronts is better than lowering rents for a time and filling out the district?
They must think that they can make more money by waiting. That's all I can figure.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Plaza is a nationally known commodity and westport is a locally known as a long time neighborhood. I also think variety of landlords helps in westport. Power and light is not a known commodity at this point. So yes the economy is improving....but those established centers will get tenants quicker coming out of an economic downturn. I'm not a cordish apologist but there is obviously many factors at work here.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

How many more years will P&L have to be there before it is a "known commodity"?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Obviously that's up to each business making the decision but bouncing it up against the original outdoor mall that draws in national exclusive tenants and one of the more established entertainment neighborhoods in the city??? Maybe give it more than 5 years?

Obviously its had its struggles getting going.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

They've been working on that corner for a few weeks now. At first I thought they were just creating a new entrance to the upstairs for the parking garage folks, so I didn't mention it here. Now that I think about it, there is a pretty significant second floor corner space that is a wasteland on the top level of P&L (the Northeast corner above Johnny's). I'm sure this place will do well during large events, but it will probably have the same limited big event appeal as the Rock Bar or Tengo Sed or the cowboy bar. Really, I'm just glad they are filling a space so that they can refocus on areas outside of the Live block.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Those upper level places are very popular outside of big events. Those are what have lines out the door on weekends from my experience.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

KCPowercat wrote:Those upper level places are very popular outside of big events. Those are what have lines out the door on weekends from my experience.
Agreed. Seems like the times I'm at P&L there are lines outside Rock Bar, Shark Bar, Howl at the Moon, and PBR Bar.
Pork Chop
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Pork Chop »

Here's the article from the KCStar:
An art deco hotel-themed venue, fittingly called Hotel Nightclub...will have a spacious dance floor, a bar area, private booths and an outdoor patio. It is to open March 16 in a 5,000-square-foot space on the second level of the Kansas City Live Block, above Johnny’s Tavern.

The nightclub will have a first-floor entrance at the corner of 13th Street and Grand Boulevard with valet parking, concierge service and a private VIP elevator to the club’s main level on the second floor. Most customers will use the stairs.
http://www.kansascity.com/2012/02/10/34 ... light.html